S1 Corner aft Sky suite or Celebrity Suite?

Greenymac

Currently booked in cabin 6305 on Equinox in September, which is a corner aft sky suite on Deck 6. The location of this cabin looks great, but a Celebrity Suite keeps whispering to me. Looking for opinions or suggestions. I think I have a good cabin and location, but just want to maximize. TIA

Edited by Greenymac

22 minutes ago, Greenymac said:

Currently booked in cabin 6305 on Equinox in September, which is a corner aft sky suite on Deck 6. The location of this cabin looks great, but a Celebrity Suite keeps whispering to me. Looking for opinions or suggestions. I think I have a good cabin and location, but just want to maximize. TIA

I would switch to the CS if the price works for you.  The CS is a wonderful stateroom, especially for 2 people.  HUGE balcony, private bedroom, 2 entrances to bathroom.  We love the CS.  The only disadvantage is that there is no real dining table inside the room, but you have a full size table on the balcony that we used as a dining table and it worked great.  So nice to be on the veranda enjoying the view while dining. Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time.

The CS tends to be a suite you love or hate!

We really didn’t like the bedroom being ‘inside’....We wouldn’t book again.

If you are travelling as a three it offers more privacy and for couples where one is an early bird and the other likes to sleep in it does have some advantages.

• Like 2

A few years ago on Solstice we had the CS on 1st part of a B2B. 2nd part of cruise the CS was sold out. Therefore, we had the corner Aft . I love the aft balcony and watching the wake. Views are great. Either way, you cannot go wrong. 

I also would prefer not having the enclosed bedroom on the CS. However, I have it booked for an Asia cruise on Millennium this Oct. If they had the same corner Aft suite as Solstice, I most likely would have taken that one.

It's all about the views for me.

I've been in both (not on deck 6 S1 though) and there are advantages to  both. Both are wonderful, though we have leaned toward the S1's as the prices have gone up.  This is the way I would look at it:

S1 aft:

positives:

-larger balcony that wraps around to the side - more sun, though with some overhang for protection

-the amazing wake view - wide and unobstructed

-quieter area of ship (usually)

-porthole window on side with a couch next to it - very nice spot to relax (and you can actually sit in the porthole window as well)

-view of ocean from bed

-cost

negatives:

-long walk to everything

-in one big room (doesn't have separate bedroom or curtain to divide areas)

-less storage space

CS:

positives:

-"upper level" suite, as compared to Sky Suites, in that shore concierge will call you pre-cruise to take your requests and may be more likely to get special invitations to events onboard

-separate bedroom

-more closet/storage space

-2 doors to bathroom so that if someone is sleeping in bedroom, the other can go in from LR (otherwise no advantage to bathroom, IMO)

-large L-shaped couch and large coffee table is nice for entertaining guests, if desired

negatives:

-bedroom doesn't overlook ocean (does have a "window" to LR to let in light)

-somewhat smaller balcony, though has better seating (nice padded lounger and good-sized table)

-balcony view only to one side of ship with overhang - less sun

-cost

Edited by vtcruising

39 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I've been in both (not on deck 6 S1 though) and there are advantages to  both. Both are wonderful, though we have leaned toward the S1's as the prices have gone up.  This is the way I would look at it:

S1 aft:

positives:

-larger balcony that wraps around to the side - more sun, though with some overhang for protection

-the amazing wake view - wide and unobstructed

-quieter area of ship (usually)

-porthole window on side with a couch next to it - very nice spot to relax (and you can actually sit in the porthole window as well)

-view of ocean from bed

-cost

negatives:

-long walk to everything

-in one big room (doesn't have separate bedroom or curtain to divide areas)

-less storage space

CS:

positives:

-"upper level" suite, as compared to Sky Suites, in that shore concierge will call you pre-cruise to take your requests and may be more likely to get special invitations to events onboard

-separate bedroom

-more closet/storage space

-2 doors to bathroom so that if someone is sleeping in bedroom, the other can go in from LR (otherwise no advantage to bathroom, IMO)

-large L-shaped couch and large coffee table is nice for entertaining guests, if desired

negatives:

-bedroom doesn't overlook ocean (does have a "window" to LR to let in light)

-somewhat smaller balcony, though has better seating (nice padded lounger and good-sized table)

-balcony view only to one side of ship with overhang - less sun

-cost

1233 looks like it's on the hump, so the balcony and seating area should be ample. Just not sure I want to give up that prime corner location for a step up. The difference in cost as it stands right is about $600 total and for that amount I'm REALLY considering it.

• Like 1

We have sailed in both the S1 corner aft and the CS on S-Class.  Agree with the list from vtcruising.  We tend to go for the CS if we can because we like the enclosed bedroom.  One of us is an early riser so it is nice to have that option of not bothering the other person.   Other than that one thing, we would go for the corner aft if the price is more affordable.  The CS is in kind of a weird limbo category in that it does not really get the high-level or premium suite extra perks.  The Sky suite gets the same perks except the pre-cruise phone call which for me is no big deal.

I love corner aft Sky Suites but it's my understanding that those on deck 6 have TINY balconies. ChicagoPaul posted a picture of a deck chair crammed sideways because the deck was too narrow for the chair to face aft.  No way would I book deck 6. 

27 minutes ago, Greenymac said:

1233 looks like it's on the hump, so the balcony and seating area should be ample. Just not sure I want to give up that prime corner location for a step up. The difference in cost as it stands right is about $600 total and for that amount I'm REALLY considering it.

Well, for that price, I would likely do it because of the separate bedroom and two door bathroom (we stay up late and nap a bit sometimes). If we were traveling with people, it is easier to have a  get together in the CS so no one is sitting on the bed.

We had the CS on a hump on the Reflection -1122. The balcony was larger than the non-hump ones. We missed our aft view, which we prefer, but the other benefits made up for it.

image.png.1cf4dd449a8d7dc1b51f5756e14b0ed6.png

image.png.1dfbbff0ad9453d96e8e4a79d5ae1b58.png

Edited by vtcruising

The Sky Suite on deck 6 is very narrow - long because it wraps, but you have to step around the deck chairs to get around.  We had the Sky Suite for our trip to Norway so we did not spend a lot of time on the deck due to rain and cold weather.  The room is huge, lots of storage and the bathroom is nice.  We enjoyed the cabin

8 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

I love corner aft Sky Suites but it's my understanding that those on deck 6 have TINY balconies. ChicagoPaul posted a picture of a deck chair crammed sideways because the deck was too narrow for the chair to face aft.  No way would I book deck 6. 

I had heard that too, but thought it was on Reflection? It's hard to tell by the cabin sticky, but the same one on the Reflection (6507) was described as very small and that is not mentioned on the Equinox review. It does have the Tuscan roof underneath.

Edited by vtcruising

I don't remember what ship the picture is from. ChicagoPaul has posted Reflection reviews. Guess the best source of info is from those who have been in that specific cabin. Sure can't tell from the deck plans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raudacruise said:

I don't remember what ship the picture is from. ChicagoPaul has posted Reflection reviews. Guess the best source of info is from those who have been in that specific cabin. Sure can't tell from the deck plans. 

I wasn't sure either, but just had it in my head that it was Reflection with the mini balconies in the S1's. We have always been much higher up.

8 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I wasn't sure either, but just had it in my head that it was Reflection with the mini balconies in the S1's. We have always been much higher up.

Me too.  Much better view.

I just remember being really taken aback by that picture. ChicagoPaul wasn't much bothered by it. I need to be that "go with the flow."

We currently have 7356 (S1) booked for the Hubbard Glacier (Alaska) cruise on Eclipse in August. It's starboard aft and similar to one we had on another S class ship. We 'almost' booked a Celebrity suite but decided on the aft location to give me more opportunity for landscape photos as we cruise. The bedroom setup doesn't really bother us. The 'boz' likes to sleep in so I tend to wander the ship (Cafe al Bacio) and let her snooze. I normally take two cups of hot coffee (don't forget TWO cards) back to the stateroom about the time she normally gets up. The butler, of course, would do this but it seems a waste of his/her time, honestly.

I'm working on fine tuning my eagle calls, hoping to call one to sit on the railing so I can get some closeups.

Either stateroom is being pampered and living life very well! 🦅

Edited by K12Guy
Additional information

Just now, raudacruise said:

Me too.  Much better view.

I just remember being really taken aback by that picture. ChicagoPaul wasn't much bothered by it. I need to be that "go with the flow."

He seems to be an easygoing cruiser!

1 minute ago, K12Guy said:

We currently have 7356 (S1) booked for the Hubbard Glacier (Alaska) cruise in August. It's starboard aft and similar to one we had on another S class ship. We 'almost' booked a Celebrity suite but decided on the aft location to give me more opportunity for landscape photos as we cruise. The bedroom setup doesn't really bother us. The 'boz' likes to sleep in so I tend to wander the ship (Cafe al Bacio) and let her snooze. I normally take two cups of hot coffee (don't forget TWO cards) back to the stateroom about the time she normally gets up. The butler, of course, would do this but it seems a waste of his/her time, honestly.

I'm working on fine tuning my eagle calls, hoping to call one to sit on the railing so I can get some closeups.

Either stateroom is being pampered and living life very well! 🦅

For Alaska, we would choose the aft as well!

1 hour ago, raudacruise said:

There's a video on YouTube of the exact cabin 6305 that we have booked and the balcony does look quite narrow, although long. Although for that time of the year I think the covered CS may be a good bet. I'm trying to understand if 1233 has a longer balcony, deeper, or both. 

Would 1233 on Eclipse be close to the same balcony as 1233 on Equinox?

Edited by Greenymac

Grab 1233 if it's still available.  The balcony is huge.  All of the balconies on the slant for the CS are much bigger.  I would take it over the S1 in a heartbeat.  The S1 balconies on the Equinox are all the same size.  The S1 by Chicago Paul is on the Reflection in which the deck 6 balcony is smaller on that particular ship. 

You have a separate bedroom.  Some like.  Some do not.  You have a comfortable living area with L shaped sofa.  Extra cruise points for the CS also.  The Equinox is undergoing her revolution in which the suites will be redone we are told, so who knows what the furnishings will be like when it comes out of drydock. 

Well, I stand corrected on the Equinox deck 6 balcony. The only apparent negative is the "view" of the roof of Tuscan but that's certainly not a deal-breaker. I've sailed in both a corner aft S1 and a Celebrity Suite on Equinox. For not that much more money I'd go with a CS, especially one on the hump. 

2 hours ago, Greenymac said:

For $600 total I'd grab it.  Mind you, we are loyal to the corner S1 aft:  great view, size is just right, quiet (if you're not on deck 12 (immediately underneath OVC/Sunset Bar)), private entry foyer, and honestly we like the extra steps to the aft of the ship (gotta burn off all the Luminae desserts!). 

You get 12 CC points/night in a CS vs. 8 with a SS, which is nice if you want the extra CC points.

I have a husband who likes to sleep in; a CS would be perfect but we've never encountered a $600 deal.  I know he would spring for it.

In the interim we are perfectly happy with S1 aft.  We stick to decks 11 and 10 when possible.  My parents once had a corner S1 on deck 6 (Silhouette) and said it seemed a bit smaller than the one they once had on deck 11.

I'd lay a wager vtcruising has the true square footage of each! :classic_wink:

3 minutes ago, sparkopotamus said:

For $600 total I'd grab it.  Mind you, we are loyal to the corner S1 aft:  great view, size is just right, quiet (if you're not on deck 12 (immediately underneath OVC/Sunset Bar)), private entry foyer, and honestly we like the extra steps to the aft of the ship (gotta burn off all the Luminae desserts!). 

You get 12 CC points/night in a CS vs. 8 with a SS, which is nice if you want the extra CC points.

I have a husband who likes to sleep in; a CS would be perfect but we've never encountered a $600 deal.  I know he would spring for it.

In the interim we are perfectly happy with S1 aft.  We stick to decks 11 and 10 when possible.  My parents once had a corner S1 on deck 6 (Silhouette) and said it seemed a bit smaller than the one they once had on deck 11.

I'd lay a wager vtcruising has the true square footage of each! :classic_wink:

1233 is on deck 10 so with cabins above and below it should be really quiet and relaxing. I really want the big Balcony for breakfast. 

Also I was wrong on the additional cost by a couple hundred. It's actually $800 more total, but I still feel if I make the move it's worth it. I did however, place a courtesy hold on the cabin while I contemplate and weigh the pros and cons. Plus I need to make sure the wife is OK with giving up the aft view for a little more balcony space and inside bedroom. 

3 hours ago, Greenymac said:

CS on the hump have a HUGE balcony.  We have had them on several ships.  Enough room for two lounges, 2 chairs, dining table and still plenty of room to walk around.  For $800. I would absolutely make the change.  

Edited by Gracie115