serious neck injury

We are in a quandary after my wife accident on Saturday evening. We have a cruise booked on Indy departing Southampton 01/06/2019. We are insured but the insurance which is a annual policy that automatically renews actually runs out on 04/06/2019. Now whether the I insurance will honour a claim I do not yet know but as an alternative will Royal Caribbean allow a deferment of our cruise in the worst case scenario if the Insurance will not allow us to cancel without loss. thanks for your time,  Ian t.

I would call your insurance and see if you are covered. If you are not give RCL a call and explain the situation. They are under no obligation to do anything but when my dad was in a similar situation a couple of years ago (he had a medical problem that insurance said stemmed from a pre exsisting condition) they let him transfer the cruise to one a few months later with no money lost. He was very lucky.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Hope you do not think I'm overstepping the mark but you need to find out if your wife is fit to travel.  

When my dad contacted his insurance over a medical issue, the insurance wanted him to see his G.P.,  to find out if he was fit to travel, before they would discuss his issue . 

• Like 1

thanks for your replies, I am exploring whether I can defer the cruise, my favoured option or the Insurance route.She has a Burst C1 fracture of her vertebrae and is in a neck brace which looks like a 6/8 minimum wearing and would totally ruin the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to report that after many emails sent to my travel agency and RCI plus phone calls and not getting anywhere fast I spoke to a lady called Lola  at the TA and she said let me try and help. After talking ,holding ,talking, she was on another line to RCI so there was times when the jingo music was driving me to distraction but she managed to get me a deferment  but I only had 24hrs to choose what dates. Fortunately being optimistic after our first few minutes  chat I looked up an alternative sailing again on Indy but at the end of July and was so pleased with her help that I upgraded to a Junior suite so my wife could enjoy the luxury of a bath. Yes it cost more but the fact I did not have to pay any excess on my Insurance had I had to cancel defrayed some of that cost. Well done to Planet Cruise and RCI for helping me out. I informed my insurers that I would not need to claim but received not a single word from them but today got my renewal in the post but as it says advise of any damage to the neck/back the operator said that will be no problem so I asked if I could pay there and then and lo and behold it was £60 lower than my renewal quote, win win so far. Thanks again for everyones advice and help as I really appreciate it.

• Like 5

Very happy you were finally able to resolve your issue and hope you have a wonderful holiday.  Best wishes to your wife for a painless, quick healing without complications.

• Like 1

We will be on the Independence on 1st June 2019.

My wife fell and broke her left hip on 22nd March 2019. She has had a new hip fitted and is making a good recovery.

Sent a letter to our insurance company giving all the details. Had a phone call to say no extra premium as we had booked the cruise before the accident.

It is an annual world wide policy.

• Like 1