Closeline Candied Bacon

jhannah

We had this on Koningsdam.  The clothesline presentation is definitely novel, but a bit gimmicky.  I suppose it stops the pieces from sticking together. 

Ours was cut thick and had a somewhat softer than beef jerky consistency.  It was good, however I do not think any of us could have eaten the whole thing as an appetizer.  It's quite rich and I think one might feel sick eating too much of it.  We actually ordered it on a whim for the table to share, and I think that was the way to go. 

Bacon is my favorite food, but I was disappointed with HAL's clothesline.  The presentation is not right for the Pinnacle.  I was actually embarrassed when it arrived at the table with all the other attractive food.  And then puzzled how to eat it without using fingers.  I think it would be great in a pub restaurant, or sport's bar etc. The maple adds a nice touch, but pickle did not nothing IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sansterre said:

The presentation is not right for the Pinnacle.  I was actually embarrassed when it arrived at the table with all the other attractive food.  And then puzzled how to eat it without using fingers.  I think it would be great in a pub restaurant, or sport's bar

My opinion precisely; it's inappropriate for a fine dining experience which PG is supposed to be.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion precisely; it's inappropriate for a fine dining experience which PG is supposed to be.

What? 😏 Maybe you can explain your interpretation of inapprotiateness for the rest of us 'unwashed souls'.. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, rkacruiser said:

No, I have not.  And, I have no intention to do so.  

Bacon as starter for a dinner?  Weird in itself.  And, as I have said previously, the entire presentation is pretentious.

You really like that word don't you.  Did you just learn it?

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, sansterre said:

Bacon is my favorite food, but I was disappointed with HAL's clothesline.  The presentation is not right for the Pinnacle.  I was actually embarrassed when it arrived at the table with all the other attractive food.  And then puzzled how to eat it without using fingers.  I think it would be great in a pub restaurant, or sport's bar etc. The maple adds a nice touch, but pickle did not nothing IMO.

In my just previously posted comment, it is this post of sansterre with which I do agree.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, colbe said:

Personally have no desire to ever order this - but for those of you who fancy it, here is the recipe.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/food-beverage/baconloversday-culinary-council-recipe-david-burkes-clothesline-candied-bacon/

Thank you for posting this recipe.  Interesting that there is mustard and orange zest in the marinade.  I'll try making it at home without the clothesline.

• Like 2

I've been out of Internet service range for awhile and I'm surprised to see this one still going...

Finger foods are served at fine dining restaurants all over.  Nothing wrong with it.  How do you eat your raw oysters?  How do you eat your toasts/bruscettas?  How do you eat your deviled eggs?  Surely you don't use a knife and fork...

As for bacon being a weird choice for an appetizer in a fine dining restaurant - BLT Prime by David Burke *it's his recipe* is not a Outback Steakhouse.   I've had permutations of pork belly as an appetizer (Cowboy Star in San Diego had an yummy one).  

Presentation is in the eye of the beholder - I'm not sure how else to "Plate" the bacon: make a teepee of it with the pickles in the center?  Cross - hatched like a campfire?  Lined up on a white plate with some of the candy-ing sauce drizzled around artistically?  As for the "doneness" of the bacon - that's as contentious as how someone likes their steak.  Some like their bacon limp, some like it crisp, some like it burned to crumble...  

If some of you find the "clothesline" bacon esthetically unpleasing and inappropriate for a fine dining appetizer, I'd be afraid to know what you think of chocolate-dipped bacon or bacon-infused chocolate as dessert.  P.S. both are freakin' amazing!

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, jhannah said:

Have you had a chance to try this in the Pinnacle Grille? It is certainly unique among starters! I thought it was fantastic! I know it isn't on any diet plan, but ya' gotta' step out every now and then! 😁

P1040472.JPG

GRoss     (  IMO .).    

🙂

🙂

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:24 PM, slidergirl said:

Bacon is OK on my type 2 diabetes plan.  I'd just have to see if the "candied" part is under 40 grams of carbs.  I'd have no problem making that just my meal and fill-in with diet-allowed veggies!!!!

Sadly, way more than 40 grams of carbs in an order. One piece will probably be around 12 g. All sugar. No fiber.

as

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

GRoss     (  IMO .).    

🙂

🙂

IJim.    😂🦀 Me,  try it? 

You have no idea how funny  that is.  I truly really seriously cannot stand the smell or taste of   bacon  cooked in  t he normal  recognizable  way, let alone that   mess in the  above photo.   

My  last viist  to  PG was this past May.    If i twas on  t he menu I must  have scanned  right   past it.  🙂

Edited by sail7seas

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

as

IJim.    😂🦀 Me,  try it? 

You have no idea how funny  that is.  I truly really seriously cannot stand the smell or taste of   bacon  cooked in  t he normal  recognizable  way, let alone that   mess in the  above photo.   

My  last viist  to  PG was this past May.    If i twas on  t he menu I must  have scanned  right   past it.  🙂

Please humor us and tell us what you REALLY think about the dish! Lol..

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

Sadly, way more than 40 grams of carbs in an order. One piece will probably be around 12 g. All sugar. No fiber.

Well,  if I keep the rest of the carbs in the dinner to zero, I'd be good to go as I can have 30-40 grams for breakfast, lunch and dinner each.  I could do that - my nutritionist keeps telling me I don't do enough carbs - sometimes I have 5-10 grams for my meal.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 8:25 AM, jhannah said:

Have you had a chance to try this in the Pinnacle Grille? It is certainly unique among starters! I thought it was fantastic! I know it isn't on any diet plan, but ya' gotta' step out every now and then! 😁

P1040472.JPG

I feel compelled to resurrect this photo again, just to get the drool factor going on once more... Yumm!! 😋😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I feel compelled to resurrect this photo again, just to get the drool factor going on once more... Yumm!! 😋😀

May I resurrect my previous opinion as well?  It's a pretentious PG offering.  "Showy", to be sure, but has no appeal for this HAL guest to order.  

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

May I resurrect my previous opinion as well?  It's a pretentious PG offering.  "Showy", to be sure, but has no appeal for this HAL guest to order.  

Then why does "this HAL' guest even need to comment on it?

• Like 2

Just now, opa&oma said:

Then why does "this HAL' guest even need to comment on it?

Because I choose to do so.  It is an item on the PG menu that is not a "fine dining menu" choice, in my opinion.  Fine dining does not need to be "showy" in my opinion.  The PG has had, after many experiences in their restaurants on various Classes of HAL ships, a very difficult time of being consistently "fine dining".   

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Because I choose to do so.  It is an item on the PG menu that is not a "fine dining menu" choice, in my opinion.  Fine dining does not need to be "showy" in my opinion.  The PG has had, after many experiences in their restaurants on various Classes of HAL ships, a very difficult time of being consistently "fine dining".   

What? 🤔

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow - of course you can do as you choose but be prepared if you travel around the world - you might be surprised at some ‘fine dining’ presentations 😉 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Let's end this discussion that is unproductive in providing information for those cruising on HAL that have not experienced the PG nor its menu.

It’s still an item on the menu that many enjoy so it is helpful to those who are looking at the PG menu and they can easily decide what to order when they get there.  It’s not my cup of tea but that doesn’t mean I would degrade it.  I just order something else and there’s enough appetizers to challenge my decision making 😉 😄 

• Like 2