Uber to ship in Amsterdam?

DoggyDaddy

We will be flying to Amsterdam to join the Princedam for a cruise to Norway next week. We will be staying at a hotel very near the cruise docks. Does anyone know if we can use Uber from the airport to the hotel? I know the train is easy but we have our bags to shlep and we are not as young and agile as we used to be. Also, is it reasonable to use Uber for a very short ride (from the DoubleTree near Central Station) to the cruise terminal. If I had thought about it, I may have picked another hotel. 

I have ave never used Uber so it may be an adventure. 

Doggy Daddy

A quick Google search came up with the following:  

Uber in Amsterdam. Uber, the international taxi app service (uber.com) is available for rides inAmsterdam. It comes as either UberBlack (original service with VIP taxi sedans), UberVan (larger minivans available) or uberX (lower cost version).

There are several countries where Uber / Lyft are banned ... luckily, Amsterdam is not one of them.  

We were in Amsterdam a few years ago (loved that city, wow!), stayed in Museum district, so did a test run the day before on the tram from hotel to the ship/dock.  Not a problem with no bags, but so glad we took a shared cab to the ship.  Would have been an issue of lugging the bags on the tram and the good two hundred yards to the front doors of the Movenpick passenger terminal.  Take the Uber.

Mark

Boy, your hotel is really close - but I hear what you're saying about schlepping your luggage. We were just there last summer and walked in about 10 minutes from where your hotel is to our hotel (Mövenpick) several times prior to our cruise - but no luggage.  To take the train to the ship you'd have to go back to Central Station and then go 1 stop. The walk back to the station would be about as long as the walk to the ship.

Edited by grsnovi

We’re in the same boat (literally and figuratively) as the OP, but in a different hotel.

I tried “walking” the route from hotel to dock on google earth and it looked like there were a lot of closed sidewalks and industry. We’re at Monet Gardens, so about equidistant to Centraal Station and the dock.

Is the Uber app the same one we use in the US? Anyone done Uber?

OP: somewhere in my notes I have a shuttle service. I’ll post when I next work on our trip.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

We fly into AMS in a few weeks and my research included the following result:

Uber is great and easy in Amsterdam. There is a flat fee from the airport to the center which is the same as a taxi, Within the city UberBlack is a bit cheaper than a taxi and UberPop is half price.

For the rest of the webpage from which the above was taken: https://www.quora.com/Would-you-recommend-Uber-in-Amsterdam

Uber cannot pickup at the regular taxistands at the Amsterdam airport. The driver will tell you where to go through the app, which might be at some distance from the arrival hall.

Yes you can use the Uber app, it works in many other countries too.

You can of course take a regular cab (check the official place where cabs are waiting, donot take the ones that are offered inside the terminal!). Another option might be the hotelshuttle https://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/nl

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We fly into AMS in a few weeks and my research included the following result:

Uber is great and easy in Amsterdam. There is a flat fee from the airport to the center which is the same as a taxi, Within the city UberBlack is a bit cheaper than a taxi and UberPop is half price.

For the rest of the webpage from which the above was taken: https://www.quora.com/Would-you-recommend-Uber-in-Amsterdam

That website isnot realy up to date, as e.g. Tinker doesnot exists anymore in Amsterdam. They went bankrupt.  So check that information again. The website is from 2016 !

Edited by Ine
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ine said:

That website isnot realy up to date, as e.g. Tinker doesnot exists anymore in Amsterdam. They went bankrupt.  So check that information again. The website is from 2016 !

Thanks for the update!

The one piece of information I was most interested in was the statement that there is a flat fee from Schiphol to the centre of the city and that it was the same for taxi and Uber. Can you tell us if this is still accurate? 

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the update!

The one piece of information I was most interested in was the statement that there is a flat fee from Schiphol to the centre of the city and that it was the same for taxi and Uber. Can you tell us if this is still accurate? 

The only one I know with a fixed rate is TCA Taxicentrale Amsterdam: https://www.tcataxi.nl/en/home.html

But then I hardly use a taxi to or from the airport since we drive our car or friends bring us.

Thanks for all the information.

If the rates are the same (taxi vs Uber), it is probably more convenient to use a taxi from the airport to the hotel.  Does anyone know the approximate current fare to the hotels around Central Station (Doubletree)? I assume that the taxis all use Credit Cards - is this true? Also, what is the norm for tipping taxis in the Netherlands?

Doggy Daddy

Amsterdam Centraal station to the  Amsterdam cruise terminal on the Piet Heinkade is literally a 15 min walk however, be aware that there is an incline leading to, and over, the bridge that spans the Oosterdoksdoorgang (East Dock passage) canal so, yes, there is some "schlepping" of luggage involved. I would do a marked taxi

Map of Amsterdam cruise terminal

12 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Thanks for all the information.

If the rates are the same (taxi vs Uber), it is probably more convenient to use a taxi from the airport to the hotel.  Does anyone know the approximate current fare to the hotels around Central Station (Doubletree)? I assume that the taxis all use Credit Cards - is this true? Also, what is the norm for tipping taxis in the Netherlands?

Doggy Daddy

You can use the TCA link I posted in one of the other postings to check taxi rates. Certified cabs indeed accept creditcards. Be aware some non certified cabdrivers offfer their service inside the terminal, donot accept that offer. Certified cabs are outside at the airport at a well marked place.  Tipping taxis of course depends on how far the ride and on their servicde with luggage.  A few euros in general is enough.

We have just returned from Amsterdam following a cruise on Nieuw Statendam. At the airport we decided against Uber since there is no official pick up or drop off point, and from experience at other airports, may have ended up walking a very long way. So we opted for a taxi and went to the official taxi stand, being coordinated by an airport employee.

I had read of possible flat rates, but they don’t exist, it’s metered, and our trip for 2 people with 2 cases and 2 pieces hand luggage, to the Mövenpick hotel, was an astonishing €93 euro! Thankfully we were able to pay with a credit card.

The return journey from the passenger terminal to Schiphol, there were signs inside the terminal indicating an estimate of €55, but in reality it was €73.

It wasn’t busy on the roads, the driver didn’t go through the city and the journey was 20 minutes, and it was €73.

Uber was giving estimates of €50-€70.

A taxi or car transfer is far more convenient than train for us so it was worth it, if not cheap.

Flat rates for transportation from home (or hotel??) address to Schiphol and back are offered by. https://www.schipholtraveltaxi.nl/en/   Next time you could ask them whether they also transport from Schiphol to a hotel (and back if necessary). Asking is free.  

Last year from the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam to a village near Schiphol we paid a (metered!) taxi € 50,= (4 adults, 2 children, 5 suitcases, 4 trolleys plus hand luggage…..). We just waited in the row in front of the PTA.