NCL Breakaway 21st April 2019 Review

peteukmcr

1 hour ago, Deeliteful said:

Many thanks for this review Peter and Patrick. I will be on the Breakaway on 2nd June cruising the Eastern Caribbean.

I have never sailed NCL before and chose this cruise as it was my only option to fit in with a convention in Orlando the following week.

My main concern is the Freedom style dining as I am travelling solo and have always shared tables in the past which I enjoy (mostly!)

Certainly sounds as if there is plenty of choice in entertainment and dining and look forward to finding out soon.

Hope to write a review myself and let others know my thoughts.

Thanks once again.

Pat

Hi Pat, Hope you have a wonderful cruise on the BA.  

NCL is, IMO, the. best cruise line when it comes to solo cruisers.  I'm not sure which category cabin you've chosen but if it's a Studio cabin, you'll have access to the studio lounge. That means you'll be able to meet other solo cruisers and maybe make arrangements to dine as a group in a MDR. Being there are so many MDRs it could be a matter of choosing which one you want to dine in but it'll be easy to meet like-minded cruisers too. 

Make sure you check out the Freestyle Dailies each day for events which could be specific to solo cruisers. 

There's also a forum here on CC which has many tips and information for those of us cruising solo: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

Hope you enjoy your cruise,

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you for this excellent review.  We were on the Breakaway in December and again in March with a similar itinerary to yours but sailing from New Orleans.  This is the review I would have written if I had the ability.  Try the filet with blue cheese ravioli in La Cucina on you next cruise.  Best steak on the ship.  

Thanks All-Ready2cruise.

I am not in a studio cabin but have a midship balcony.

i have sailed solo many times but will certainly try and get to any solo meetings this time (I don’t usually!)

looking forward to to trying something different!

• Like 1

Great review and useful to get an insight into NCL. I've always travelled on P&O from Southampton (apart from Princess once) but having seen the price (including Free at Sea) for 7 nights in the Med this summer, I will be trying NCL for the first time, and as a solo cruiser. 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phoenix1975 said:

Great review and useful to get an insight into NCL. I've always travelled on P&O from Southampton (apart from Princess once) but having seen the price (including Free at Sea) for 7 nights in the Med this summer, I will be trying NCL for the first time, and as a solo cruiser. 🙂

From our limited experience on P&O I believe you will enjoy NCL for the more relaxed atmosphere, less formality and vast choice of venues. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your cruise.  Although we have cruised with NCL many times, we will be taking our first on the Breakaway in November.

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. This was an outstanding review and was very even-handed.

We sail on the Breakaway in about 6 weeks and will certainly make use of some of the information you provided.

~Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Great review - looking at booking BA for end of September in a solo cabin.  Travelled quite a few times with NCL and love them for the way they accommodate solo pax.

Could you tell me if any of the activities such as Walk The Plank, ropes course incur a fee please?

Thanks,

Fiona

1 hour ago, madcat444 said:

Great review - looking at booking BA for end of September in a solo cabin.  Travelled quite a few times with NCL and love them for the way they accommodate solo pax.

Could you tell me if any of the activities such as Walk The Plank, ropes course incur a fee please?

Thanks,

Fiona

Thanks for your feedback. Although I didn't do the ropes course etc. I didn't see any fees listed.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, Deeliteful said:

Many thanks for this review Peter and Patrick. I will be on the Breakaway on 2nd June cruising the Eastern Caribbean.

I have never sailed NCL before and chose this cruise as it was my only option to fit in with a convention in Orlando the following week.

My main concern is the Freedom style dining as I am travelling solo and have always shared tables in the past which I enjoy (mostly!)

Certainly sounds as if there is plenty of choice in entertainment and dining and look forward to finding out soon.

Hope to write a review myself and let others know my thoughts.

Thanks once again.

Pat

Hi Pat

One thing I recommend you do is book any dining that you definitely want to do before you cruise through your account page on NCL. Also book any entertainment you want to see as soon as you can once onboard.

While it is freestyle cruising you need to be prepared, it's a bit like having a night out at home, you wouldn't just rock up to your favorite restaurant and half 8 on a Saturday and expect to walk straight in.

Do a little planning and it will make life a lot more enjoyable once at sea. There are quite a few "Things I wish I'd known before cruising NCL" threads on here.

Enjoy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, peteukmcr said:

Shore Excursions

As 3 of the 4 ports we visited were new to us we decided on a couple of shore excursions.

Roatan, Honduras

Through NCL we booked a beach stay at the Turquoise Bay Beach Resort which was an approximate 45 ride north from the port. 

It was an all-inclusive package, so we relaxed under a palapa, taking advance of the welcome breeze and warm Caribbean Sea whilst being served cooling drinks from our dedicated server. 

Snacks were available immediately, followed by a nice lunch later in the afternoon.

IMG_9309.jpeg

IMG_9313.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

IMG_9316.jpeg

Hello,  We are considering booking this excursion.  Did you do the VIP or regular booking?  If you did the regular booking, did you have any trouble finding a chair?  Any additional information about this excursion we should know about?  Thank you for your time. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, madcat444 said:

Thanks,

Fiona

There is no fee for the ropes course.  Walk the plank is part of the ropes course, however it can be blocked off on days with high wind.

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

There is no fee for the ropes course.  Walk the plank is part of the ropes course, however it can be blocked off on days with high wind.

Thanks 😄 
Surely high winds make it more interesting, no?!?! 🤣😆

Do you happen to know if there's a climbing wall as deck plan indicates yes but couldn't see one on any videos I've watched?

Fiona

1 hour ago, ValerieJo said:

Hello,  We are considering booking this excursion.  Did you do the VIP or regular booking?  If you did the regular booking, did you have any trouble finding a chair?  Any additional information about this excursion we should know about?  Thank you for your time. 

We just did a regular booking and didn't have a problem finding a chair, especially undercover. If you don't need shade then there's plenty more available.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, madcat444 said:

Thanks 😄 
Surely high winds make it more interesting, no?!?! 🤣😆

Do you happen to know if there's a climbing wall as deck plan indicates yes but couldn't see one on any videos I've watched?

Fiona

There is a climbing wall on deck 16.

Image 10-06-2019 at 19.17.jpg