Kids sail free back

dkjretired

2 minutes ago, downsmead said:

They are trying every trick in the book to fill the European Edge cruises 😂

they sure are.  Saw a promo yesterday for sail in a balcony (that's a laugh) for the price of an ocean view.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I am gutted that I am not retiring until the end of this month, otherwise I would have booked a cabin just to see what the Edge is like. The maiden sailing from Southampton is under £800 for an inside cabin 😱.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Just received an email that kids sail free is back.  Appears to be just Edge in Europe. Start the panic

Worst promotion ever conceived.  I'll do my best to stay away from any cruise that has that promotion.

• Like 4

I also am disturbed by this promo. And, let me start off by saying: I DO NOT hate kids. In fact, we just took our son, DIL, and toddler DGD,  on a family cruise -- on Royal Caribbean. My concern is that, while X is trying so hard to remain 'relevant', they are losing sight of where they fit in with the greater RCCL organization.

Many years ago, my DH and I started cruising on RC. As time went on, and they became increasingly 'family-oriented', we knew that we needed a change. The logical next step was Celebrity -- which was more focused on the interests of its adult cruisers. Granted, there have always been kids on X ships -- and, in my experience, they are usually well behaved and well-supervised. But with X's 'kids sail free' marketing, there WILL be more children on the ship -- which will definitely change the on-board-vibe.

Case in point --- our recent 'Family Cruise' on RC's Independence of the Seas. We all -- including my DGD -- had a great time! But, there were reportedly 500 kids on that sailing (Presidents' Day week). In most of the public spaces, it was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think! My DH and I just kept reminding each other that we would be sailing on Infinity (just the two of us), the very next week -- looking forward to a little piece and quiet!

So, my question is this: If X continues down this road of marketing to folks with kids, where does that leave those cruisers who are looking for a more refined, quiet -- yes, adult -- cruising environment? We've considered Azamara, but, with only 3 ships -- their itineraries seem a bit limited (and they have practically no presence on the West Coast).

Edited by wwcruisers
  • Like 4

DH and I really enjoy our Celebrity cruises. We also enjoy our grandchildren who range in age from 9-13 and see them almost daily. We miss them terribly on the days we don't get to see them. We love taking them places and enjoy exposing them to new experiences. However I can honestly say that when travelling (cruising particularly) with them, we'd choose Celebrity as a last option. There are many other cruise lines that have far more to offer them than Celebrity. Sail free or not, we'd not select Celebrity,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

I also am disturbed by this promo. And, let me start off by saying: I DO NOT hate kids. In fact, we just took our son, DIL, and toddler DGD,  on a family cruise -- on Royal Caribbean. My concern is that, while X is trying so hard to remain 'relevant', they are losing sight of where they fit in with the greater RCCL organization.

Many years ago, my DH and I started cruising on RC. As time went on, and they became increasingly 'family-oriented', we knew that we needed a change. The logical next step was Celebrity -- which was more focused on the interests of its adult cruisers. Granted, there have always been kids on X ships -- and, in my experience, they are usually well behaved and well-supervised. But with X's 'kids sail free' marketing, there WILL be more children on the ship -- which will definitely change the on-board-vibe.

Case in point --- our recent 'Family Cruise' on RC's Independence of the Seas. We all -- including my DGD -- had a great time! But, there were reportedly 500 kids on that sailing (Presidents' Day week). In most of the public spaces, it was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think! My DH and I just kept reminding each other that we would be sailing on Infinity (just the two of us), the very next week -- looking forward to a little piece and quiet!

So, my question is this: If X continues down this road of marketing to folks with kids, where does that leave those cruisers who are looking for a more refined, quiet -- yes, adult -- cruising environment? We've considered Azamara, but, with only 3 ships -- their itineraries seem a bit limited (and they have practically no presence on the West Coast).

I did the kids sail free promotion on Celebrity 25 years ago, it’s just another occasional promotion. Haven’t seen any increase in children over all those years. 

Just the fact that people haven’t seen any change in Celebrity speaks for itself. 

Just to mention Celebrity has excellent children’s programs, much less crowded and more individualized.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

Just now, dkjretired said:

I did the kids sail free promotion on Celebrity 25 years ago, it’s just another occasional promotion. Haven’t seen any increase in children over all those years.

Thanks for that perspective, Don. I just think that I'm seeing that particular promo pop-up a little more frequently, these days.

And, I know that many X cruisers (you included, if I'm not mistaken) have raised their kids, sailing X. I meant absolutely no disrespect, regarding that choice of cruise line. But, as much as my DH and I still love RC -- we now wouldn't consider them for anything, other than a family cruise. We are seriously contemplating both Virgin and Viking, for their adults-only ships. However, we would just hate to leave the RCCL family, after nearly 20 years of cruising exclusively on RC and X.

23 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Thanks for that perspective, Don. I just think that I'm seeing that particular promo pop-up a little more frequently, these days.

And, I know that many X cruisers (you included, if I'm not mistaken) have raised their kids, sailing X. I meant absolutely no disrespect, regarding that choice of cruise line. But, as much as my DH and I still love RC -- we now wouldn't consider them for anything, other than a family cruise. We are seriously contemplating both Virgin and Viking, for their adults-only ships. However, we would just hate to leave the RCCL family, after nearly 20 years of cruising exclusively on RC and X.

They've had it twice in the last couple of months, I think because they're having problems filling the Edge.  Hadn't see it in a couple of years, I can agree that if it becomes almost permanent that could be a problem.  

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

DH and I really enjoy our Celebrity cruises. We also enjoy our grandchildren who range in age from 9-13 and see them almost daily. We miss them terribly on the days we don't get to see them. We love taking them places and enjoy exposing them to new experiences. However I can honestly say that when travelling (cruising particularly) with them, we'd choose Celebrity as a last option. There are many other cruise lines that have far more to offer them than Celebrity. Sail free or not, we'd not select Celebrity,

In case you haven't yet tried them, I would highly recommend Royal, when cruising with your grandkids. Probably not so much the older, smaller ships -- but on-board anything from Freedom class and up, you'll find tons of things for kids of all ages to enjoy! 😎

44 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

In case you haven't yet tried them, I would highly recommend Royal, when cruising with your grandkids. Probably not so much the older, smaller ships -- but on-board anything from Freedom class and up, you'll find tons of things for kids of all ages to enjoy! 😎

Thanks for the info but we have what will probably be our last cruise this summer due to heath issues for wife and I.

Eh, it's really not that big of a deal. Anyone that does any research comparing Celebrity to NCL/RCL/MSC/Carnival etc. will know that Celebrity lacks in activities for kids. However some will still choose Celebrity, and there are many people out there who can 1) only travel during summer breaks and 2) don't price shop for the deal of the century like most people on here do. They can and will pay a premium to book a fairly last minute trip when they are able to travel. If Celebrity can capitalize on that...go for it. 

No issue for us as long as they do not add the same amenities as they have on Royal which is geared to families and  children...Not everyone with children  likes all that!

If you do not want  kiddies..just pick weeks when most are in school...That's what we do 

Edited by hcat

35 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Thanks for the info but we have what will probably be our last cruise this summer due to heath issues for wife and I.

Sorry to hear that, Don. Where are you going, this summer?

3 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

That's one of our go-to lines along with Norwegian and Disney. 

No reason to panic.  Just because they created the offer doesn’t mean a lot of people are taking them up on it.  Of all the families I know (we live in the NYC metro area), we are the only one who even consider Celebrity.  Everyone else is still booking DCL, RCCL, some NCL and some Carnival.  Unless they have really low-key kids who don’t need bells and whistles, they aren’t shopping Celebrity.

I for one am for any kids sail free promotion because it benefits me and my kids are coming on our 12 day Silhouette cruise. I know this one is for the Edge so it really doesn't apply ....... Celebrity is near the bottom or completely off the radar when it comes to family cruising so worry not. We get tired of the same basic itineraries that NCL, Royal, Carnival, etc have to offer. We sail for better itineraires , better food, and longer cruises above the 7 day norm. Don't worry, my kids won't ruin your cruise, as they know not to misbehave or home with grandma they will stay going forward .... a great threat that works. I'm a zero tolerance dad that won't allow my kids to disrupt others .......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Sincere best wishes to you both...

A couple of years ago all our cruise holiday plans were scuppered when I needed surgery and wasn’t able to fly...We thought of cancelling but instead we decided to ‘go out in style’ with a PH from Southampton pre cruise and a RS post recovery....We didn’t exactly have an active cruise on either but the ‘boost’ before hand and the ‘something to look forward to after’ made both cruises very special.

Hope you have a great cruise and sincere best wishes to you both for a speedy recovery...