Cavtat; is it worth it?

We only have 1 day in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

We want time to shop in the main downtown area of Dubrovnik.

If we take the Cavtat tour, then the shopping is very limited.

Is Cavtat really worth is? is it spectacular?

is it like if you go to Athens you have to see the Parthenon? I;m just trying to get a sense if we miss it, will people say WHAT??! you should have seen it.

thanks!

Cavtat is a nice seaside resort, worth visiting.  However if you've not been to Dubrovnik before you might want to spend the day exploring.  It can take around 90 minutes to walk the walls and then you can wander the streets stopping off for lunch or an ice cream.  There is also the cablecar up the mountain for fabulous views. There are boat trips from the harbour if you want to see the coastline. Plenty to do, remember it gets very hot on summer days.

I fully agree: visit Dubrovnik and enjoy and forget Cavtat.  Dubrovnik: at least: walls, old pharmacy, and enjoy a drink one of the nice terrasses. Maybe buy a Dubrovnik card to pay for the public transportation, the walls and musea.  The old pharmacy: it might be possible you will be there at the same time as a group of Japanese women, buying bags full of products in that pharmacy (they all carry a booklet with names and prices of those). The pharmacy is one of the oldest in Europe (visit their little museum next to the pharmacy itself). I admit the rose cream smells very very good. 🙂 

21 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

thanks!  I cancelled the cavtat tour!

Good move.

It's a pleasant enough little place with a few bars & restaurants, but it's little more than a one-street village and nothing iconic or spectacular.

The sort of place you'd go for an afternoon, mebbe by the little ferry, if you're vacationing in the area. But no comparison whatsoever with Dubrovnik.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

I love Cavtat, I first went there on a family holiday in 1976 !

There is plenty to see in Dubrovnik but if the crowds are too much Cavtat is a beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I love Cavtat, I first went there on a family holiday in 1976 !

There is plenty to see in Dubrovnik but if the crowds are too much Cavtat is a beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.

I agree - lovely little harbour too.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bennybear said:

We’ve been to Dubrovnik several times,  maybe we’ll try Cavtat this time! 

That’s what we did this time. Our ship was tendered and the tenders came into the old port, so we just looked for a stand saying boat to Cavtat. It was a nice boat tour, stopped a couple of times en route, then into Cavtat. We stayed in Cavtat for a couple of hours before getting the boat back. We loved walking along the waterfront in Cavtat & seeing the lovely yachts moored up there. There’s a sea water swimming pool at one end and the children from a local school were taking part in a swimming gala, so we stopped to watch that for a while. We didn’t climb up the steps into the old town as it was very hot when we were there.