Is Spa Pass Worth the Cost?

dhalpert

My wife and I are on the May 12th cruise to Bermuda on the Escape.  Trying to decide if its worth the $200pp to buy the spa pass before the cruise.  Sounds very relaxing but I'm afraid it may be too crowded and it's a bit pricey. What do you all think?

They don't oversell the passes, to that's not usually a concern. It is quite relaxing and quiet. There is a terrific review out there if you google ncl escape thermal spa. Might help you decide. In any case, Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhalpert said:

My wife and I are on the May 12th cruise to Bermuda on the Escape.  Trying to decide if its worth the $200pp to buy the spa pass before the cruise.  Sounds very relaxing but I'm afraid it may be too crowded and it's a bit pricey. What do you all think?

I've have Spa Passes 6 or 7 times, Never have I've seen it busy. If you have a couple cool rainy sea days it could be very worth it....

Edited by Laszlo

1 hour ago, dhalpert said:

You are probably going to have to wait until you get on the ship to buy them. We are on the same cruise and tried buying them online as well as tried calling NCL. They are no longer selling them online or by calling however they said there should be no problem buying then once you board. 

2 hours ago, dhalpert said:

It's worth every penny. We never sail without a spa pass. 

My husband and I always book a spa suite only slightly higher than a balcony

the bathroom is better and the spa is great

even after a day at the beach to relax in the thermal pool and those great lounges is great you can also check and see if a spa mini suite or balcony is available

you may be able to get a day pass

check it out

I posted in another thread that we became Spa Pass buyers when we started cruising on the new NCL mega ships.  I have to get some pool/jacuzzi time on every cruise and the pools are just too damn small and crowded on the big ships.  In addition, the thermal suites on the new ships are fabulous.  

For us it has been hit or miss as far as "crowds" in the thermal suites.  It's never anything like on the pool deck, but occassionally the warming beds will be all full.  However, we've also had many times where we practically have the whole place to ourselves (just check it out on a port day).  Overall, we're quite happy to spend the extra $200/each and just budget it in to our overall cruise fare.

11 hours ago, dhalpert said:

I was able to call and book the spa pass this evening.  I also notice the select button in the spa section is there again.

What # did you call? I called last week and they said pre bookings were all sold out. The select button is available when you actually go into the option it doesn't allow you to add it to your cart and says "Book once on board"

I called the main NCL number who transferred my to some special department where I was able to reserve a spa pass.  I actually got a conformation email saying I had successfully signed up for the pass.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:20 PM, dhalpert said:

let's face it, like so many other things in life, there is no clear cut answer. Everyone has a different idea. For us, absolutely not. For others that is one of the fun parts of sailing. I guess it is very relaxing for many. We did give it a try one time. That was enough. 

I totally lucked into spa passes for my last cruise (called the old upgrade number a few days before the cruise to see if I could upgrade to a balcony for cheap, she gave me the "only balcony left"... turned out to be a spa balcony! Score!). I absolutely LOVED it! I think I went every day of the cruise. It was never completely deserted when I went, but it was never what I would consider 'crowded'. Now whether that is just because of the week I happened to be on the ship or because of the time of day I usually went to the spa, I have no clue. Just because it isn't busy during one week, doesn't mean it isn't packed during the next.

Regardless, I loved it so much that I am planning to purchase a pass for my upcoming cruise! (Assuming they don't sell out before I get there.)

I always buy the spa pass because the pool with all the different features is very therapeutic for my joint pain. I'm not a pool person, so it's much less crowded and more relaxing. The heated tile loungers are the icing on the cake.

at Norwegians outrageous price, NO.

realized that Today when I logged into my Holland America reservation and saw that a Thermal Spa pass for a  couple is $219 for the week.  That’s less than a single pass on Norwegian. I don’t understand why the excessive charge don’t care either as Norwegian will never get a nickel or dime from me for their overpriced spa. 

2A922085-F762-4CF3-98E5-ED230B03E22C.jpeg

Not a "Spa" type person, however I loved it and have had it on all 3 NCL cruises.

The therapeutic pool is heaven as noted above. The whole Spa is just a relaxing atmosphere.

7 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

realized that Today when I logged into my Holland America reservation and saw that a Thermal Spa pass for a  couple is $219 for the week.  That’s less than a single pass on Norwegian. I don’t understand why the excessive charge don’t care either as Norwegian will never get a nickel or dime from me for their overpriced spa. 

well I guess we know how you feel. why they charge so much? Heck if people want to buy the passes and are not complaining about the price that difference should this make to you? 

Whether or not it's worth it is going to be totally subjective depending on the person.  We usually try to get an inside cabin near the spa.  Having access to the spa helps make up for some of the lost room/conveniences of having the inside cabin.  We don't have use the pools or baths that much.  But you get use of the showers, a roomy place to groom yourself, a place to sit and look out the window with a cup of tea, etc.  Plus, sometimes we just like a quiet place to get away.  Sometimes on cruises it's hard to find a quiet place during the day.

So, for us, as a supplement to having an inside cabin it's really worth it.

8 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

We have just booked spa  passes for our Epic cruise in Europe, £206 for the two of us .Maybe because it is port intensive, but we have been to many ports before so we intend to stay on board and enjoy the facilities :)