Gross question - but here it goes -

15 hours ago, FLgal0214 said:

I used the public bathrooms for #1, never for #2.  Just wondered why so many people didn't go back to their own cabins for #2.  OR bring some poopouri along if they were going to use the public bathrooms for #2.  Many times I did walk to back to our own cabin to use the bathroom, even for #1 because the smell was so bad in the pool & Windjammer bathrooms. 

Just pee in the pool😉🤣☝️

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have often used public restrooms in hotels etc.. when sharing a room with 3 other girlfriends.. I dont want to be the one who stinks up the bathroom. and I hate knowing people are outside of the door. Now on a cruise never, as I travel with family.. though I might tell DH to take his ***** elsewhere and make use of the public toilets on our next cruise.  I know on  Disney per many threads,  DHs are often kicked out or leave freely  and use the showers in Senses Spa/gym.  these are larger and more comfortable and I would assume the men take care of their other business beforehand too. 

• Like 2

I was on Jewel, another Radiance class ship like Brilliance, and there was an occasional sewage smell wafting through public areas. It wasn't constant or overpowering, but you know it when you smell it. I have no idea what causes that but it was noticeable and not contained within restrooms so I don't think it was direct #2 smell. 

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Have you seen the massive sizes and rising level of obesity of many of today's American cruisers? These people are carrying 4 plates at a time in the buffet putting down mammoth amounts of food and move like snails ...... They probably can't make it to their own stateroom in time to poop ......  Sorry, truth .........

Definitely true...

• Like 1

Consider two important things:

1. Consider the amount of defecation that occurs on any ship. There WILL be odors.
2. Consider the engineering behind controlling the amount of poop being treated and the piping, commodes, etc. 

Interesting topic, but you have to marvel at the situation. You're on a ship with many others who poop 2-4 times a day. 

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

1. Consider the amount of defecation that occurs on any ship. There WILL be odors.
2. Consider the engineering behind controlling the amount of poop being treated and the piping, commodes, etc. 

Interesting topic, but you have to marvel at the situation. You're on a ship with many others who poop 2-4 times a day. 

The engineering of a sanitation plant on a ship, has to be incredible working machine.

Sometimes when it hits me and I can’t make it back to my cabin and  I’m making  a beeline to the men’s room I’m hoping there is a toilet available and find one in the nick of time I’m always very relieved in more ways than one.

• Haha 1

Gosh yes...I hope they use the shared bathrooms when they need it.  Would much rather they did that then to have the alternative ......when they could not make it back to their cabin.   

Code brown...deck six. 😝

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Gosh yes...I hope they use the shared bathrooms when they need it.  Would much rather they did that then to have the alternative ......when they could not make it back to their cabin.   

Code brown...deck six. 😝

Now that's funny. The visual of someone frantically double timing it back to their cabin...😬

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

The visual of someone frantically double timing it back to their cabin...😬

And  hopefully not "leaving a trail"....Uggh....now there is a visual for you!!  😲😵 

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

The Advanced Waste Water Treatment Plants on cruise ships are really nothing more than an accelerated septic tank.  It works exceptionally well, but it's not rocket science.  The toilets are equally simple, three moving parts:  a pneumatic timing device, a water valve and a discharge valve.

• Like 5

My wife tells me that, many times the stalls in the womens rooms have commodes that have not been flushed after number 2. It is a common occurance. 

Some people are PIGS and can't take the time to flush. They can use a paper towel. Or if able use their foot to flush. My wife has seen them come out of the stall dressed to the nines. And not bother to flush. She tells them "lady you forgot something" . But most of the time they keep walking.    

I believe women are the worst offenders. Because I don't find the mens rooms that bad, and I'm on water pills so I'm a frequent flyer.

Edited by rt1092
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Artemus said:

When I flush the toilet and  I’m sitting on it I’m sometimes afraid the suction will pull my intestines out.

Beats taking Exlax.    LOL