Teens and Curfew

Jenjer

I saw something on another thread and this is off subject. 

Do teens have a ship curfew?  We are sailing on Carnival Horizon

How late do most social butterfly teens stay out? What is open after the nightly party ends say 1 am any late night dance club?

No curfew. You can have check in times scheduled with your kid. Or even better, make sure you download the HUB app and get the "texting" feature so you can just check up on them. 

If teens are too rowdy at any point the captain will issue a curfew. If your teen in particular gets into trouble, he/she will be issued a curfew.

When I was a teen, we use to hang around the ship till the sun came up. Granted, the next day we would sleep in, miss breakfast, and possibly a hair chest contest or two. But once midday hit, we were energized and back at it again lol.

I loved cruising as a teen.

15 minutes ago, 17andacruiseaddict said:

No curfew. You can have check in times scheduled with your kid. Or even better, make sure you download the HUB app and get the "texting" feature so you can just check up on them. 

If teens are too rowdy at any point the captain will issue a curfew. If your teen in particular gets into trouble, he/she will be issued a curfew.

When I was a teen, we use to hang around the ship till the sun came up. Granted, the next day we would sleep in, miss breakfast, and possibly a hair chest contest or two. But once midday hit, we were energized and back at it again lol.

I loved cruising as a teen.

My daughter has cruised her whole life and this is your last year in teen club as she is 17. Most ships we have sailed on have a 1 am curfew. That works great. No argument no discussion needed. She has always headed back to the cabin around 1  since everyone else goes back to their cabins. 

Generally dinner is mandatory with the family, lunch or some mid afternoon check in is also required but beyond that we let her do as she pleases. Its her vacation too. We always get the messaging app for the whole family. I also have a 15 yo but he is not into the evening parties like his sister. He will do some activities but not many. 

Now we got to talk about when she needs to come back to sleep. :-) I could care less if she sleeps in on sea days only port days really matter that she gets up and is good to go as in more than 6 hours of sleep the night before. 

From your name it looks like you started cruising at 17 or joined this group. How has cruising been since aging out of teen club? As in how to make friends in your 20's 

1 hour ago, Jenjer said:

My daughter has cruised her whole life and this is your last year in teen club as she is 17. Most ships we have sailed on have a 1 am curfew. That works great. No argument no discussion needed. She has always headed back to the cabin around 1  since everyone else goes back to their cabins. 

Generally dinner is mandatory with the family, lunch or some mid afternoon check in is also required but beyond that we let her do as she pleases. Its her vacation too. We always get the messaging app for the whole family. I also have a 15 yo but he is not into the evening parties like his sister. He will do some activities but not many. 

Now we got to talk about when she needs to come back to sleep. 🙂 I could care less if she sleeps in on sea days only port days really matter that she gets up and is good to go as in more than 6 hours of sleep the night before. 

From your name it looks like you started cruising at 17 or joined this group. How has cruising been since aging out of teen club? As in how to make friends in your 20's 

I started cruising at the age of 6. 17 is when I made this account. So the kid's clubs and teen club have given me great cruise memories. At the age of 18-early 20s it definitely changed. Friends my age weren't automatically put in front of me. I hung out at the club the 1st night. Surprisingly that's how I met people around my age and made friends. People around the same age seem to gravitate towards each other.  But my advice (even for younger cruisers), is, be willing to put yourselves out there and meet new people and have a good time. I would've been a loner if I wasn't willing to talk to people, go to the club alone, join a dance circle, etc.

When I got to my mid 20s and upper 20s, I started cruising with my boyfriend (now husband :). Completely different aspect of cruising. But still wonderful in its own way. I like having a best friend already with me who likes to do the same things I do.

I have found most teens who are out late on the boat to be very polite and respectful to other passengers.  So to me a curfew likely is not a necessity as they know how to behave.    It is the younger childen (9-13?) that on certain cruises I have found to quite an annoyance when they are left unattended by their parents.  They run around the boat, play tag on the elevator and stairs, etc.

When our daughter was younger (high school) we'd tell her what time to be in the room. One night she called the cabin phone using a 'public' phone somewhere on board. There was a pizza party at the back organized by O2 and could she stay? She came straight to the cabin afterwards. We don't use our phones on the ship, but this was also before the Hub app. We always had a check in time and mandatory dressed & ready for dinner by 6:00. She was allowed to stay out later on the ship than she was at home.

I will parent.

There will be a curfew early than any ship curfew.

This is a family vacation...yes I will turn them loose at times but there are family times and those outnumber and outweigh "friend" time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RRLLAL said:

I wish they had a curfew for those over 60. (Like me). 

I do as well.  I wish over 40 had to get to bed by 9 😄

(and up by 5 am 😄 : 😧 D)

2 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Well ... since this is a Carnival board, I'm certain that @Cruiseman38 was referring to Carnival ships, specifically.

Luckily the information is relevant to anyone interested in reserving a cruise who might consider this to be an important factor.

Edited by xDisconnections

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

I do not remember a curfew . both teens used the O2 club. 

again, the ship is safe. 

Not quite. The truth is, there are several thousand people onboard each with different intentions and it’s like a small city. It’s not uncommon for assaults, murders, rapes, thefts and other criminal activities to occur. For some reason, people seem to forget about being mindful of their surroundings when traveling to places such as Disney World or cruise ships where the presence of security theater is giving the guests a false perception of a completely safe environment.

Nearly every single cruise, someone is being arrested for an outstanding warrant as soon as the ship returns to its port of disembarkation in the US. We may never know what that warrant was issued for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Not quite. The truth is, there are several thousand people onboard each with different intentions and it’s like a small city. It’s not uncommon for assaults, murders, rapes, thefts and other criminal activities to occur. For some reason, people seem to forget about being mindful of their surroundings when traveling to places such as Disney World or cruise ships where the presence of security theater is giving the guests a false perception of a completely safe environment.

Nearly every single cruise, someone is being arrested for an outstanding warrant as soon as the ship returns to its port of disembarkation in the US. We may never know what that warrant was issued for.

When our girls were on their first cruise, we let them stay later at a dance club. They were 16 and 14. A man tried to entice them to come out of the club and walk around with him. They refused but he waited with another man and followed them when they left the club. They were scared and went outside on the deck which was empty. They were lost and very scared. They kept running until they found an area with people around. A Carnival security person walked them back to our cabin.

I would never let my children walk around alone on any ship. I am very thankful that they were not raped or hurt in any way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 17andacruiseaddict said:

I started cruising at the age of 6. 17 is when I made this account. So the kid's clubs and teen club have given me great cruise memories. At the age of 18-early 20s it definitely changed. Friends my age weren't automatically put in front of me. I hung out at the club the 1st night. Surprisingly that's how I met people around my age and made friends. People around the same age seem to gravitate towards each other.  But my advice (even for younger cruisers), is, be willing to put yourselves out there and meet new people and have a good time. I would've been a loner if I wasn't willing to talk to people, go to the club alone, join a dance circle, etc.

When I got to my mid 20s and upper 20s, I started cruising with my boyfriend (now husband :). Completely different aspect of cruising. But still wonderful in its own way. I like having a best friend already with me who likes to do the same things I do.

Zoe started cruising at 6 too, this is our first Carnival cruise. She always makes a large group of friends on the first night. She is her own cruise director. Its good to know the standard, go out the first night to meet people holds true even after the graduate from teen club.  She is kind of freaked about cruising at 18 and beyond.    My son 15, started cruising at 4 has never been as social as his sister.   We make her take him the first night but he just never seems to want to find  friends, he prefers to just fade into the background.    Since he is sharing a room with his grandpa maybe this year he would rather find people to hang out with :-)

beacha that is a very scary story and I am sorry that happened to your daughters. I do agree that a cruise ship is a small city and that comes with good and bad people.  

Royal, NCL and Disney all have curfews. Teens stay our after the curfews and as long as they are not doing anything or being  bothersome security could care less. I am long asleep but at least on Royal ships they usually hang out in the pizza place after 10 or 12, have even had the cruise directors sit and talk with them. Its has happened so many times Zoe thinks that all teens must do the same thing and the CD's come to get the teens advice on how the activities are for them. I feel sorry for the CDs because they don't expect the engineer side to come out of the pretty blonde girl. They expect to hear generic answers.