Pre-purchase drink package, coffee package, etc or wait?

SETexaslady

We'll have about $300 in purchased OBC for this upcoming cruise (gift from friend).  I know the only thing I can prepurchase and use OBC prior to cruise are the excursions.  I also know that if the OBC isn't used (purchased credit, not promo credits) then that amount will be refunded to my card when the cruise is over.  I'm curious... is it less expensive to prepurchase the unlimited drink package & coffee package, MedallionNet (offering the net for $59.99 for Island now), or would it be the same if I purchased on board using my credits?  If it tends to be the same, then I'll probably go ahead and prepurchase. Also, is it more convenient to pre-purchase than having to deal with it after we board? Is it something that can be ordered over the phone on board or would one have to go stand in line somewhere to order it?    

38 minutes ago, SETexaslady said:

We'll have about $300 in purchased OBC for this upcoming cruise (gift from friend).  I know the only thing I can prepurchase and use OBC prior to cruise are the excursions.  I also know that if the OBC isn't used (purchased credit, not promo credits) then that amount will be refunded to my card when the cruise is over.  I'm curious... is it less expensive to prepurchase the unlimited drink package & coffee package, MedallionNet (offering the net for $59.99 for Island now), or would it be the same if I purchased on board using my credits?  If it tends to be the same, then I'll probably go ahead and prepurchase. Also, is it more convenient to pre-purchase than having to deal with it after we board? Is it something that can be ordered over the phone on board or would one have to go stand in line somewhere to order it?    

Same price pre-purchased or on board. When on board it must be purchased on boarding day only. It is not sold after boarding day. Also note the actual cost is US$70.79/day ($59.99 +18% gratuity). Advantage of pre-purchase is that the package is already loaded on your cruise card/medallion when you board. On board you will have to go to one of the tables that are set up around the ship selling beverage packages. No lines.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

So ---  to buy the coffee card on board I don't go to the International cafe but I go to a table when I board where hopefully there are no lines. I got internet prepaid and I see that I can't prepay gratuities using OBC. I did use OBC for excursions. I think I got this figured out. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, cadreamer said:

So ---  to buy the coffee card on board I don't go to the International cafe but I go to a table when I board where hopefully there are no lines.

You can buy the "coffee card" at the International Cafe.

I just purchased the PBP.  I read you can only order one drink at a time. I get that with a specific type of beverage but sometimes I may want a coffee with an after drink. Or sparkling water along with wine.  I probably won’t use the 15 max alcohol per day (?) but enough to make the package worthwhile.  Just wondering about the other beverages I like. Basically coffee and sparking water. 

13 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

I just purchased the PBP.  I read you can only order one drink at a time. I get that with a specific type of beverage but sometimes I may want a coffee with an after drink. Or sparkling water along with wine.  I probably won’t use the 15 max alcohol per day (?) but enough to make the package worthwhile.  Just wondering about the other beverages I like. Basically coffee and sparking water. 

No limits on non-alcoholic drinks. You can get a glass of sparkling water with wine.

Brewed coffee from the International Cafe and espresso drinks are one at a time, but there is no daily limit. If you want a coffee with a shot of whiskey that would be counted as one of the 15 alcoholic drinks.

Thank you all for the replies and great info (coffee with shot of whiskey  will have to try that!).  I have another quick question:

My DH only drinks tea (brings his own) and likes to make his own Oatmeal.  Will he be able to get plain hot water or will he be charged for that? 

Your only savings would be if the price increases. For example the daily tip amount goes up in about a week. It is only a dollar a day more but if you prepay you save. $300 in onboard credit is not much when you remove the tips.

1 hour ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Thank you all for the replies and great info (coffee with shot of whiskey  will have to try that!).  I have another quick question:

My DH only drinks tea (brings his own) and likes to make his own Oatmeal.  Will he be able to get plain hot water or will he be charged for that? 

Ask room service for a carafe of hot water each morning.   I bring my own coffee beans (yes, yes, I know ... it's an obsession) and make coffee each morning.   They bring the hot water without any muss or fuss.

• Like 1