Edge just featured on CBS Sunday Morning

BarbinMich

CBS Sunday Morning, a news magazine show, just had a feature on the Edge. Their long-time correspondent, Martha Teichner, got to sail on the ship and narrated this feature.  Don't know her cruising history (don't think she mentioned any), but it was certainly a well-done piece highlighting all the new features on the ship. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

Though it interesting they stayed completely away from the Infinite Vernada's.

Infinite Verandas?  Guess I'm not totally up on all the Edge's features.  One of the cool things they showed was the "Magic Carpet" in motion.  Don't know why they call it that as it's more like an very large open elevator with seating ;-).  I would think it would be pretty windy to sit out there when the ship is underway plus the MC is also moving up and down at the same time.

Just looked at X's website and learned about the IV's--can totally open your balcony and cabin to fresh air.  Not sure how that works with the AC.  Also, interestingly, it looks there are Inside cabins between the IV's and the hall; they can be connected to two of the 4 IV's so I guess it's like a mega family cabin.

Edited by BarbinMich

Great segment.Would LOVE to sail the Edge, but financially, I'll have to settle on the Equinox, or other S Class ships. Booked on the Equinox now at almost half of what the Edge would be on a comparable cruise one day apart.

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Great segment.Would LOVE to sail the Edge, but financially, I'll have to settle on the Equinox, or other S Class ships. Booked on the Equinox now at almost half of what the Edge would be on a comparable cruise one day apart.

On comparable cabin comparison are the rates higher?  Such as Inside to Edge Inside and Oceanview to Edge Oceanview?

Edited by BarbinMich

Don't think I'd like those Infinite Verandas at any price.  Just looked into them on the X website.  There are small connecting cabins between the IVs and the hall.  Convenient for families and friends.  But does one really want stangers on 3 sides of their expensive cabin?  Hope the soundproofing is really good.

We're happy with OV.  We were on Deck 3 just off the Aft elevators, so convenient to everything.  Only used the elevators if we needed to get up to deck 14.  Traveled with our kids (ha ha 57 years old) and had a great time.  Got a fabulous price about 9 months out that included obc and drink pkg (on line).   We had booked another cruise but changed to the Edge for about $200 more pp for the week.  Very exciting to see the new ship.  Loved the 4 dining rooms.  The steak house was a disappointment as noise from the Grand Plaza was just too loud.  I'm sure they'll fix that.  Service throughout the ship was outstanding, lots of bartenders everywhere.  Still love the S-class ships the best, but very glad we got to try the new ship. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Don't think I'd like those Infinite Verandas at any price.  Just looked into them on the X website.  There are small connecting cabins between the IVs and the hall.  Convenient for families and friends.  But does one really want stangers on 3 sides of their expensive cabin?  Hope the soundproofing is really good.

I don't know which cabins you are talking about? Could you please tell me which IV's have small connecting cabins between the IVs and the hall?

5 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

One of the cool things they showed was the "Magic Carpet" in motion.  Don't know why they call it that as it's more like an very large open elevator with seating ;-).  I would think it would be pretty windy to sit out there when the ship is underway plus the MC is also moving up and down at the same time.

Guests aren’t allowed to be on the MC when it’s in motion, presumably for safety precautions.

13 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I did have to laugh that they figured out that the martini olives were too small in the 3-D lab, but not that the IV balcony would work better if they had just made it a little bigger. 🙂 

Exactly!!!

14 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I don't know which cabins you are talking about? Could you please tell me which IV's have small connecting cabins between the IVs and the hall?

I think they mean the cabins on decks 7-11.  Midship startboard side.

17 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I did have to laugh that they figured out that the martini olives were too small in the 3-D lab, but not that the IV balcony would work better if they had just made it a little bigger. 🙂 

That 3D experience may be good for having a more realistic (not perfect) idea of how the design drawings will look in real life. But walking through that 3D CAVE certainly didn't let them *sit* on the chairs and couches and physically experience the discomfort and low rise of the "stylish" seating. I have heard lots of complaints about Edge seating in Eden and other spaces being too low for older people to get up and down comfortably. Probably no biggie for someone under 45, but once you get above 50 the knees and hips aren't so keen about sitting that low to the floor.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, gatour said:

I think they mean the cabins on decks 7-11.  Midship startboard side.

I was thinking that too, but they are sky suites (S3's), not IV's. I have been in those and they are connected by a hallway, not a connecting door in the cabin, so less noise most likely.

Anyway, I just didn't want people reading this thread who don't know much about the Edge to think that in an IV they will "have strangers on 3 sides." 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

The Infinite View cabins start on Deck 6 (6184, 6188, 6190, 6194); all are on starboard side.  Adjoining them towards the hall are 6182 and 6186 (parallel with the hall and perpendicular to the IV cabins).  It appears the 6 cabins share a vestibule, off the hall, although it may be 2 separate vestibules, side by side.  The arrangement is similar up through Deck 12 and I assume they're all in a "stack", i.e. one above the other.  Thus, there are 36 of these cabins on the ship.  Is it possible that the "Magic Carpet" passes along these cabins?  Looks like it in the attached photo.  

Edge starboard view.webp

On any ship, there are ‘strangers’ all over the place, kind of the point of a cruise. And on 3 sides on a cabin?? Not how cabins with Balconies can be designed. A few of the Inside cabins have a cabin with a common bulkhead (Navy talk!) behind them and both sides, but that’s it.

We tried the Infinite Balcony and loved it. Some won’t but we found it much handier.....for us....than a standard balcony. I was about to suggest we post about things we’ve experienced, but then there would be a drop of at least 50% of the posts.....and probably more than a few of mine.!

Den

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

The Infinite View cabins start on Deck 6 (6184, 6188, 6190, 6194); all are on starboard side.  Adjoining them towards the hall are 6182 and 6186 (parallel with the hall and perpendicular to the IV cabins).  It appears the 6 cabins share a vestibule, off the hall, although it may be 2 separate vestibules, side by side.  The arrangement is similar up through Deck 12 and I assume they're all in a "stack", i.e. one above the other.  Thus, there are 36 of these cabins on the ship.  Is it possible that the "Magic Carpet" passes along these cabins?  Looks like it in the attached photo.  

Edge starboard view.webp 399.29 kB · 3 downloads

Yes, those are the ones I am referring too in my above response.

When I had looked this a few months ago, I came to the same conclusion in regards to the Magic Carpet passing along these cabins.

3 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

The Infinite View cabins start on Deck 6 (6184, 6188, 6190, 6194); all are on starboard side.  Adjoining them towards the hall are 6182 and 6186 (parallel with the hall and perpendicular to the IV cabins).  It appears the 6 cabins share a vestibule, off the hall, although it may be 2 separate vestibules, side by side.  The arrangement is similar up through Deck 12 and I assume they're all in a "stack", i.e. one above the other.  Thus, there are 36 of these cabins on the ship.  Is it possible that the "Magic Carpet" passes along these cabins?  Looks like it in the attached photo.  

Edge starboard view.webp 399.29 kB · 6 downloads

Those 4 suites between the Magic Carpet rails midship starboard from deck 6 to 12 are Sky Suites (S3's). They are not Infinite Verandas - they have traditional open balconies. If you look at the deck plans and look at the key below you will see that those light blue staterooms are all S3's.   Only two staterooms are connected in each hallway or alcove. I have walked down those hallways and there are two cabins in each - there are four pairs of connected cabins (1 suite and 1 inside or IV). Deck 12 S3's don't have any connecting cabins, only the S3's on decks 6-11.

Here are some pictures of 11166 (inside cabin)  and an S3 Sky Suite (11168) hallway - the first picture is by the outside door to both cabins.  The S3 is one of the suites between the Magic Carpet rails. Below see the hallway that I walked down to get to the suite (straight ahead) - the inside cabin was on the left (11166).  The last picture is the view of the Magic Carpet rail to the left of the balcony. Yes, the Magic Carpet passes by these suites a few times/day. I have watched it happen. It is pretty cool to watch!  🙂

image.thumb.png.a34a91cb7d0114ebe6b32ddfff3ab3bf.png

image.thumb.png.e1a3c30d6b71dae4e57d98e53d81abf5.png

image.thumb.png.20857d16ff5c981acfb322bc8f0a488f.png

image.thumb.png.7293ef39b8dc8473b673a99a511f8f32.png

image.thumb.png.3d9605188be0e0b54f7979fe2402c474.png

Edited by vtcruising

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Those 4 suites between the Magic Carpet rails midship starboard from deck 6 to 12 are Sky Suites (S3's). They are not Infinite Verandas - they have traditional open balconies. If you look at the deck plans and look at the key below you will see that those light blue staterooms are all S3's.   Only two staterooms are connected in each hallway or alcove. I have walked down those hallways and there are two cabins in each - there are four pairs of connected cabins (1 suite and 1 inside or IV). Deck 12 S3's don't have any connecting cabins, only the S3's on decks 6-11.

Here are some pictures of 11166 (inside cabin)  and an S3 Sky Suite (11168) hallway - the first picture is by the outside door to both cabins.  The S3 is one of the suites between the Magic Carpet rails. Below see the hallway that I walked down to get to the suite (straight ahead) - the inside cabin was on the left (11166).  The last picture is the view of the Magic Carpet rail to the left of the balcony. Yes, the Magic Carpet passes by these suites a few times/day. I have watched it happen. It is pretty cool to watch!  🙂

Appreciate that correction/clarification.  Where are the Infinite Verandas?  I watched a video about them and was intrigued.  Thanks.