Flåm - Norway in a nutshell

Hello!

Just booked a Norwegian cruise (on Azura, so have been reading the lengthy thread about that boat nervously!)

Anyway I would like to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour at Flåm (I did this a backpacking youth in the 90s and thoroughly enjoyed it).

Comparing the P&O trip to that offered by the tourist office, it seem the fjord cruise is replaced by a coach drive. My only concern in doing this trip independently is that there are likely to be large queues for the trains with other cruise passengers and I am conscious of the need to return to the boat in time.

It will also be a shame to miss out on the boat trip, but as I am on a cruise I can live with it!

Has anyone done the Norway in a Nutshell trip independently rather than on the organised excursion? If so how did it go, specifically getting on the train.

I have to say I am leaning towards booking it through P&O if only for peace of mind. And the price difference is surprisingly modest.

I believe there are various versions of the Nutshell tour and some of them take more than a day! The P&O one is basically up the mountain and back by a different route. I have the P&O one booked for July on Aurora.

I've done the train at Flam independently of the cruise line - but that's all I did there - book the train tickets online in advance but I don't know about the other elements of the tour

We have done it with p o in 2017 enjoyed it so doing it again in June going with adult son his first time, was looking at just the train but decided it's better value to do Norway in a Nutshell as it's a lot longer and includes a meal .

• Like 1

Have decided to "play it safe" and go with P&O - I've heard there can be issues getting the train independently if there are a couple of ships in that day. The P&O "premium" for that tour isn't too bad so decided to go for it.

Thanks for the replies

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, funinhounslow said:

It will also be a shame to miss out on the boat trip, but as I am on a cruise I can live with it

We did a nutshell excursion with Princess cruises.  Bus Flam to Voss. train Voss to Myrdal, train Myrdal to Flam.  We both loved the bus drive into the Naeroy valley, it was our favourite part of the trip, (although some tours did the excursion in reverse).  Lunch at the Voss hotel was excellent too.  We did the boat excursion last year, but our favourite is still the drive into the valley.  Hope you have a lovely time!

Edited by rosebuds
'last' year

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

Thanks, I'm sure I will. It looks an acceptable alternative to the "full" Nutshell tour, and given the price of a straight round trip on the train makes sense to do. Really looking forward to this trip!

You will enjoy this tour as I said before this is one he second time doing this excursion lovely day , only difference we couldn't get booked onto 9.30am so doing 11am.