Strange Luggage Announcement on Jewel

We were just on Jewel bouncing around the Greek Islands.   Had a terrific time.  No real complaints other than I ate too much and the outside windows could have used a hose down. 

Anyway, a few days into the cruise a written notice was sent to cabins asking that we double check that we had our correct luggage.  Said some guests were still waiting for their luggage or something to that effect.  

Just seems odd that anyone would be in a cabin for a couple of days and not come to realize that the luggage they were tripping over wasn't theirs.  I feel for anyone who went without their luggage but could not help but chuckle that a guest would actually check and come to realize they had someone else's luggage after a few days.    IDK, maybe people steal luggage and hide it in their cabin until disembark day.  

Anyway, first time I've seen this in 30+/- cruises.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We were just on Jewel bouncing around the Greek Islands.   Had a terrific time.  No real complaints other than I ate too much and the outside windows could have used a hose down. 

Anyway, a few days into the cruise a written notice was sent to cabins asking that we double check that we had our correct luggage.  Said some guests were still waiting for their luggage or something to that effect.  

Just seems odd that anyone would be in a cabin for a couple of days and not come to realize that the luggage they were tripping over wasn't theirs.  I feel for anyone who went without their luggage but could not help but chuckle that a guest would actually check and come to realize they had someone else's luggage after a few days.    IDK, maybe people steal luggage and hide it in their cabin until disembark day.  

Anyway, first time I've seen this in 30+/- cruises.  

We got this same notice on Anthem in January along with a detailed description of the two bags that were missing.  One of the bags belonged to someone in our rollcall.  Funny thing, the bag never made the ship.  The bag actually never made it into the person's car, they found it in the hallway at home after the cruise.😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

I can see a mistake on embark day   I just can't understand how anyone could have someone else's luggage in their cabin for multiple days without noticing.  

Anyway,  I guess it must work otherwise the notices wouldn't be that common.     

Years ago, on Celebrity, a friend was missing her luggage.  It was found as passengers were disembarking.  The suitcase was spotted with another passenger who insisted it was hers.  We said, “No, it is not.” and just took the suitcase from the female passenger.  The telltale sign — the pompoms that had been made by one of our group and attached to each suitcase for easy identification!  Unfortunately, there can be  “suitcase thieves” on ships.  Katherine 

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I can see a mistake on embark day   I just can't understand how anyone could have someone else's luggage in their cabin for multiple days without noticing.  

Anyway,  I guess it must work otherwise the notices wouldn't be that common.     

Wouldn’t you notice that the contents of the luggage wasn’t yours once you opened it? Even if it was pretty generic looking on the outside? 

21 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Wouldn’t you notice that the contents of the luggage wasn’t yours once you opened it? Even if it was pretty generic looking on the outside? 

Yes, unless you intend to steal it.  Pretty despicable.

I think it would be pretty easy for a family of 2 or 3 sisters joining up together for a cruise and end up pulling baggage from the hallway into the room, and each one thinking that the strange suitcase belongs to one of the other family members.  In the excitement of boarding day and with thousands of rooms, surely it is possible.

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 3

Yikes! I guess it takes all kinds but, who in their right mind would steal someone else's luggage?? That is just sad & scary!! Good for y'all for taking it anyway! I am assuming she never called for security. If it was truly hers she would have put up a fight. (at least I would have) CRAZY!

I heard one time that a cabin attendant discovered a lost piece of luggage on a balcony.  Cruisers just put it out there out of the way.  This was after a notice had been sent out. 

We normally have a notice about lost luggage once  every 4 or 5 cruises.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dpostman said:

I think it would be pretty easy for a family of 2 or 3 sisters joining up together for a cruise and end up pulling baggage from the hallway into the room, and each one thinking that the strange suitcase belongs to one of the other family members.  In the excitement of boarding day and with thousands of rooms, surely it is possible.

dp

yeah, that makes sense, especially on embark day.  But I think someone would notice fairly quickly.   And the notice we received was at least two days into the cruise.    

Like Legaljen says, I think I would notice the clothes weren't mine!   

Sounds like this is more routine than I thought.  Still think it is a strange process but if it results in someone getting their lost luggage then it is a good thing.   

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Years ago, on Celebrity, a friend was missing her luggage.  It was found as passengers were disembarking.  The suitcase was spotted with another passenger who insisted it was hers.  We said, “No, it is not.” and just took the suitcase from the female passenger.  The telltale sign — the pompoms that had been made by one of our group and attached to each suitcase for easy identification!  Unfortunately, there can be  “suitcase thieves” on ships.  Katherine 

Wow, that is incredible.  Because the person apparently didn't object too much,  they clearly knew it wasn't theirs.   

I can see mistakes with look-alike luggage from airport carousels or terminal baggage claim areas.  But to keep someone else's bag in your cabin for multiple days still just doesn't compute.   

We've gotten notices like that a couple of times.  Apparently some people just don't care to be helpful and won't let anyone know they have luggage that isn't theirs. Then, there's the out and out thieves who plan to take it home and keep the bag.  And, obviously there are some bags that just never make it onboard.  

2 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Wouldn’t you notice that the contents of the luggage wasn’t yours once you opened it? Even if it was pretty generic looking on the outside

Last cruise was at the end of a month long trip to three countries in cold climates. We put the woolies in one suitcase before leaving the last of these countries and never opened it again until arriving home.

12 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

Am I the only one who locks their cases?

You are not, but then it´s very very easy to get into locked luggage, most time even without anyone knowing you got in there.

As for the OP´s Question, I´ve gotten These Messages on some Cruises as well, not uncommon.

Not surprising. We've found our "lost" luggage on a different deck than our cabin, at the opposite end of the corridor from our cabin, on the right deck but the wrong side of the ship, etc. We've also walked down the corridors for several days into a cruise and seen luggage still sitting outside of a cabin door.

Believe it or not. we got some very nice luggage at an indoor flea market, (our old ones lasted 10 years from there.) Down a few isles was a man that did the kind of painting on t- shirts,cars. Had him paint a 3 by 6  picture of a rose with my first name on mine and a top hat with my husbands name  on his. Can't think how anyone could explain that it was theirs unless outright stealing. Also keep a picture of them on my phone .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fantasticfran said:

Believe it or not. we got some very nice luggage at an indoor flea market, (our old ones lasted 10 years from there.) Down a few isles was a man that did the kind of painting on t- shirts,cars. Had him paint a 3 by 6  picture of a rose with my first name on mine and a top hat with my husbands name  on his. Can't think how anyone could explain that it was theirs unless outright stealing. Also keep a picture of them on my phone .

I always take a picture of our luggage before we leave home.  Never know if you will have to identify what your luggage looks like.

On Symphony 2 weeks ago our luggage was sitting at least 15 cabins away from ours. Thankfully we were walking from the aft elevators and spotted them because we usually use the forward elevators and there we never would have seen them.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, reallyitsmema said:

We got this same notice on Anthem in January along with a detailed description of the two bags that were missing.  One of the bags belonged to someone in our rollcall.  Funny thing, the bag never made the ship.  The bag actually never made it into the person's car, they found it in the hallway at home after the cruise.😄

I got one even better. 2007 Hawaiian circle cruise on the Serenade. Outside waiting to board we were watching luggage go up a conveyer belt into the ship, and kurplunk, a piece falls off into San Diego harbor water. 15 day cruise. WE all in unison shouted, “nooooooo”.