Independence UK 2020 sailings cancelled

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I was on the Oasis noro sailing in Jan and Ovation last week - on Oasis they went above what was needed, on Ovation perhaps a little below - what happened on Ovation was mostly out of their control.

What happened on Ovation? 

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

That sounds like it was out of RCCL hands.

Some disgruntled customers may not think so or had something else to complain about (like the tender issues in Maui or the disembarkation in Vancouver). 

Edited by Biker19

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The itinerary was severely modified due to a Coast Guard inspection in Hawaii and movement restrictions in Vancouver. 

That second part I can believe. Having sailed out of beautiful Vancouver's cruise terminal...we have seen how the folks there are absolutely minuscule sticklers for meeting very high standards to sail out of that harbor.

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That second part I can believe. Having sailed out of beautiful Vancouver's cruise terminal...we have seen how the folks there are absolutely minuscule sticklers for meeting very high standards to sail out of that harbor.

The original itinerary had arrival at 6 AM, while the ship ended up coming in at 8PM the previous night - Vancouver itself was not the issue but the reduced time in Victoria caused by the early arrival. 

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some disgruntled customers may not think so or had something else to complain about (like the tender issues in Maui or the disembarkation in Vancouver). 

If they have genuine reasons to complain I'm sure RC will compensate them.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The original itinerary had arrival at 6 AM, while the ship ended up coming in at 8PM the previous night - Vancouver itself was not the issue but the reduced time in Victoria caused by the early arrival. 

Understood.  But we did experience that the port authorities there have some highly-strict standards for porting there, including the exact route in and out of the port....kinda like an obsessed port Pilot. 😀

44 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The itinerary was severely modified due to a Coast Guard inspection in Hawaii and movement restrictions in Vancouver. 

Thanks. Sorry to hear that. :classic_sad:

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Were are you actually on this cruise?

The fault for the Coast Guard inspection 100% falls to Royal Caribbean.   It was sold as a Hawaiian cruise. RCCL sold the cruise Knowing that it required this inspection.   We have received confirmation from the company supporting this. They didn’t build the inspection into the original itinerary because it would’ve been a hard sell.    So they toldno one until after final payment. Held everyone to the final payment without any changes or cancellations once the itinerary was significantly altered.  Then about a week prior to the cruise they told everyone that we were losing many hours in Victoria because there was only a 30 minute window that the ship could go underneath the bridge into Vancouver. So once again we lost yet another sea day- Because of something Royal Caribbean should’ve known about. Now they claim they didn’t realize it. But guess what we found out. They most certainly knew about it because they specifically went to Vancouver to break the record of the Norwegian Cruise line ship last year that went under this bridge and held the current record. So once again they waited until the absolute last minute to let everyone know that we were losing significant time in Victoria. Why did that matter? Well because nothing opened in the town of Victoria until 11 and the ship left at one. When it was supposed to leave at like 8 o’clock at night. So the ship basically was making it seem like “oh will we make it under this bridge blah blah” when they contacted all of this media to show up to make it a big PR event.  So I ask you- Why should it be on my dime that they get a full ship of passengers paying gratuities for a PR event and also a mandatory three day inspection. The best way I can describe this cruise is that it was sold as a black tie event and when you showed up it was a backyard barbecue.

Every person can obviously make their own educated guess based on multiple examples with in just the last few months of Royal Caribbean making business decisions that affect the passengers bottom line. This was not a good cruise. You will find people who will say it was great. Because they had nothing to compare it to or their expectations or just really low. When you have 280 nights on the same cruise line you know what to expect, what is a good value and when you’re getting screwed

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I was on the Oasis noro sailing in Jan and Ovation last week - on Oasis they went above what was needed, on Ovation perhaps a little below - what happened on Ovation was mostly out of their control.

Have you done your research on that? Because we have documentation to support it was well within their control. They knew about both the inspection and also the bridge issue long before it was announced. And long before final payment.

We were great PR for both Honolulu and also Vancouver. They got Free Press all over the new stations for being the largest ship in both Honolulu and Vancouver. Do you think that was by accident?We were great PR for both Honolulu and also Vancouver. They got Free Press all over the new stations for being the largest ship in both Honolulu and Vancouver. Do you think that was by accident?

7 hours ago, hackwid said:

Were are you actually on this cruise?

The fault for the Coast Guard inspection 100% falls to Royal Caribbean.   It was sold as a Hawaiian cruise. RCCL sold the cruise Knowing that it required this inspection.   We have received confirmation from the company supporting this. They didn’t build the inspection into the original itinerary because it would’ve been a hard sell.    So they toldno one until after final payment.

Yes.

I would like to see/hear evidence that RCI knew before final payment that the inspection would take 3 days. RCI knew an inspection necessary but didn't know how long it would take.

7 hours ago, hackwid said:

They knew about both the inspection and also the bridge issue long before it was announced. 

Maybe, though I have yet to see any direct evidence of exactly when they knew and the details of that.

I came to this thread looking for information on Independence of the Seas and all these posts are rants about a totally different Ovation of the Seas issue. 

Moderators you need to step in and either lock this thread or move these unrelated posts to a new thread please. 

• Like 1

Quite interesting news about the Independence to say the least ! Well now, where it's only been announced ( as far as I've already read)  that it will get based out of Fort Lauderdale next year at a yet to be announced time frame. I looked into the RCI  "Book a Cruise" sight and nothing has been posted as to the month or itinerary with the exception of Cococay as one of the stops that was already brought up. Realistically, I would like to see it do a seven nighter even if it has to include CocoCay as one of the destinations, fellow cruisers, we don't have much of a choice, the new attraction will need to get paid for one way or another by many different ships stopping there. Currently the Mariner and Navigator are holding down the 3 & 4 night itineraries with the focus on CocoCay being the highlight. RCI would be smart to also include putting back a seven nighter utilizing a Voyager Class ship where the other choices for a large ship relies solely on taking an Oasis Class out of the three east Florida ports.

I realize that RCI's purpose is to promote their island and hopes that it will draw the attention to families, but remember RCI there are other seasoned and some not so seasoned cruiser out there that are seeking a better alternative. (I for one) I'm sure by now RCI already has their itinerary planned out and is just waiting for the seas to calm before announcing anymore. Just my thoughts, anyone else care to have their say?

Thanks to those in advance who reply.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, Bloodgem said:

Unfortunately for passengers that  require an accessible cabin a  year's notice may not be long enough.  We booked our cruise on the Anthem, for June 2020, in November 2018. 

Folks travelling on the Anthem from Southampton, please be aware of the fact that she's narrower and tall and has more of a tendency to rock more than the other LARGE RCI Class ships. Case in point, was four years ago late January early February we left Port Liberty NJ and encountered a storm in the North Atlantic going south to the Caribbean. This Quantum Class ship doesn't do well in windy / stormy conditions. I wouldn't wish that to happen to anyone else.

6 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Folks travelling on the Anthem from Southampton, please be aware of the fact that she's narrower and tall and has more of a tendency to rock more than the other LARGE RCI Class ships. Case in point, was four years ago late January early February we left Port Liberty NJ and encountered a storm in the North Atlantic going south to the Caribbean. This Quantum Class ship doesn't do well in windy / stormy conditions. I wouldn't wish that to happen to anyone else.

Sorry to hear you were on that voyage which looked frightening.

We have not been on Anthem yet and the thought of going through the Bay of Biscay in that ship is worrying.

We have now booked Allure out of Barcelona since Independence is not coming over next year.

50 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

grapau27, I believe you've made a very good decision for many reasons. A cruise is supposed to be a relaxing time for everyone. Good luck on choosing the Allure, enjoy your holiday !

Thank you.

The Mediterranean sea where Allure is based next summer is usually very calm in summer compared to The North Sea, English Channel and the Atlantic especially in the Bay of Biscay Area where Independence was to sail and where Anthem will be next year.

Graham.

This also negatively impacts the crew. There are several British crew (usually those in the division managed by the CD) that are often based out of Southampton and some of them prefer being based in their home country (I've heard it first hand before). With only 1 ship, that option isn't really there.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

Hey,  

can i ask if people have received their refunds now or their FCC? 

They have offered us Anthem, but can’t match the same category cabin, as the one we booked doesn’t exist on that ship! 

All a bit frustrating... so trying to work our what to do now!! 

We had a junior suite on the 15 night Indy repositioning cruise and those are sold out on Anthem.  Plus it gets to England earlier than I would like because of weather considerations.  So instead taking our approximately $1300 future cruise credit and am using it for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Harmony of the Seas so we can finally check out an Oasis class ship. Still heartbroken our dream cruise is not going to happen for our 40th anniversary.