Review of the Excellent Club Orange experience on the Koningsdam

Fredrik

37 minutes ago, nickel-and-dime-me said:

Does anyone have a pic of the new CO bags they're giving out now? Just curious since we'll be on the k in a ns later this year

It’s basically like the one that twodjs posted a pic of with the words Club Orange on it IIRC.

This is the pic they posted earlier on this thread:

D3F2CFA8-F790-47F4-8242-69E12B6FF147.jpeg.b01be85bf8110669dd36b3a43ace8c03.jpeg

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Unlike like some of the high status Mariners on this thread,  I'm not at all offended.  In fact, I'm rather amused at how some react when someone else gets something too.

I was offended by CO for a different reason, the phony elitism. CO was very new when I was on the K last winter, and at every turn they tried to tell us that CO was all about making us feel special. I didn't like that they seemed to think my ego need a separate place to have dinner or a fancy totebag to show off to all the ship that I AM SPESHUL. The performance at check-in in FLL was laughable. The woman who was checking boarding passes said "Oh! You're in a suite!" and led me to a special station off by itself (ooh, look how elite I am, not rubbing elbows with the lowly people not in CO!!). This station was behind the wall that separates the check-in counters from the waiting area. So there I was, in my elite private check-in space...in full view of all the people sitting and waiting to board. 🙄

32 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You still have the same perks you always had. Nothing has been taken from you.

Is the value of your perks inversely proportional to the number of persons with the same perks?

Does the value of your perks change when there are more or less passengers with status on board?

I almost hate to comment here, because it's so anecdotal, but I do think CO has detracted in a way from our 4-star status with regard to dining.  We have always been really graciously received in the MDR as far as being quickly seated if doing anytime dining, being assigned pleasant tables if doing fixed dining, just treated a little bit better to thank us for our loyalty.  CO has been in place during our last three cruises and this was not the case.  The dining room managers seemed more harassed and less able to accommodate requests.  Now, this was on ships without a dedicated CO dining room, but since there are many ships where that is the case, I think it's worth discussing.

8 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I almost hate to comment here, because it's so anecdotal, but I do think CO has detracted in a way from our 4-star status with regard to dining.  We have always been really graciously received in the MDR as far as being quickly seated if doing anytime dining, being assigned pleasant tables if doing fixed dining, just treated a little bit better to thank us for our loyalty.  CO has been in place during our last three cruises and this was not the case.  The dining room managers seemed more harassed and less able to accommodate requests.  Now, this was on ships without a dedicated CO dining room, but since there are many ships where that is the case, I think it's worth discussing.

I've never had any sense that I got better treatment in the MDR for being 4-star.

37 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I don't know what there is to discuss.   Just because something happens before something else doesn't mean the first caused the second.    I just don't see how adding a single entree to a menu could cause the MDR managers to appear harassed.  Perhaps, the MDR staffing was reduced or changed?  Perhaps the galleys were having difficulties with meal prep.  Many possibilities.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't know what there is to discuss.   Just because something happens before something else doesn't mean the first caused the second.    I just don't see how adding a single entree to a menu could cause the MDR managers to appear harassed.  Perhaps, the MDR staffing was reduced or changed?  Perhaps the galleys were having difficulties with meal prep.  Many possibilities.

I'm not referring to entrees.  I wondered if there are nicer areas of the MDR that are reserved for CO, maybe tables for two with more space between them saved for the CO.

Perhaps worth discussing is whether this has anything to do with CO or perhaps it is because HAL is marketing more to families, with more people in each cabin, and maybe the MDR is more designed to accommodate a ship with two per cabin.  I don't know.  That's why I brought it up.  We have sensed a change in the MDR on our last few cruises.

21 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm not referring to entrees.  I wondered if there are nicer areas of the MDR that are reserved for CO, maybe tables for two with more space between them saved for the CO.

Perhaps worth discussing is whether this has anything to do with CO or perhaps it is because HAL is marketing more to families, with more people in each cabin, and maybe the MDR is more designed to accommodate a ship with two per cabin.  I don't know.  That's why I brought it up.  We have sensed a change in the MDR on our last few cruises.

We simply don't have the information to have an informed discussion.  There are so many possibilities, it would only be speculation.  There are always complaints when any change is made that it will have adverse effects.  In fact, you're raising the same issues that were raised when Princess implemented Club Class, that it would adversely affect other cruisers.  That discussion has gone away.

The bottom line is this: HAL can pretty much make any changes they think will enhance the bottom line.  Some may see adverse effects while other will see improvements.

• Like 1

Was just offered CO for Rotterdam, sailing at the end of February.  Total would be $480 per stateroom (we have two staterooms).  We would be upgraded from aft to mid-ship on our stateroom, or one deck higher, aft.  We don't really mind aft positioning, especially on such a small ship.

Are the rest of the benefits worth almost $1000 for 5 people (we have 3 in one cabin)?  

1 minute ago, gadgetlady said:

Are the rest of the benefits worth almost $1000 for 5 people (we have 3 in one cabin)?  

Not in my opinion.  You don’t say how long your cruise is so I can’t comment on the cost but I would definitely purchase CO on a Pinnacle Class ship.  I loved the CO restaurant on the Koningsdam.

8 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

Was just offered CO for Rotterdam, sailing at the end of February.  Total would be $480 per stateroom (we have two staterooms).  We would be upgraded from aft to mid-ship on our stateroom, or one deck higher, aft.  We don't really mind aft positioning, especially on such a small ship.

How much would it cost you to pay directly for the upgrade in cabin?

Would it be worth that much to you?

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Not in my opinion.  You don’t say how long your cruise is so I can’t comment on the cost but I would definitely purchase CO on a Pinnacle Class ship.  I loved the CO restaurant on the Koningsdam.

It's a Panama Canal transit.  16 days.  They're offering it for $15 per day.

What are the extra menu items and specials at breakfast? 

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

How much would it cost you to pay directly for the upgrade in cabin?

Would it be worth that much to you?

I realized it's not fair to ask if it's "worth it" because that's a decision only we can make lol.  I guess what I'm asking is what perks have been a benefit to others, what did they really appreciate, etc.  It's a small ship (1400 guests, and obviously not full if they're offering a room change), one of our group doesn't eat breakfast, and we plan on taking ship's tours in most of the ports, so the priority disembarking most likely won't matter to us.  The "you get extra things on the menu" seems a bit vague. 

6 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

I realized it's not fair to ask if it's "worth it" because that's a decision only we can make lol.  I guess what I'm asking is what perks have been a benefit to others, what did they really appreciate, etc.  It's a small ship (1400 guests, and obviously not full if they're offering a room change), one of our group doesn't eat breakfast, and we plan on taking ship's tours in most of the ports, so the priority disembarking most likely won't matter to us.  The "you get extra things on the menu" seems a bit vague. 

I've added it to bookings where we have a lot of long days in ports, so we may be seated quickly in MDR at the time of our choice.  Otherwise, not worth it to us on a Non-Pinnacle ship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I agree with Miss G - only worth it on Pinnacle class ships. One extra entree per night. There are no breakfast specials. Normal MDR menu. You would get free mimosas.

Thank you.  I think it'd be tough to drink $1000 worth of mimosas 🤣

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

$15/day is a good price but not for the Rotterdam.

Here is the Club Orange Room Service Breakfast Menu

The dinner menu is the same as the MDR with one daily special.  Those vary but include such things as short ribs and peri peri chicken.

Edited by *Miss G*

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I've added it to bookings where we have a lot of long days in ports, so we may be seated quickly in MDR at the time of our choice.  Otherwise, not worth it to us on a Non-Pinnacle ship.

Thank you.  I just checked and the ship is pretty empty, so I think we're going to pass on the offer.  If they upgraded us to a higher category cabin it might be worth it, but to just change from aft to mid-ship, or one deck up, doesn't seem like it's worth the value.  Complimentary bag - meh.  Robes - meh.  We don't need the concierge.  So really all we would get is no line at dinner, which ... it's not like we're going to starve while waiting.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

For the Pinnacle-class ships, the chef cooks your breakfast to order, you will be offered sweet rolls and coffee as soon as you are seated, and breakfast service is much quicker with a dedicated chef.  The same chef works both breakfast and dinner although the chef does very little for dinner (heats rolls, adds condiments, and cooks the special entree).

Edited by Crew News

• 2 years later...
On 2/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, gadgetlady said:

I think $15 per day per person is a good deal on a Pinnacle class, but not on the smaller ships.  Club Orange dining is very nice (and quiet) IMO.  Plus you get an upgraded cabin location.  However, the Pinnacle class ships are not doing the Panama Canal.

Edited by DaveOKC

Twodjs, beg parden but Rotterdam does have CO. Sailing solo I enjoyed the dining room. Intimate and warm. Bonded with the staff and had daily conversations with fellow diners. Sorry some of you  missed the fancy bag; I left 2 of them in my cabin preferring to use my old canvas blue and white bag. Never felt snobby, just indulged a bit.