Buying drink package on board ( either refreshment or deluxe)

Got me wondering as I’m diamond plus, what the price of the drinks packages (both refresh and deluxe) would actually be on board. As I would get a discount of  30% I believe, would it be cheaper on board rather than the online sale

Onboard price varies,  Rpyal uses dynamic pricing.  You may find someone who can post their price, but it could be different on your sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been trying to find where I can book a beverage package whilst completing my reservation application but cannot see it. Does this have to be added once the reservation process is completed?

40 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

I have been trying to find where I can book a beverage package whilst completing my reservation application but cannot see it. Does this have to be added once the reservation process is completed?

You can't buy anything to add to your reservation until you have a reservation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Got me wondering as I’m diamond plus, what the price of the drinks packages (both refresh and deluxe) would actually be on board. As I would get a discount of  30% I believe, would it be cheaper on board rather than the online sale

Which ship?

6 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Explorer and Indy 

There are no guarantees, but it is likely that 30% off the full,  onboard price, will be at least as good as any price you can get in your Cruise Planner.

Let's say that the full price onboard is $65.  Your price would be $45.50  - it is rare to see anything better than that pre-cruise these days.

But it is a little like Russian roulette.  🙂 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scottraveller said:

The discount only applies to the Deluxe package.  No discounts on the refreshment package.

I didn't realise D+ got a discount off the Deluxe package - I'm only D at the moment, but something to look forward to... Does this only apply to onboard purchase, or do you get a discount via the cruise planner tool?

We board Indy a week tomorrow. I'm planning to post from the ship so I'll look out for you and let you know although as Bob says it may vary cruise to cruise.

1 hour ago, *twinkle* said:

I didn't realise D+ got a discount off the Deluxe package - I'm only D at the moment, but something to look forward to... Does this only apply to onboard purchase, or do you get a discount via the cruise planner tool?

Onboard purchase  only.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, biomedbob said:

Look forward to your postings!  As D+ I've screwed up by pre-purchasing.

You may not have as it depends upon the price you paid online.  I have seen it online for my cruises advertised at 30% off so that would, in all likelihood, be the same price as onboard.  

If  you buy onboard immediately, you have to pay Florida (or wherever) sales tax, as well, don't you?  Is it best to wait until you've been at sea for a few hours?  Sorry, I don't cruise RCI as much anymore, not up to date on their policies.

Just now, maureencruiser said:

If  you buy onboard immediately, you have to pay Florida (or wherever) sales tax, as well, don't you?  Is it best to wait until you've been at sea for a few hours?  Sorry, I don't cruise RCI as much anymore, not up to date on their policies.

So far, Royal has not charged US state sales tax on package purchases while on board.  Individual drinks get charged sales tax while in port, but not packages.

If you can get the Deluxe Beverage package online at a discount.... (say $49.99)… and the onboard regular price is $63 (which I have seen)..... then you will save a "few" dollars per day, per person. But waiting to buy it onboard, you are talking a chance of it NOT being cheaper (or at least the same price) than you can buy online. I'm the "play it safe" kinda gal... so I'll purchase online. The only way (to me) that it'd be good to wait til onboard is if the package is NOT on sale online pre-cruise.  

On Anthem the on-board price for the deluxe was $66 pp/pd (plus gratuity of course) and that is the number that I arrived at using Royal's math pre-cruise to figure out if the drink package was worth it (we purchased at $46pp and yes, it was worth it). They offered a special for the first day or two of $66 for the first package and $33 for the second.

Edited by sparks1093

On 5/12/2019 at 3:54 PM, Host Clarea said:

So far, Royal has not charged US state sales tax on package purchases while on board.  Individual drinks get charged sales tax while in port, but not packages.

I got charged the florida sales tax onboard the Rhapsody and Harmony Over the past year.  

I argued with with them at the service desk  on Rhapsody and they removed the taxes. No luck on the Harmony.

1 minute ago, later said:

I got charged the florida sales tax onboard the Rhapsody and Harmony Over the past year.  

I argued with with them at the service desk  on Rhapsody and they removed the taxes. No luck on the Harmony.

I've seen a very few reports of US sales tax being charged on packages by mistake, and this has been corrected onboard.

We sale on Harmony next week. The lowest the deluxe beverage package has been in the cruise planner is $52. The current sailing of Harmony had an offer on Day 1 of buy 1 at $66 and the second one half off which would equate to $99 pp pd which is $5 cheaper pp pd then the cruise planner. Now I know that the prices vary so that same offer/pricing may not apply next week, but let's assume that it does, can I cancel the package and re-purchase immediately upon boarding the ship? Can I request a refund of the difference? Or am I locked in once the cruise planner closes?

13 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

We sale on Harmony next week. The lowest the deluxe beverage package has been in the cruise planner is $52. The current sailing of Harmony had an offer on Day 1 of buy 1 at $66 and the second one half off which would equate to $99 pp pd which is $5 cheaper pp pd then the cruise planner. Now I know that the prices vary so that same offer/pricing may not apply next week, but let's assume that it does, can I cancel the package and re-purchase immediately upon boarding the ship? Can I request a refund of the difference? Or am I locked in once the cruise planner closes?

I think your math is a little off. The day 1 offer would be $49.50 pp pd compared to the cruise planner price of $52 pp pd. You're saving $2.50 pp pd.

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

You're not locked in, you can cancel onboard up to some certain time, like 24 or 48 hours into the cruise.