REVIEW: Sapphire Princess, The ugly sister of the fleet April 2019!

TEMPE5T

I have sailed on many ships over the last few years P&O, Cunard, Royal carribean and Fred Oslen but Sapphire Princess April 27th 2019 was my first cruise with Princess.

Bad weather initially delayed our departure from Southampton and resulted in the cancelation of our first port of call which is no fault of the ship but it marked the begging of a cruise plagued with problems.

Our Inside room was suffocatingly stuffy even with the aircoditioning at full blast to a point that after 30 minutes inside we began to feel like we couldn't breath and there was not enough oxygen in the room.

This it seems was a problem also suffered by others who had to frequently spend the entire night sleeping in the conservatory section of The upper deck with bedding and pillows.

After complaints were made to the front desk an engineer visited the cabin and fully opend the air-conditioning vent that had been closed to less than 30%.

But this revealed the reason the vent had been closed in the first place, Water was now running down the walls from a crack at the top. Leaks were not isolated to our own cabin however, throughout the cruise leaks began to appeare in the main corridor between the plaza and Club Fusion and also in the Buffet.

We were forced to stay in our cabin with water running down the wall for 3 nights before another passenger disembarked the ship for personal reasons and we were finally allowed to move.

On a number of occasions throughout the week unhappy passengers could bee seen transferring luggage from one cabbin to another and I found towards the end of the cruise other passengers had been moved Into the leakey room after we had gone.

The ship is relatively old and its really beginning to show, the jacuzzi's looked inviting until seen from decks above where the discoloured grime made them look more like over heated fishponds.

Overall the food onboard was between good and avarage but far from excilent.

The worst part of dining aboard was eating from Plastic Plates, and drinking from Plastic beakers for juice and water, and even plastic cups for tea and Coffee!

The 2 wash basins at the entrance to either side of the Buffet were really inadequate for the numbers of passengers and always resulted in long lines out of the doors and into the pool area. And Buffet itself is poorly layed out with multiple large round tables that could hold up to 8 people but generally only sat 2 as most European passengers don't like to share tables for dinner, this made finding a table at peak times in the Buffet a challange.

Changing these round tables to multiple tables for 2 could probably double the seating capacity of the buffet.

The entertainment was great but this is not exclusive to Princess Cruises as all the guest artists hired by Carnival corporation can also be seen during the year sailing on P&O and Cunard.

But evening entertainment always seemed to coincide with each other and the second sitting for dinner which resulted in a number of missed shows and often a difficult decision between one show or another.

However the Comedian Jeff Stevenson was Amazing.

The one thing that cannot be complained about was all the crew who were friendly, kind and really made us feel like we were a part of a big family.

I had been mislead to believe from reviews and recommendations that Princess cruises was to be considered a 4★ Cruise line and superior to P&O and Royal Caribbean both companies I have sailed with multiple times before this was supposed to be reflected in the price but Sapphire Princess was a disappointment.

Its NOT any better in my opinion, P&Os Brittainia if far far better and cheaper by comparison and the Prices for drinks was extortionate $5.50 for a single can of Coke!

Sapphire Princess is showing her age and is far from the image Princess cruise want you to see.

I believe she is due to drydock later in the year for a refit before returning to Asia. 

I think most cruise lines (Except a few) have an ugly sister within the fleet perhaps at its best Princess is a 4★ fleet but Sapphire Princess alone is only a 2/3★ ship.

Hmm your first post. So many who post along the lines as you have are one post wonders.

I'm not a flag waver for Princess but have been on a few of their ships and really liked Sapphire (last cruised on her about two years ago). I probably prefer the Royal but Sapphire has something about it that I really like. I have not experienced the issue with leaks from the aircon system as you have and I agree that is not acceptable especially as it seemed wide spread. Hopefully it was a one cruise issue that was fixed after your cruise.

I can't agree with you comments about the buffet area and always found the food of a good standard, as has been the case with the buffets on all the Princess ships I have been on. I prefer the dining rooms but eat dinner at the buffets a fair percentage of the time. As for the two wash basins at the entrance, I rarely saw them used as people used the hand sanitiser units as they entered the buffet. Yes the plates were plastic but they are as thick as ceramic plates and not like what you'd normally get as a plastic plate. No problem for me. 

I can't compare Princess to P&O Britannia but I find them far better than RC and pretty much equal with Celebrity.

• Like 2

It is my first post and review after many cruises but I have been following cruise critic for a few years

I cannot speak for other Princess ships, I can only say that my recent experience on board Sapphire Princess was disappointing.

Leck57

We also dine in the main dining rooms for dinner each evening the food here was good but in comparison to my previous experience on other lines the food in the dining room and buffet was not exceptional.

And certainly not any better than I have experienced elsewhere.

With regards to the wash basins in the buffet I to have seen the majority of passengers bypass the basins in favour of the hand sanitizer on other ships. However these sanitizers were often missing on Sapphire and you were directed by a member of crew to the wash basin when entering the buffet. This is what lead to the long lines entering.

Blemis12

We all Start with the first post.

Edited by TEMPE5T

Tempest - interesting your comment about the hand sanitisers often missing on Sapphire. This was not my experience when I cruised on her, and in fact a crew member was often nearby to see that people used them.

Yes, On our other cruises we always see the crew member armed with a bottle of sanitizer as you enter but in our case on Sapphire the crew member was making sure we used the sink properly instead.

I don't know if this is a new policy as they say hand washing is better than sanitizer alone or just that the ship had low supplies of sanitizer available for our cruise.

Although I did also see one passenger washing his face to.🙄

Edited by TEMPE5T

I sailed on the Sapphire last summer and I thought she looked great! She had just gone through a dry dock in March 2018. I never saw any water leaks in any area last summer.

She is probably one of my favorite ships in the Princess fleet and the ship I have sailed the most on in the Princess fleet.

• Like 2

After many years of reading reviews I remain amazed. There is almost always someone who says the ship they just got off was the worst they have seen, and someone who says the same ship is the best they have seen. And sometimes the two reviewers were on the same cruise.  Something about “grain of salt” comes to mind.

I don't like to think in terms of worst ship / best ship category's, I just beleve that Sapphire Princess was not up to the standards I expected after reading some reviews of Princess Cruises and that alone the ship probably does not currently represent Princess in the best light possible.

I can only review my own personal experience on board this ship only a few days ago and cannot speak for the standards some passengers may have experienced on the same ship a few years ago.

I highly suspect that the newer ships in the Princess fleet are far superior in design and style and that once refitted later this year improvments will likely see Sapphire princess cleaned up and looking pretty once again.

But right now I feel the ship itself falls short of what I personally expected.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and like a previous poster, sometimes reading them a major grain of salt is needed.

I'm going on the Sapphire in Oct., looking forward to it, this review doesn't have an impact on my choice.  It does remind me of complaints about Emerald, a ship I love, others bash frequently.

I've sailed with Celebrity a few times because I might change my mind, nope, will not sail with them again, not my cup of tea.  Many cruise ships to choose from, sometimes one you choose doesn't live up to expectations.  I get it, move on, cruise a different line.

7 minutes ago, TEMPE5T said:

I highly suspect that the newer ships in the Princess fleet are far superior in design and style and that once refitted later this year improvments will likely see Sapphire princess cleaned up and looking pretty once again.

I don't anticipate the design and style to change after any retrofit.

1 minute ago, susancruzs said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and like a previous poster, sometimes reading them a major grain of salt is needed.

I'm going on the Sapphire in Oct., looking forward to it, this review doesn't have an impact on my choice.  It does remind me of complaints about Emerald, a ship I love, others bash frequently.

I've sailed with Celebrity a few times because I might change my mind, nope, will not sail with them again, not my cup of tea.  Many cruise ships to choose from, sometimes one you choose doesn't live up to expectations.  I get it, move on, cruise a different line.

Im happy this review doesn't change your mind my own experience is mine alone.

And I hope you enjoy the ship and your cruise.

Dispite our problems I enjoyed my cruise and the staff and crew were exceptional and I met some very nice people while on board.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I don't anticipate the design and style to change after any retrofit.

Perhaps the design and style won't change and I did not critisize these areas of the ship but some improvements like replacing old or warn fittings, replacing many of the blown lights that didn't work or that hertzed incessantly throughout the day.

Many small things can make a big difference.

Wow your experience with the cabin was crazy.  Did you get compensation of any kind?  Never had water running down a wall for 3 days...  people sleeping in the conservatory area, where is that?  Moving their own luggage, the cruise line usually at least offers to move the luggage if there is a problem.  If the cruise starts with those kind of problems, it is very hard to recover and have a good one.  Sorry this happened.

I was on the Emerald last year for 30 days, some of things you say about Sapphire are the same as my dinner mates were saying.  Everyone has a different perspective and/or expectations.  The things they thought did not concern me in the least.  They still enjoyed their cruise, we had a great time visiting in the evening at dinner, but they will stick with the newer ships.  Me, I sail for itinerary, won't mind sailing, Crown, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, whatever.

It is never fun when air and heat don't work in a stateroom - that can definitely affect the attitude of those involved. I am hoping that the OP was compensated for their inconvenience. 

I did have an air conditioning issue last year in my cabin on the Sapphire that affected me for 3 nights. With out asking for any compensation, some was offered. These issues can happen on brand new ships as well as older ships.

The ship came out in 2004. I don't consider that an old ship by any means. For those who choose only new ships, they may. I personally find the Sapphire Princess very spacious - not crowded at all.

Edited by Coral

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise.  I was just on the Sapphire  Princess for 27 days in March and April (Singapore to Rome), and I really enjoyed the ship - it seemed in great shape to me.  The Sapphire remains my favorite ship in the Princess fleet: I love the extra wide promenade deck, the covered pool, and the way the usual two Anytime dining rooms are divided into 4 (Savoy is my favorite).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JerryinBWB said:

After many years of reading reviews I remain amazed. There is almost always someone who says the ship they just got off was the worst they have seen, and someone who says the same ship is the best they have seen. And sometimes the two reviewers were on the same cruise.  Something about “grain of salt” comes to mind.

The Internet - where hyperbole is just the starting point.

Also, just got off the Sapphire, we sailed Singapore to Southampton.  Admittedly at the start of the cruise, our cabin (obstructed view) was too hot for comfort, the maintenance people came and increased the air flow into the cabin, which made it more tolerable.  We were also told that the AC was dependent on the temperature of the surrounding water.  

For a ship that came out of drydock March 2018, the condition of the seats/cushions in the front row of Explorers Lounge, is very disappointing and should be changed to as soon as possible.

Otherwise, had a great cruise, great passengers ... very memorable.  This was our first voyage on the Sapphire and we loved the ship.

• Like 1

My 1st 3 days on the Royal I swore I'd never return to that ship. It had nothing to do with the ship but my horrendous trip to get there 

My point is if the trip starts off bad or has 1 big issue, it taints the entire experience.  I love the Sapphire and it was fine last November - December in SE Asia. But apparently OP had an issue that overwhelmed her experience 

His experience Ombud 😉

With estimate of +100.000 passengers every year it's not surprising that some areas of the ship is in need of attention.

My intention in the original post was not to feed the Princess fandom who inevitably jump to the defence of their favourite fleet but to state my own opinion as a new passanger to the Princess line

Having read and viewed many online reviews there is a strong belief that Princess is a 4 star fleet and better than P&O and Royal Carribbean. However having recently sailed with both P&O Britannia and Sapphire Princess within 4 weeks of each other It's my personal opinion based on the current condition of Sapphire Princess alone that Princess is not Supiror to P&O or to Royal Carribbean but equal.

Even discounting our experience with the AC in the cabin. The food was no better than we have experienced in the other fleets and the entertainment was equal to.

The reason I made the OP was so that I can share my opinion that I don't think Princess Is worth the extra expense and that based on my recent experience it is not better in any way than P&O or Royal Carribbean.

Edited by TEMPE5T
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone has said Princess is better than P&O. One has more of a North American feel and I assume one has more of a British feel.

Sort of funny but there are plenty of Brits on Princess and several I have spoken to said they prefer to sail with Princess due to the passengers.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TEMPE5T said:

The reason I made the OP was so that I can share my opinion that I don't think Princess Is worth the extra expense and that it's not based on my recent experience better in any way than P&O or Royal Carribbean.

👍 Many (myself included) stick to the brand for the stackable OBC (which can negate my solo cruiser penalty) and not adding on 'extras' like a 2nd entree, show seats, ect. But they're all comparable IMHO

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have been on NCL, Princess and RCCL and would say Princess is similar to RCCL as far as quality of product and that is usually what I read here. The water situation sounds bad to me, I am glad they eventually moved you. We have found Princess to be very responsive to these types of situation.

It was difficult RNRCruisers as at first the ship was full and so we just couldn't be moved. I was surprised however to see some passengers actually sleeping in the conservatory area at night.

Full bedding and everything all they needed was a table lamp next to them.

At the beginning of this review a few members made comments about how I had made this profile to complain after having been with so many cruise lines generally I never felt the need to write anything before but my experience lead me to attempt to make known my opinion.

Similarities to other new members who post similar reviews and then never post again were also made.

I would like to say that except a few of the last members to reply I can understand why this happens.

This site was designed so members could review and recommend cruises and enjoy the company of others in discussion of similar topics.

I never expected that I would feel the need to defend my review so ardently against the fleet fandom.

When new members make an effort to share opinions of there voyages they should not be made to feel there opinion is in some way invalid because they are new.

Some people cannot cruise multiple times a year and when the community makes them feel unwelcome they are unlikely to return to share other experiences in the future.

Edited by TEMPE5T
  • Like 5