Independence UK 2020 sailings cancelled

17 hours ago, Suzy Huntley said:

I was booked to sail on the Independence to the Norwegian Fjords in May, an itinerary I've wanted to do for ages. I'm so disappointed! I'm trying to find an alternative for next year - does anyone know when the next 'all inclusive' deals will be released? I'm assuming the FCC will be deductible for any cruise fare even if drinks package are included?????

Is your main focus on going to the Fjords or on having the all inclusive package? For the Fjords, and Indy offered just the standard itineraries with usual ports on a 7/8 night cruise, there are many alternatives, e.g. with P&O, Cunard, NCL or Princess from Southampton or with Royal from Copenhagen.  

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I was saying that they are treating us completely different than the Oasis passengers. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they do.

With all due respect they are hardly the same scenarios. They cancelled 3 Oasis cruise on 2 April - one of which was to depart only 5 days later and one of which was a Transatlantic (involving multi city flights). Whilst I sympathise with those who are losing their Independence cruises they have at least a year's notice. 

I speak as someone who should have been on the Oasis TA and wasn't able to make alternative arrangements at such short notice so didn't get my holiday - along with many others. And many who did were financially worse off, despite the FCC, because of flights/hotels and other expenses which RC either didn't reimburse or didn't fully cover. And most people found that their insurance didn't cover it too.

Edited by Bobal

39 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Whilst I sympathise with those who are losing their Independence cruises they have at least a year's notice. 

Unfortunately for passengers that  require an accessible cabin a  year's notice may not be long enough.  We booked our cruise on the Anthem, for June 2020, in November 2018. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, Suzy Huntley said:

I was booked to sail on the Independence to the Norwegian Fjords in May, an itinerary I've wanted to do for ages. I'm so disappointed! I'm trying to find an alternative for next year - does anyone know when the next 'all inclusive' deals will be released? I'm assuming the FCC will be deductible for any cruise fare even if drinks package are included?????

I was on a fjords cruise as well and really looking forward to it. Royal isn't offering one now so I rebooked on a P&O ship - better price, brand new ship, and an aft balcony so it all worked out! P&O is new for me but looking forward to trying it out! I'm from the US and Royal never offers us drinks packages:(

10 hours ago, akb5k said:

I was on a fjords cruise as well and really looking forward to it. Royal isn't offering one now so I rebooked on a P&O ship - better price, brand new ship, and an aft balcony so it all worked out! P&O is new for me but looking forward to trying it out! I'm from the US and Royal never offers us drinks packages:(

I’m also trying P&O Iona after being loyal to Royal for my last 5 cruises - not because I was booked on the Indy but just because we fancied a change!!!! Can’t wait to see what she looks like!!!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

I’m also trying P&O Iona after being loyal to Royal for my last 5 cruises - not because I was booked on the Indy but just because we fancied a change!!!! Can’t wait to see what she looks like!!!! 🙂

I've never sailed P&O, do you know what the age range on board is? Am I wrong in assuming its a more senior age group? The FCC is very tempting though, but I had my eye on a Greek isles cruise but in the space of 24 hours the balcony cabins went up by £1000!!!

10 hours ago, Vegcurry said:

I’ve received my refunded deposit from my TA but no news on my FCC from Royal. Does anybody know how they’re doing this and if there’s a date I should have it by?

I got my email on Monday confirming FCC and how to claim it. Maybe they haven't processed all the FCCs yet? I haven't received my deposit refund yet.

11 hours ago, akb5k said:

I'm a little bit nervous about booking P&O, my perception is that it caters for the older generation, maybe I'm wrong about that. 

23 minutes ago, Suzy Huntley said:

I've never sailed P&O, do you know what the age range on board is? Am I wrong in assuming its a more senior age group? The FCC is very tempting though, but I had my eye on a Greek isles cruise but in the space of 24 hours the balcony cabins went up by £1000!!!

I’m not sure about the age group although I think I’m with you in assuming it’s more senior - could be totally wrong though! Also because it’s a larger ship we might find a younger(ish) crowd! I had my eye on the Anthem Canaries cruise before the Indy got cancelled and all of a sudden the prices shot up so plumped for P&O instead! Never hurts to have a change once in a while!!! 🙂🙂

11 hours ago, akb5k said:

I'm guessing you have booked on Iona? This will be P&O's  flagship when she enters service so should be really nice. As for drinks packages, P&O do sell all inclusive drinks packages at a cost of £39.99 pppd. I think it pretty much covers everything less high end champagne and whiskey etc. Alternatively, you are allowed to take up to One litre of your chosen drink each at the start of your cruise to drink in your cabin.

Check their website for details. Have a great cruise! 😊

1 hour ago, Suzy Huntley said:

Iona is currently being built and will enter service doing a full season of 7 night Fjord cruises from and to Southampton UK 

It will be a child friendly ship

184,000 tons.

5,200 guests.

1800 crew.

We are D+ on Royal but have sailed 100 nights on P&O and the age range is always varied with most aged 25-55 years old.

Tips are included.

Drinks are reasonably priced with no gratuities added to drinks.

Your assumption is correct, I used to work for them and live not far from Southampton, my mum sails on P&O and often comments on how old everyone is - and she's 73!!!

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Iona is currently being built and will enter service doing a full season of 7 night Fjord cruises from and to Southampton UK 

It will be a child friendly ship

184,000 tons.

5,200 guests.

1800 crew.

We are D+ on Royal but have sailed 100 nights on P&O and the age range is always varied with most aged 25-55 years old.

Tips are included.

Drinks are reasonably priced with no gratuities added to drinks.

Thanks for that info - having never sailed on P&O I was unsure about the age range but just bit the bullet and booked it!!! That sounds good to me! 🙂

I'm a little bit nervous about booking P&O, my perception is that it caters for the older generation, maybe I'm wrong about that. 

I'm not worried about it, they have a kid's club so obviously families are welcome! With it being a new ship it should attract a range of ages. And I saw this:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/325265/iona-attracts-younger-passengers-to-po-cruises

8 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

Your assumption is correct, I used to work for them and live not far from Southampton, my mum sails on P&O and often comments on how old everyone is - and she's 73!!!

Not so.

The mini cruises are full of hen parties and stag parties.

The traditional ships

Oriana and Aurura attract the older crowd but the newer ships.

Britannia, Ventura,Azura and the new Iona have a much more mixed crowd 

Saga and Fred Olsen cruiselines attract mainly over 65 aged Brits.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Thanks for that info - having never sailed on P&O I was unsure about the age range but just bit the bullet and booked it!!! That sounds good to me! 🙂

Your welcome.

I'm certain you will have a fantastic time on this new ship.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, akb5k said:

I'm not worried about it, they have a kid's club so obviously families are welcome! With it being a new ship it should attract a range of ages. And I saw this:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/325265/iona-attracts-younger-passengers-to-po-cruises

You will have a fantastic time.

We have sailed on all their ships and all the new ships we sailed in their maiden season and always had a fantastic time.

Your attachment was excellent and will help others on cc.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Not so.

The traditional ships

That's odd, my mum has been on both Britannia and azura, so perhaps it depends on itineraries and time of year? Besides age bracket it's too formal for us!

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Not so.

The traditional ships

Other thing that puts us off is 'dress codes' I can't bare being told what to wear on holiday! I know they now have flexible dining which is good but their website telling you what to wear pretty much sums it up for us!

Never felt like that on Royal...

Screenshot_20190517-115953.png

18 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Things that would make me never sail on P&O - waving Union Jacks and playing Rule Britannia as they leave port <cringe>. We call it Brexit-on-Sea

Look on the positive side. The downstairs bar is line free 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Things that would make me never sail on P&O - waving Union Jacks and playing Rule Britannia as they leave port <cringe>. We call it Brexit-on-Sea

With you on that one 👍 horrendous!!! It's just too British for us!

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

The "P-a P-a P&o" song they had playing when one of their ships pulled out next to Anthem a few years ago was cringey enough to put me off ever sailing on them 😁