Onboard ROTS - Need help with tips- bad internet

This is the last day of the TA. We have not eaten in the MDR but once in 14 days.  We want to be fair to the Windjammer staff, so for the first time ever, we are cancelling the autogratuities and distributing money manually.  Somewhere I saw the formula that RC uses to divide our $14.50 pp per day into 3 buckets: cabin steward, MDR team, and "other".  Can someone give me those numbers? I need them on a per person per day basis.

@Host Clarea perhaps you can help?  Your answers are succinct, and I don't want to start a tipping thread.  I just need numbers, and need them quickly.

5 minutes ago, grinningimm said:

This is the last day of the TA. We have not eaten in the MDR but once in 14 days.  We want to be fair to the Windjammer staff, so for the first time ever, we are cancelling the autogratuities and distributing money manually.  Somewhere I saw the formula that RC uses to divide our $14.50 pp per day into 3 buckets: cabin steward, MDR team, and "other".  Can someone give me those numbers? I need them on a per person per day basis.

@Host Clarea perhaps you can help?  Your answers are succinct, and I don't want to start a tipping thread.  I just need numbers, and need them quickly.

That staff works everywhere on the ship. By keeping auto gratuities in place you are tipping fairly

• Like 2

If you want to show more love then tip more, don’t steal from Peter to pay Paul. When someone goes to your work and maybe you are away, so they deduct from your pay and give extra to others because they dealt with the client?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TampaGambler said:

If you want to show more love then tip more, don’t steal from Peter to pay Paul. When someone goes to your work and maybe you are away, so they deduct from your pay and give extra to others because they dealt with the client?

Best explanation of how removing auto gratuity impacts entire staff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TampaGambler said:

Many hourly jobs work that way.   

If you don’t work you don’t get paid. 

The ones that work more hours to cover for you get the extra pay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, another smart cruiser that wants to be in control of his money 

But, to be real about it, it's not his/her money in the end.... it is earmarked for the employees on the ship.  Instead of just keeping the auto-grats in place, the OP wants to fiddle with the system and make it more difficult for the employees to get the pay that is allocated to them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Many hourly jobs work that way.   

If you don’t work you don’t get paid. 

The ones that work more hours to cover for you get the extra pay. 

When I go to a restaurant, I don't order coffee.  Does this mean that the person who made the coffee that day doesn't get paid?  

If I go to McDonald's and don't order fries, does that mean that the person assigned to work the fryer doesn't get paid that day? 

When I get gasoline for my car, I pay at the pump and rarely ever go in the store to buy something additional.  Does that mean that the cashier shouldn't get their regular hourly pay because they didn't have to wait on me?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But, to be real about it, it's not his/her money in the end.... it is earmarked for the employees on the ship.  Instead of just keeping the auto-grats in place, the OP wants to fiddle with the system and make it more difficult for the employees to get the pay that is allocated to them.

No, it’s ALWAYS your money, pay allocated to employees comes from their employers. Gratuities are above and beyond. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

When I go to a restaurant, I don't order coffee.  Does this mean that the person who made the coffee that day doesn't get paid?  

If I go to McDonald's and don't order fries, does that mean that the person assigned to work the fryer doesn't get paid that day? 

When I get gasoline for my car, I pay at the pump and rarely ever go in the store to buy something additional.  Does that mean that the cashier shouldn't get their regular hourly pay because they didn't have to wait on me?

Everyone on the ship is still getting their “contracted” salary; the salary they agreed to work for. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, it’s ALWAYS your money, pay allocated to employees comes from their employers. Gratuities are above and beyond. 

You know that the gratuities are to be included as part of the cost of the cruise -- you're just being a cheapskate if you pretend they're not.  

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, brillohead said:

These are different scenarios because they are not positions that are tipped.

A server is assigned guests to their table and if you don't show up, they don't have the option of getting new guests that will tip in your place.   Therefore, you are taking money from their pockets by not tipping.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VCR said:

A server is assigned guests to their table and if you don't show up, they don't have the option of getting new guests that will tip in your place.   Therefore, you are taking money from their pockets by not tipping.

THIS! 

That waiter and asst waiter don't have the option of seating people at that table. Now they are getting totally stiffed. it would almost be different if they could seat people in their place. almost ok...

removing tips is so wrong on so many levels. I cant stand that so many people do this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I don't think  anyone you listed works for tips, the crew gets a small wage that is low because they are in a tip pool.  And to the OP, when you remove auto tips the crew members must turn the tips into the pool. they are only allowed to keep cash tips when auto tips are left in place.  You are really screwing over a lot of the crew when you pay tips only to those you deem worthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VCR said:

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

I don't think  anyone you listed works for tips, the crew gets a small wage that is low because they are in a tip pool.  And to the OP, when you remove auto tips the crew members must turn the tips into the pool. they are only allowed to keep cash tips when auto tips are left in place.  You are really screwing over a lot of the crew when you pay tips only to those you deem worthy. 

My comment was regarding the people saying that if you don't work, you don't get paid, and the people who pick up your slack get paid more.

There are lots of situations where people don't do work but they are AT work and AVAILABLE to work if the work needs to be done, and therefore deserve to be paid for being there.  

The OP should not be penalizing their assigned MDR waitstaff just because they chose not to eat in the MDR, just like the person who made the coffee or fries shouldn't be penalized because I didn't order coffee or fries.  

• Like 1

If you are in the MTD not the fixed dining room they can have other people take your place.  That said I tip extra for the people that do a better job or work harder.  If the cruise line let you allocate extra $$ to an area that would be very helpful.

On my last TA we had some cooler and rainy days the lifeguard was out there no matter what, no one in the pool they were still there.  I Never set foot in the pool myself but it I could have given that staff some extra $$ I would have, same for the WJ staff.

1 hour ago, fredflint said:

If you are in the MTD not the fixed dining room they can have other people take your place.  That said I tip extra for the people that do a better job or work harder.  If the cruise line let you allocate extra $$ to an area that would be very helpful.

On my last TA we had some cooler and rainy days the lifeguard was out there no matter what, no one in the pool they were still there.  I Never set foot in the pool myself but it I could have given that staff some extra $$ I would have, same for the WJ staff.

There was nothing stopping you from handing those people some cash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wrong, I am adhering to the contract I signed with RCI. 

No one is forcing you to tip the staff.   But they would certainly appreciate your tips.   They are part of their salary.