Are there airlines you avoid for long international travel?

txflood33

On 9/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, FlyerTalker said:

There is no "China Air".  There are several PRC airlines that DL codeshares with, including China Eastern and China Southern.  Delta also codeshares with "China Airlines", which is Taiwanese, not PRC.

I find this interesting, as you are probably flying on "Air China", a PRC airline.  However, Air China is not a codeshare partner with DL, nor is it in SkyTeam (instead is with Star Alliance).

Could you be confusing China Eastern with your "China Air"?

All of which points out why abbreviating airline names can be an issue.

Just a comment about "China Airlines" which is a Taiwanese airline and not connected with the mainland Chinese carriers.  The best Business Class flight we have ever had was on a long China Airlines flight (777) from JFK to Taipei.  The lay flat seats were very comfy and in reverse herringbone configuration.  Service was near perfect and the quality of food and booze far better then what we get on any USA carrier.  Consider that Johnnie Walker Blue is available in Business Class (they had to open a new bottle for me).    When it comes to the various airlines with "Chinese" in their name it is wise to use the full name to avoid any confusion.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, Alsmez said:

My last flight to Europe (NYC to Berlin) was on TAP Air, a Portuguese airline. I connected in Lisbon on both legs. It is a budget line, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that on the NYC-Lisbon leg, the service was excellent, the plane seats comfortable enough, and the food and wine reasonably good. The shorter flight from Lisbon to Berlin was on a smaller plane with smaller, less comfortable seats, but it was tolerable. I would fly with them again if the price were right.

I just flew TAP from Barcelona to Newark with a stop in Lisbon, business class.  No problems at all.  The lie flat seats were comfortable, food was fine, and we made it to New York a half hour early.  I booked with Celebrity Air for a little over $1k ( one way) when the other airlines wanted almost $4k.  If you join their FF club, you can get a “fast track” through Barcelona security.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, agathasmum said:

We flew Cathay non-stop from Washington Dulles to Hong Kong and back Feb/March of this year. It was a 16 hour flight (yikes!) so we booked premium economy. I thought it was a good product. Champagne and hot towel when we boarded. Good quality food on board (compared to United, at least). Seat that reclined and had a foot rest. Wide choice of movies on a large setback TV.

I would recommend them.

We sailed Cunard, but my review (link below) does describe the flights and has photos of the in flight meals.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=652581

Great review of your cruise.  Thanks