Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
David rut

Passport/travel insurance question for Australian citizen living in US

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just booked a transatlantic cruise from Southampton to New York for this May 31 on Cunard for our honeymoon.

we are really excited but I wanted to ensure we had all the required paperwork in order for the trip. I am an Australian citizen with an aus passport and I am a permanent resident in the USA. My wife is a us citizen. I just wanted to make sure the immigration/ passport requirements would be the same as when we come home from international flights which is just our passports and for me my green card also. I want to ensure the fact that I am not a us citizen will not prevent me from being able to take the cruise at all.

also, I have received some conflicting reports on the need for travel insurance for the trip. I booked our trip through xxx in the us and I believe if the cruise is booked through the us then the travel insurance is not mandatory. The uk rep that I spoke with informed me that I had to have it but this was before he knew I booked through the us. I just want to confirm that we do not need this insurance even though we board the ship in the uk and the fact that I am not a us citizen and only a permanent resident.

sorry for the long winded questions but this is the first time we have ever taken a cruise and want to be sure we have everything covered for our honeymoon.

thanks so much for your time.

David 

Edited by Host Hattie
Removed TA name

You should have no problem returning to the US as a permanent resident with a green card. You might wish to take documentation with you should any questions arise. 

As to whether or not to buy insurance. You are not required, but many travelers find it very useful. If for some reason, you are unable to make the sailing due to illness or accident, you will not get your money back from Cunard. And if you need to be repatriated to the US due to an injury or illness, the expense will be on you. I have always bought the Cunard Care, and have a personal friend for whom it was a godsend. 

Why did you speak with Cunard in the U.K rather than the US office? 

David,

Welcome to Cruise Critic, our guidelines do not allow the naming or discussion of Travel Agents.

I have edited your original post to remove your TAs name.

Thank you for your understanding.

30 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

You should have no problem returning to the US as a permanent resident with a green card. You might wish to take documentation with you should any questions arise. 

As to whether or not to buy insurance. You are not required, but many travelers find it very useful. If for some reason, you are unable to make the sailing due to illness or accident, you will not get your money back from Cunard. And if you need to be repatriated to the US due to an injury or illness, the expense will be on you. I have always bought the Cunard Care, and have a personal friend for whom it was a godsend. 

Why did you speak with Cunard in the U.K rather than the US office? 

Thanks so much for the response. I called the uk first by mistake as my wife and I are currently traveling Europe and I didn’t know there was a difference.

in relation to the insurance I think the mandatory coverage the uk agent was alluding to was for medical coverage rather than for the trip costs etc.

any idea on if we need that to travel on the cruise?

thanks  again for your time and help.

david 

People on US bookings are free to travel with no insurance whatsoever, oddly enough. 

Just curious, how is your US citizen wife covered for medical issues while in Europe? That might inform whether she (and you) should consider overage for the cruise. 

11 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

People on US bookings are free to travel with no insurance whatsoever, oddly enough. 

Just curious, how is your US citizen wife covered for medical issues while in Europe? That might inform whether she (and you) should consider overage for the cruise. 

To be completely honest with you I am not entirely sure. I assume she has coverage through her us medical insurance provider.

does anyone have any Recs for an affordable travel/med insurance provider we could use for the trip?

i wonder if the credit card we used to book offers that when booking?

2 hours ago, David rut said:

To be completely honest with you I am not entirely sure. I assume she has coverage through her us medical insurance provider.

does anyone have any Recs for an affordable travel/med insurance provider we could use for the trip?

i wonder if the credit card we used to book offers that when booking?

It would be wise to look into these issues before you make any decision on insurance. As for the credit card covering trip insurance, you should call their customer service numbers. My card issuer, offers to sell you travel insurance, but I have found it more expensive than Cunard Care.

Typically I've bought comprehensive travel insurance via insuremytrip.com but through experience I've learned that our own health policies will cover us overseas in an emergency via reimbursement (I have to pay first, then will get reimbursed, typically at 80%), including the shipboard medical center. 

Starting this year I'm using the Costco Visa for trip cancelation (covers $3600 per traveler, a different card gives $1500 per trip; our nonrefubdable trip cost almost always totals less than $8700), regular health insurance for overseas emergency medical, and an annual MedJet Assist policy for evacuation.

It's not perfect but the holes are small and the annual evacuation policy cost is on the order of comprehensive insurance for one trip. 

Thank you. I will contact our insurance company and see what they offer. If it’s not any better I will go with the Cunard care.

i have given Cunard our passport details but does anyone know if they require anything further from me in advance of the trip due to the fact that I am not a us citizen? I will obviously have my passport and green card with me on the cruise but wondering if they need anything else in advance.

thanks so much everyone for all your time and help. It is very much appreciated

david