Just back from Perfect Day At Coco Cay

On 5/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, torpeedo said:

Came back from Mariner cruise on Monday and we had Chill Island Cabana #2.  We enjoyed it very much.  There is a Cabana attendant, Linda.  She provides menus and takes your lunch orders and brings lunch back to you at the time you select.  Also brings drinks as well.  The Cabana was very comfortable and so close to the water.  The Cabana had some bottles of Evian water in a cooler and two floaty mats.  I believe you can have 8 people designated for these Cabanas.  
We saw some of the island but not all.  There is PLENTY to do that is at no cost. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas.  There is a free pool and also a lagoon with chairs and umbrellas which are all set up for you before you arrive at no cost.  When we were there they had no trams around the island, just from the pier to the shore.  Very lacking for those who are mobility challenged as has been mentioned before.  I believe as they get their stuff together that there will be a tram similar to Labadee. . 

It's sounding better and better.....

For whatever it's worth, my wife and I are booked on the Harmony departing Port Canaveral on February 23rd, 2020. The ship will be at Coco Cay on Day 7. I don't know if there will be another ship present on that day or not.

12 minutes ago, Beukeboom said:

Dumb question: was the ship in the distance anchored or is the dock THAT far away? 

That's a Norwegian Cruise Line ship anchored off their private island - Great Stirrup Cay. It's just next door to Coco Cay (aka Little Stirrup Cay). Here's a shot of the Norwegian Sun anchored on April 27 - this was taken from the Mariner docked at Coco Cay.

IMG_20190427_070601.jpg

Edited by jpm1973
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Big_G said:

To add to my first reply, we were there Saturday and after our discussion with cabana manager, I’m not sure all ships assign them the same way.

On Navigator I told my friends to book a cabana with the intention to cancel it right away and they all got the same letter as me in the confirmation email. 

I think they still  assign them secretly on the excursion desk but won’t tell tou 

10 hours ago, Beukeboom said:

For whatever it's worth, my wife and I are booked on the Harmony departing Port Canaveral on February 23rd, 2020. The ship will be at Coco Cay on Day 7. I don't know if there will be another ship present on that day or not.

I went to cruisemapper. Funny thing is they don't show sat feb 29th. Is that the day your there??

11 hours ago, Beukeboom said:

My wife booked us a "Chill Island" cabana for $500. Are they nice?

Any private cabana will be a nice "home base" that is covered, has bottled water, has towels as needed, and has convenient access to the views, venues, and food of choice on the island.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, torpeedo said:

Came back from Mariner cruise on Monday and we had Chill Island Cabana #2.  We enjoyed it very much.  There is a Cabana attendant, Linda.  She provides menus and takes your lunch orders and brings lunch back to you at the time you select.  Also brings drinks as well.  The Cabana was very comfortable and so close to the water.  The Cabana had some bottles of Evian water in a cooler and two floaty mats.  I believe you can have 8 people designated for these Cabanas.  
We saw some of the island but not all.  There is PLENTY to do that is at no cost. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas.  There is a free pool and also a lagoon with chairs and umbrellas which are all set up for you before you arrive at no cost.  When we were there they had no trams around the island, just from the pier to the shore.  Very lacking for those who are mobility challenged as has been mentioned before.  I believe as they get their stuff together that there will be a tram similar to Labadee. . 

What kind of food/beverage was on the menus?

12 hours ago, Beukeboom said:

Dumb question: was the ship in the distance anchored or is the dock THAT far away? 

That looks like a Norwegian ship anchored at their private island next to Coco Cay.

16 hours ago, Beukeboom said:

That ship is NCL Sun and was anchored off they're private island. Never realized how close it was until Saturday.

Memorial Day weekend has Navigator and Mariner sharing Coco Cay after the Symphony switcheroo.

My friend had a cabana booked for a while, she's sailing on Navigator.  They just cancelled her cabana.  I assume they are cancelling half all the reservations and giving those to Mariner.  She's really upset that hers was cancelled.  I foersee a few upset people having reservations yanked 😞

10 minutes ago, Sunkissed Mommy said:

Memorial Day weekend has Navigator and Mariner sharing Coco Cay after the Symphony switcheroo.

My friend had a cabana booked for a while, she's sailing on Navigator.  They just cancelled her cabana.  I assume they are cancelling half all the reservations and giving those to Mariner.  She's really upset that hers was cancelled.  I foersee a few upset people having reservations yanked 😞

Assuming money back and any sort of credit?

12 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Any private cabana will be a nice "home base" that is covered, has bottled water, has towels as needed, and has convenient access to the views, venues, and food of choice on the island.

Do the Chill cabanas also have complementary bottle water?

16 hours ago, Beukeboom said:

Do the Chill cabanas also have complementary bottle water?

Yes, there waters and towels.

1 hour ago, A boat named Jenny 1 said:

I have looked at the map, does anyone know if the "straw market" is still there where you can buy things from local vendors?

Yes. Once you cross the bridge toward Chill Island you will see it.