DIY Ephesus and terrace houses- How to?

dkata

All the tour companies we've seen offer Ephesus tours, but don't allow much time (if any)  to visit the Terrace Houses, while you are there.

That's what we want to see and we could see ourselves spending an hour or so, just at the Terrace Houses, and 2 hours at the Ephesus site.

Most of the tours rush you through Ephesus and that's not what we want.

We don't care about the house of the Virgin Mary or Sirince or the other religious sites (we are not religious, those places have no special significance to us) and we do not want to visit any carpet or leather factories.

So I am looking into the details of doing our selves.

We either take a taxi or the bus from the cruise port to the top entrance of Ephesus. Rent our audio guides

Walk down through Ephesus, visit the Terrace Houses, and then then at the lower end, return the audio guides and figure out how to get back to the cruise port.

Who has done this? And how would we do this on our own? Any shuttle companies you recommend? How much would it cost to go by taxi?

I looked into it a couple years ago but ended up going with a private tour guide and driver. Was very glad I did because our guide was amazing.  She was a licensed tour guide.  her professor was working on the excavations at the terrace houses and he spent some time with us too. We were able to arrive prior to the crowds and spent most of our time at Ephesus and terrace houses.  Sorry I don’t remember which company I used.  It was one of the main ones on trip advisor and the least expensive option for private. Was about the same price for three of us private vs shared group.  I specifically asked for no carpet demo which they obliged.  In the end one of my daughters said she would like to see the carpet factory in Seluk (sp?).  I had envisioned some sort of aggressive time share sales presentation but it was actually no hard sales, really educational, fun and way less stressful than walking through the market at port where the shop keepers were pretty aggressive. Having our guide with us was a great addition to the day and I’d rate the day as one of the best shore excursions I’ve ever taken. 

Adding: the company I used had a website that touted giving someone famous a tour. I think it was Tom Hanks.  Our guide was Gizem Etu?  

Edited by littlelulu01

Good advice from littlelulu01!   We used a taxi from the cruiseterminal in Kusadasi to Ephese. The driver waited for us to finish the tour of Ephese (and the appartments of course!) till we finished and drove us back to the terminal in time.  30 minutes trip. In 2015 we paid hin US$ 50 upon return in Kusadasi (4 adults in the taxi) as agreed beforehand. Half a day is sufficient for the visit.  In understand that lots of passengers visit the shops in Kusadasi (clothing, leather coats, tapestries) 🙂 😉  We reserved about 10 days before arrival.  

Kimden: kusadasitaxiport.com       Kime: yucelbor@hotmail.com;