Seasickness prevention tips

David rut

Good morning,

Both my wife and I suffer from sea/motion sickness. We have never been on a cruise before and one of the main reasons we choose a voyage on the qm2 was because we heard that she is a more steady ship purpose built for as an ocean liner. We are hoping this will help a lot but I would also like to know if anyone has any other specific tips on particular medicine (we are only really familiar with Dramamine) or any other suggestions on little things we can do to try to avoid sickness.

thanks so much everyone 

Hello David

I too suffer motion sickness and was concerned it might spoil my Transatlantic Crossing - have no fear 😃

I took Stugeron 15 with me as a precaution first voyage and only took it only very occasionally (we did have 5 metre swells at some stage; decks closed and all that) and it was sufficient to enable me not to miss a thing 🙂

Queen Mary 2 is indeed a very steady ship; the big stabilisers largely stop the side to side, or corkscrew type motion, that tends to be the motion that causes most people to feel seasick. She does rise and fall bow to stern in high seas but if you stay midships the movement is considerably lessened, and as I said seasickness prevention pills were sufficient for me.

Should you want to ramp up the protection, or feel unwell despite precautions, you can go to the medical centre for an injection which I believe is well worth the expense if one is troubled.

Seriously I wouldn't stress 🙂 Most of the time one wouldn't know one was at sea - though that for me was the main attraction so it was marvellus to stroll the decks when calm, and watch the waves from the warm, without feeling queasy, otherwise 🙂

We booked a midships sheltered  stateroom because of my fears first trip and were upgraded to a balcony on deck 8 - which despite my trepidation we took. 2020 will see our return and I have felt confident enough to book a balcony from the outset 🙂

Wishing you a wonderfully smooth experience

MamaFrog 🐸

Last year, on QM2, for fun, and half way across the Pond, I stood a coin up on the bar, and for as long as I was there, it stood without moving.

Sometimes, you have to look out of the windows to remind yourself that you're on a ship.

Happy sailing.

Stewart

• Like 1

If you are concerned, make sure you take your medication before you sail/the weather gets rough ! Once you start feeling ill it's more difficult.

Try and get a cabin lower down the ship and midships and if the weather is rough, spend time in the lower levels of the ship - try the Golden Lion rather than the Commodore Club !

I have suffered in the past, even on QM2 but I take Avomine if the forecast is poor and I've been fine for the last few years.

I refused to cruise for years after a bad experience working on a cruise ship from Sydney.

• Like 1

David,

I also fretted about this prior to our first crossing on the QM2 in 2017. We had booked a year in advance and it seemed that I worried about seasickness every day for that year. As it turned out, much to do about nothing. Even on the one day when we had gale force winds and rough seas, there was no sense of motion sickness and our cabin was on deck 12 forward. No medication, patch or shot from the infirmary was required. The QM2 is an amazingly stable ship. We have done 2 crossings now and have a third voyage booked. While this is purely antidotal, I do think that it helped that part of our daily routine on the ship was to take a brisk walk on the promenade deck each morning shortly after breakfast. Being out in the fresh cool air with the smell of the ocean and being able to see the horizon provided a quick learning curve for our sea-legs. 

You will have the time of your lives. Enjoy.

Jack

Hello David, Everyone is different, and different people experience different levels of sensitivity to motion sickness in different types of situations. Likewise, what works for some does not work for all. I would recommend conducting a few experiments in plenty of time before you sail. You may want to try one of the 'over-the-counter' remedies, and replicate a motion sickness situation for yourself: possibly trying to read a book in a vehicle while someone else is driving. First, see if that does indeed bring on your motion sickness, and then see if the remedy works works for you. Consider experimenting a few different times with a few different remedies, including the patch. That's my plan. I hope you find a plan that works for you, and provides you a level of comfort for your upcoming adventure. Enjoy!

Bonine is less sleep-inducing than Dramamine and I'd recommend it. The generic name is Meclizine. 

DW worries about seasickness but she wears Sea Bands on her wrists and claims they do a great job. 

We also pack candied ginger and it helps settle your stomach if some queasiness does come. They also put a plate of it just inside the entrance to Britannia most days.

• Like 2

Dramamine has a meclizine one also. Called Less Drowsy Dramamine. The injection works very well if there is a large storm or something that caused movement. Many crew members on previous cruises have told me nibbling on green apples also works. Ask for some to be brought to your cabin. Can't hurt.

• Like 1

Please remember you should avoid alcohol if taking many of the antiemetic medications.

We use Buccastem, and it has been needed even on QM2 - once I was actually thrown out of bed, but the medication works well.

• Thanks 1

Don‘t watch a movie in Illuminations when seas are rough.

I usually have no problems with seasickness, but after being 2 hours in the dark focussing on the small screen, I felt badly.

The Britannia Maitre d‘ managed to sneak some ginger candies for me from the Grills and those helped me a lot

Thanks so much everyone. This has made us feel a lot better. We have an interior cabin but they have not assigned our cabin number yet ( they said they may not even assign it until the day of the cruise. I have asked them for a cabin lower in the ship and towards the middle if possible. The agent said she made a note of it for us so fingers crossed we get a lower deck.

thanks again everyone.

david 

There is for many (like my very motion-sickness afflicted husband) a miraculous device called the Relief Band.  Not the cheap pharmacy store one, but the $160+ one.  He said he'd never go on a ship--and we've now done 10, including two TAs.  Everyone I know who has used it is now a true believer.  And it doesn't have the side effects of drowsiness caused by some medications.

Edited by harpy3
Added a thought
  • Thanks 1

If you do take medication make sure you take it at least one hour before you leave port. However when you are a sea for some days make sure you check the weather. If in doubt set your alarm one hour before you get up. Take a pill and go back to sleep for an hour and you should be fine. QM2 is the most stable ship in the world. And above all, stay busy and enjoy yourself!

Edited by Oslo Dutch
Add Cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, David rut said:

I have asked them for a cabin lower in the ship and towards the middle if possible. The agent said she made a note of it for us so fingers crossed we get a lower deck.

With a guarantee cabin, there are no guarantees. 🙂

14 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

Please remember you should avoid alcohol if taking many of the antiemetic medications.

We use Buccastem, and it has been needed even on QM2 - once I was actually thrown out of bed, but the medication works well.

Thrown out of bed?? That sounds quite scary. Hoping for calmer seas.

thanks everyone for all the wonderful pointers. I didn’t realize you had to take the tablets before you wake up so that will no doubt be a big help for us.

we can’t wait. Thanks again everyone 

26 minutes ago, David rut said:

Thrown out of bed?? That sounds quite scary. Hoping for calmer seas.

thanks everyone for all the wonderful pointers. I didn’t realize you had to take the tablets before you wake up so that will no doubt be a big help for us.

we can’t wait. Thanks again everyone 

Glad you have found the boards helpful David 🙂

They were a blessing when we did our first trip. Whatever the query usually somebody, if not several, have a good answer 🙂

Cruiseluvva I'm amazed you were actually thrown out of bed! That must have been some storm. Trust you were not hurt, and glad it evidently didn't put you off ships.

David Roll Calls are a great way to get familiar with your particular voyage and make connections before the voyage too - have you found yours yet? They can be a fabulous resource and you meet some really nice folk who you may also meet in person if you wish. 

Wishing you well

Actually I was hurt, my shoulder was hurt where I hit the wall.

No it didn’t put me off, I had done many cruises before then - and since - and I know it was unusual. But contrary to what is often said, you definitely CAN sometimes feel movement on QM2. She still remains my favourite ship though. 

• Like 1

I would suggest a dry run of whichever medication you choose. I used to use Stugeron 15 but over time it has been making me more and more drowsy. The last time I took it I ended up sleeping most of the day - I just couldn't keep my eyes open.

I've tried other medications since then that while make me sleepy, don't seem to knock me out in quite the same way that the Stugeron now do. Side effects do change person to person so its worth finding something that works for you. 

45 minutes ago, cruiseluvva said:

Actually I was hurt, my shoulder was hurt where I hit the wall.

No it didn’t put me off, I had done many cruises before then - and since - and I know it was unusual. But contrary to what is often said, you definitely CAN sometimes feel movement on QM2. She still remains my favourite ship though. 

Oh my Cruiseluvva! Sorry you were hurt.

Glad such events are unusual - it must have been a huge sea. 

Agree that one can sometimes feel movement - we had a couple of staggery nights (due to waves not alcohol) and at such times one was conscious of the thud of the bow - but most of the time we really didn't notice.

Glad your tumble didn't put you off - that says much for the positive experience overall 🙂

I am troubled with sea sickness (travel sickness) but love cruising so I go prepared. Most of the time I manage quite well by eating good meals but where needed I use Stugeron. I take 2 as soon as the forecast suggests rougher weather then move to one morning and evening (or if weather is really bad then I take full dosage as recommended). I take ginger tablets whch work well (bought in a health food type shop). I try to find activities in the lower decks or read somewhere low down. I walk round the prom deck in the fresh air. My sister says her wrist bands work best for her but they don't work for me. Go prepared and you probably won't need to take anything. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

I'm the Queen of Mal de Mer. 

You can use Bonine, Dramamine, Relief Bands, ginger, and scopolamine patches.  I really don't like the side effects of drowsiness and thirst.  The others don't work for me. 

I my case, my seasickness is caused by poor depth perception and a lack of visual convergence.  I suggest that you take every opportunity to stare at the horizon.  Walk the promenade often.  Here are some other items that may help:

https://www.boardingglasses.com/

https://eyesonboard.com/

https://www.travelshades.com/

I have both the Boarding Glasses and the Travel Shades.  To date, I've only used the Travel Shades on a ship.  They worked for me on my last cruise.  But, we had very calm seas.  I wore them intermittently.   I always wore them on the tender and made certain I was seated facing forward, in the middle, and next to the open side.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the Boarding Glasses.  The Eyes On Board appear to be a knock off, but they should work.  These are worn for 20 minute intervals as needed.  You don't have to worry about looking like a cartoon character.  Just wear them in the cabin each morning when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok we are all set and have been given our cabin number. We are so excited for the trip to begin.

our cabin is 6064 on deck 6. Judging by the map it seems it be kind of towards the front of the ship and deck 6 seems like it may be one of the lower decks which I believe will be good for our seasickness fears.

can anyone who knows the ship better than I confirm that this cabin is fairly low in the ship and be a good fit for us in terms of seasickness fears?

thanks so much everyone!

david