Coral engine troubles

We will be getting into Juneau at 5pm (rather than noon), so some tours have been cancelled, and it looks like we will stay a little later than our previously scheduled departure time, as some of the rescheduled tours won’t be returning to the ship until  10:30pm. I feel bad for the folks that will be missing out on excursions they had been looking forward to, especially for those that are experiencing Alaska for the first time.

5 hours ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

I'm hearing on FB that Coral is having engine troubles and getting into Juneau late.  Might need to spend the night there.  Hope they can get it fixed and it doesn't affect any future sailings.   

2 hours ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Good news!  She's all fixed!

1 hour ago, SLOlady2014 said:

We will be getting into Juneau at 5pm (rather than noon), so some tours have been cancelled, and it looks like we will stay a little later than our previously scheduled departure time, as some of the rescheduled tours won’t be returning to the ship until  10:30pm. I feel bad for the folks that will be missing out on excursions they had been looking forward to, especially for those that are experiencing Alaska for the first time.

As a booked guest on Coral Princess' July 31st cruise from Whittier, I'm rather interested.  Any information as to what the engine issues were?  Certainly glad to know that she is underway.

36 minutes ago, joybook said:

Hope they get the engines fixed before we do the Antarctic in January otherwise things could get really interesting particularly across the Drake Passage.

Given that they were fixed hours ago, your cruise seven months from now should be safe.  

We got off in Vancouver Wednesday and knew something didn't feel right.   The ship was listing to starboard on the third day of the LA to Vancouver run and it was 24 hrs of jiggling that was tough to adjust to, not your usual back and forth rocking movement.  

Nice to get the 70 degree weather in Vancouver though.

1 hour ago, JRG said:

We got off in Vancouver Wednesday and knew something didn't feel right.   The ship was listing to starboard on the third day of the LA to Vancouver run and it was 24 hrs of jiggling that was tough to adjust to, not your usual back and forth rocking movement.  

Nice to get the 70 degree weather in Vancouver though.

I was sitting out on the Baja deck and definitely noticed the listing on Tuesday afternoon.  In fact, when I looked at the wake, the starboard side looked normal while the port side had a very weak wake.  At the Elite lounge that evening, the F&B Manager even made a comment about how the ship was list and he thought they were doing it because of the rocky seas.  Guess he was wrong.   At least the ship got to where it was supposed to go and sounds like it was fixed up.  Happy sailing!

19 hours ago, SLOlady2014 said:

I believe the announcement stated it was a problem with the gas turbine. 

I appreciate knowing this.  I thought the gas turbine engine was an auxiliary engine to the diesel engines.  I thought operating the gas turbine was more costly than the diesels.  Need to do some research here.

20 hours ago, joybook said:

Hope they get the engines fixed before we do the Antarctic in January otherwise things could get really interesting particularly across the Drake Passage.

I sailed the Drake Passage on the Zaandam.  Other than rough seas near Cape Horn and for the next 10-12 hours sailing to Antarctica (and the seas could have been much worse), King Neptune was in a good mood even when we left Antarctic waters and headed to the Falklands.

Enjoy your cruise:  it's a very special one!