Cruise Critic Community
mousefan73

Rome Colosseum online tickets "pickup at ticket office" How long wait?

I wanted to buy online coloesseum tickets. But as we have children, I learned that all reduced ticket prices you still can buy online, but have to pick the tickets up at the ticket office. This is a way defeats the skip the line purpose right? Granted we are guarentteed entrance..

How long is the process then to pick prepaid tickets up? We are there in June.. 

Another idea is I bite the bullet and just buy 2 adult fares for my kids, then the system allow print onine.  

WWYD? I mean a 15 minute wait is ok, but not an hour.

thanks

I would just pay for the kids' tickets. There is no guarantee how long the line is -- sometimes it takes a few minutes just to figure out where you need to go with all the separate lines now. And if you are going to be there in the summer, it will be absolutely teeming with people. 

We haven't gone yet, but we bought tickets for our kids even though technically they could get reduced/free tickets.  If we were in Rome prior to or after the cruise I might have tried to save the money, but with one port day only, I would rather not spend extra time waiting in line to 'buy' the reduced/free tickets.

There are two types of tickets that I could purchase online when there in Sept 2018.  One was date/time specific;  the other was only date specific. My tour company actually made mention of long lines and suggested that entry might not be a good choice.  I mistakedly purchased the latter as I was not certain as to what time we would arrive on our tour.   Huge mistake as we spent a good 45 minutes standing in line to get our actual tickets then another line for security.  By the time that we actually entered, we had to basically run in, take a couple of quick photos and try to find our way out.  WARNING:  IF you need to use the toilets (we could only find one set), tack on another line and associated wait.  We were late getting back to our tour group of eight (none of the others went inside) which was not fair to them.  Let your tour company buy the tickets as they know what to buy and for what time.  

Just got back from Rome and also had to pick up our tickets at the office.  We had the email showing what time our reservation was for.  Plenty of people there directing you on where to go.  Go to the line where people have their tickets or emails for a specified time.  Guard allows you to get on the line about 15-20 minutes before your stated time.  Once we got inside there was the ticket counter with a designated window to pick up tickets that were reserved online.  Only about a minute or 2 deviation from those that already had their tickets in hand.  This was in May, don't know if lines would be longer in the summer.  There was a 3 hour wait for those without tickets!