Independence UK 2020 sailings cancelled

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

The expired card may be an issue, especially if it doesn't get renewed under the same account number.

Thanks - that's what I want to query. Although it is under the same account number at least.

I just want the refund now as all booked on another cruise with Celebrity (this was going to be my first as part of my honeymoon!).

Edited by Ade87

On 21 May 2019 at 9:50 PM, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

As someone on Anthem on the TA next April for the first time that's cheered me up no end 😮

I haven't been keeping up to date with this thread as we've been on Indy this week. I wouldn't worry too much though. We did a bridge tour on Thursday and someone actually asked Captain Teo about the handling of Indy versus Anthem in the Bay of Biscay. His reply was that even though Indy is his favourite ship the Quantum class ships do handle the rough seas better as they are designed to cut through the waves differently. I'm not technical so don't know all the details but I believe which ever ship you are on if its really rough you will feel it. Years ago we did an Explorer cruise from New Jersey and we certainly felt the storm we sailed through.

Honestly and truthfully did you really expect uto get anything less than nothing but good to great accolades about the Anthem or ANYTHING said negatively about any if the RCI fleet? That incident where the Captain like others cruise line ships have done sailing into or far enough away from the storms gets swept under the carpet. UNLESS people affected directly from the terrifying event the industry hope's that people will have a short memory. I brought up the subject to the Captain of the Harmony two years ago and the crassness of his answer was " if you expect me to answer any questions about the event that took place your tour of the bridge is over". Hows them crackers for a reply from a ship's Captain!

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Honestly and truthfully did you really expect uto get anything less than nothing but good to great accolades about the Anthem or ANYTHING said negatively about any if the RCI fleet? That incident where the Captain like others cruise line ships have done sailing into or far enough away from the storms gets swept under the carpet. UNLESS people affected directly from the terrifying event the industry hope's that people will have a short memory. I brought up the subject to the Captain of the Harmony two years ago and the crassness of his answer was " if you expect me to answer any questions about the event that took place your tour of the bridge is over". Hows them crackers for a reply from a ship's Captain!

What is your point in bringing this storm up again and again in a thread about Independence withdrawn from Europe?

• Like 3

For the same reason that others have chimed in Saab4444 and to let others know that if they don't mind sailing on a Quantum class ship that's been described then go for it. As a seasoned D+ cruiser with 70 RCI cruises the Anthem's cruise was our first and last cruise on the Class. And to make aware to others what could be expected. After all cruising is about a passengers relaxation, and comfort. RCI is in the business of making and sometimes taking away money as I've read from some poor souls that are getting blown off from getting their money and credit. Its something that people should know about and understand so they wont make the mistake twice.

43 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

For the same reason that others have chimed in Saab4444 and to let others know that if they don't mind sailing on a Quantum class ship that's been described then go for it. As a seasoned D+ cruiser with 70 RCI cruises the Anthem's cruise was our first and last cruise on the Class. And to make aware to others what could be expected. After all cruising is about a passengers relaxation, and comfort. RCI is in the business of making and sometimes taking away money as I've read from some poor souls that are getting blown off from getting their money and credit. Its something that people should know about and understand so they wont make the mistake twice.

I thank you for your helpful posts.

I think a poor captain was primarily to blame for sailing into a storm on Anthem and your first hand experience of a ships capabilities in a storm is very helpful to me.

We are currently on Independence.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

8 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

But again: Was the weather bad? Yes! Was it a poor decision to drive into the storm? Yes! Is it related to the design of Quantum Class? No because her sleek and long design with more depths is better to cope with bad weather and high waves than the more wide and top-heavy design of Oasis or even Freedom Class! Can you avoid running into bad weather on the open seas? No because it is mother nature and this risk is part of sailing. And I am not a big fan of Quantum Class as well,  but for other reasons. Do you have plans to travel on Oasis from Bayonne next summer? I ask because the Captain you are referring to is not on Anthem anymore.

Is it related to the design of Quantum Class? No because her sleek and long design with more depths is better to cope with bad weather and high waves than the more wide and top-heavy design of Oasis or even Freedom Class! A narrow and tall object will sway in the wind more, that's how its built. Look at the Anthem how many times the North Star was unable to function properly. Why, because the ship sways too much in moderate winds. The attraction on a number of sailings is not able to be used because of that. You haven't seen any other Quantum Class ships with a North Star ride. The operator used to take the attraction off to the sides of the ship, now most times it just goes up and down they don't often take it over the sides.I asked why it wasn't and was told for safety reasons they wont do it. Can you avoid running into bad weather on the open seas? No because it is mother nature and this risk is part of sailing. In this day of weather predictions even in the open seas the bridge has the technology to be able to get the forecasts and utilize that to provide the passengers comfort. There's no reason why the Captain didn't take the Northern route towards Canada, instead on the first night he took it right into the storm barreling up the east coast, a lack of concern for passengers safety and comfort. he also was aware that the ship had no use of the stabilizers. And I am not a big fan of Quantum Class as well,  but for other reasons. Do you have plans to travel on Oasis from Bayonne next summer? No way would we be doing that, we learned a hard lesson and that's why I'm passing the information along about the Anthem to others that may not be familiar with the Quantum Class ships. Our next cruise is on the Adventure out of Ft. Lauderdale in a few months.I ask because the Captain you are referring to is not on Anthem anymore. Shortly after the Anthem returned to Port Liberty the Captain was relieved of his duties pending an official Maritime Investigation. After some time passed he was assigned to the Mariner OTS that was operating in Asia. As I mentioned earlier, its water over the dam now, people don't always think back about things like that and hope for the best.

Wow! Talk about a thread getting off track. The talk about different ships stability is interesting and deserves a thread of its own but it would be nice if this thread could stay about the subject title.

Speaking of which I think in the wee hours of 5/24 I recevied an email from AMEX that Royal Caribbean had refunded my cancelled Indy cruise deposit. As of that evening my TA said she still had not seen the future cruise credit.

We are going to use the future cruise credit for a Caribbean cruise on Harmony so I can finally experience an Oasis class ship. I am exctied about that but that cruise is no way in the same league as the amazing 15 night Caribbean / Transatlantic crossing to Ireland then England cruise we had booked on Indy. i am still bummed about that but appreciate Royal Caribbeans gesture of the cruise credit.

2 hours ago, notladjr said:

Wow! Talk about a thread getting off track. The talk about different ships stability is interesting and deserves a thread of its own but it would be nice if this thread could stay about the subject title.

Well said 👏

• Like 2

Hi

I am utterly disgusted how Rci are treating its UK customers. 

One highly priced Ship from Southampton left.

Prices inflated due to high demand of one ship.

This is just chasing the almighty buck with yet another ship in the Caribbean.

The fact is some dont like flying but love to cruise.

It's not the itinerary its the cruise experience.

I think after yrs of loyal uk customers booking the indy.

This is a big let down and a kick in the teeth..

If i wasnt already paid up for this year I would change to another line.

I say go home all together rci.

You've just completly disgraced yourself in our eyes.

• Like 2

I was pretty upset about it at first...

But we booked Jewel for a 12-day Mediterranean Greek Isles cruise out of Barcelona in October instead, for significantly cheaper, plus almost $2000 in FCC. I think overall it will actually work out better. 🙂 Spending a few days in London, then Paris, then cruising out of Barcelona instead of just London and cruising out of Southampton.

I won't get to be on the ship during my birthday like I originally planned, but the Anthem cruises available just weren't appealing to me.

5 hours ago, kalaniiwow said:

I was pretty upset about it at first...

But we booked Jewel for a 12-day Mediterranean Greek Isles cruise out of Barcelona in October instead, for significantly cheaper, plus almost $2000 in FCC. I think overall it will actually work out better. 🙂 Spending a few days in London, then Paris, then cruising out of Barcelona instead of just London and cruising out of Southampton.

I think the appeal of the Independence cruises is that for a lot of UK cruisers is was a no fly option. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

And with Indy all the cruise options to the Norwegian Fjords and the Baltic from Southampton are gone. Anthem does not offer something similar. 

When they announced the 2020 itineraries it always confused me why they were sending the ship designed for colder climates on the southern routes, and the ship with no indoors swimming pool to the north!!  Now it makes even less sense. 

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

And with Indy all the cruise options to the Norwegian Fjords and the Baltic from Southampton are gone. Anthem does not offer something similar. 

Perhaps the final chapter on the ship deployment "musical chairs" hasn't been completed yet...

8 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Perhaps the final chapter on the ship deployment "musical chairs" hasn't been completed yet...

In the past Cruise dates would be released with little as 11-12months before sailing. Now they are releasing them 6 months earlier, some up to 2+ yrs out, it is more likely Sailings/dates will change...

48 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

In the past Cruise dates would be released with little as 11-12months before sailing. Now they are releasing them 6 months earlier, some up to 2+ yrs out, it is more likely Sailings/dates will change...

In some cases...changes came just 90 days or less prior to new routes/schedules (when ship movements were involved).

On 5/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, rattla said:

That is one serious thanks, but no thanks to the UK market then.  Clearly not making enough from having those ships there!

Its about coco cay. They want ships there every day. Indy was their best option.