Most of Florence closed on Mondays?

holdon216

I read a comment yesterday about avoiding going to Florence on a Monday. As many things are closed on Mondays. Go figure, next spring our port day in Florence is a Monday,

7am-7pm. As i am in the very early stages of planning what should i expect to find closed? And what should be open?

13 minutes ago, holdon216 said:

I read a comment yesterday about avoiding going to Florence on a Monday. As many things are closed on Mondays. Go figure, next spring our port day in Florence is a Monday,

7am-7pm. As i am in the very early stages of planning what should i expect to find closed? And what should be open?

There is still much to see in Florence on a Monday. The Uffizi, Accademia & Pitti Palace are closed on Monday but there is still much to visit. The Orsanmichele museum is ONLY open on Monday. Also open: Santa Maria Novella (church, bell tower, cupola, museum & baptistery), Medici Chapels (definitely worth a visit), Palazzo Vecchio, Bargello Museum, Santa Croce, & Boboli Gardens. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Thanks 1

In addition, the various areas of Florence's Duomo are also open -- the church, bell tower, baptistery (one of my favorite buildings in Florence), and crypt.

The Opera del Duomo museum is not about opera -- ("Opera" just means "works" in Italian...lol)  It's where you can see the originals of the famous bronze doors from the Duomo Baptistery. It is open on Mondays.

And also the Bargello Museum, which has some great sculptures.

Many people are not happy about not being able to get into the Accademia and see the "David"; however, you can see a copy of it in its original outdoor location at  Piazza della Signoria (Duomo Square).  No, it doesn't have the same artistic impact, but seeing it in context is very interesting.

I agree the Medici Chapels are worth visiting, and I also have enjoyed visits to the Palazzo Vecchio.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In addition, the various areas of Florence's Duomo are also open -- the church, bell tower, baptistery (one of my favorite buildings in Florence), and crypt.

Yes!! The Duomo (Santa Maria del Fiore) is open on Monday & the baptistery (right across from the Duomo) is absolutely stunning! The baptistery doors are copies of Ghiberti's "Gates of Paradise" - the original doors can be found in the Opera museum mentioned by Cruisemom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The Opera del Duomo museum is not about opera -- ("Opera" just means "works" in Italian...lol)  It's where you can see the originals of the famous bronze doors from the Duomo Baptistery. It is open on Mondays.

It always amazes me how throngs of people will jostle and struggle to see the doors on the Baptistry (replicas) while just steps away you can gaze for as long as you want at the original doors in air conditioned comfort with no one else (or very few others) around.

7 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It always amazes me how throngs of people will jostle and struggle to see the doors on the Baptistry (replicas) while just steps away you can gaze for as long as you want at the original doors in air conditioned comfort with no one else (or very few others) around.

I always wonder how many actually realize that the doors are replicas - would wager that most don't have a clue.

Many probably don't know, but they are still seeing something beautiful and amazing.

I think of this as I do the patter of the car service drivers.  The doors are not original but they are still works of art and the stuff drivers tell their passengers may not be exactly true or correct, but they are entertained and safely transported, so presumably in both cases people got what they came for.