Top Tips for Regent First Time Cruisers

czardas

Ah yes. I took 'no lanyard' to mean no need to carry the card with you.  Especially when you said you only need it to leave or board.  Yes I always carry mine in a small purse while on board.  Even still I have lost my key several times IN MY ROOM!

The Viking staff had me on speed dial for making a new key.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:48 AM, birthdaygal said:

Going on Explorer in January, Regent first timers, wondering if there is a quiet room with chaise lounges to read.  On Celebrity they have the room near the Spa where you can read your Kindle while looking out at the ocean in air conditioning and I am looking for where we can do similar on Regent.  Am booked in Concierge Suite if that makes any difference at all.  I know balcony depends upon the sun and the temps.  I know usually there are library areas but wondering if somewhere with the chaises in the AC with a view and pretty music playing.....Thanks and am sure enjoying reading the thread here.  Did I mention I was thinking of wearing a feather, rhinestone encrusted lanyard while reading????

I don't know the answer to your question, but bumping so someone else who has been on the Explorer will see it.  I did want to say that I like your style! 😉

• Like 1

For us a lanyard would get in the way, plus it looks like you're at a convention. You just don't use it to get in your room, getting on/off the ship and to buy something at the gift shop or spa.  It's easier to keep in your pocket or small hand bag.  But you should do what works for you.

On board cruise ships and snorkelling holidays are the only two sorts of locations that I don't carry a handbag (or purse). I get my husband to carry my keycard as I usually don't have any pockets in which to put the keycard or the holder else I have to carry it around in my hand - and then leave it somewhere! 

We discovered on our last cruise on Voyager that there is a very nice corner of the pool bar.t There are flasks of consommé plus all the additions including some nice sherry. 

My husband and I are on a 22 night cruise to Zealand, Australia and Bali in January. We are able to make reservations for the speciality restaurants in October. Do you have any recommendations for times, etc. We are on Voyager and in a Penthouse Suite. First time on Regent. I know there is a Captains Welcome Abroad, but when is it and what time? Any other events I should know about? We are longtime Celebrity cruisers so any help that you can give us would be appreciated. I already booked excursions and have flights.

48 minutes ago, PSU said:

My husband and I are on a 22 night cruise to Zealand, Australia and Bali in January. We are able to make reservations for the speciality restaurants in October. Do you have any recommendations for times, etc. We are on Voyager and in a Penthouse Suite. First time on Regent. I know there is a Captains Welcome Abroad, but when is it and what time? Any other events I should know about? We are longtime Celebrity cruisers so any help that you can give us would be appreciated. I already booked excursions and have flights.

I suggest you make your reservations early in the cruise, so that if you want to return later, you are able to book another night.  Getting reservations at an early hour is easier if you are willing to share a table.  Great way to meet people!

59 minutes ago, PSU said:

I know there is a Captains Welcome Abroad, but when is it and what time? 

In our experience (2 Regent cruises so far, 2 more booked), it has been the second night of the cruise.  I can't recall the time, 6:30 or 7:00pm???  I'm sure someone here will be able to confirm.

1 hour ago, PSU said:

I agree that the Captain's Welcome is usually the second night, after everyone is settled and unpacked.  Usually about 6 p.m., as I recall.  There's also a farewell part on the next-to-last night.

Oh, and the muster drill, which is usually around 5 or so on embarkation day.

We often book a specialty restaurant for the first night, since it's a rather chaotic day, and the restaurants are quieter.

• Thanks 1

If the ship overnights in port on the day of embarkation, the Captain's Reception is on the 3rd night.  The same thing applies to the end of the cruise - it is held one day earlier if the ship overnights at the end of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PSU said:

PSU, (as in,  We Are Penn State?) I agree with the suggestion that you start out by making reservations for early in the cruise. This allows you to find out which ones you like the best so that you may be able to book another date for later in the week. We had no trouble doing this. Sharing a table is highly recommended. Enjoy!

• Like 1

My wife and I will be on our first Regent cruise, on board Explorer on its Feb. 21, 2020 10-day Miami round trip to the Caribbean.  Previously, we have only been on main stream lines, most recently Celebrity (Aqua Class) and are eagerly awaiting to be pampered on Regent.  I have learned much about Regent (no lanyard for me this time) and want to thank the posters.  Now the questions:

1.  We have signed up for two (2) Culinary Arts Kitchen classes.  Not that it matters too much, but how long do the classes usually last?

2.  Our first Culinary Arts class is on the first Sunday at 10am, which is a sea day.  The last full day of the cruise is also a Sunday sea day.  Will the Sunday brunch likely be on the first Sunday?  If so, will my class cause me to miss it?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, JerryAM said:

My wife and I will be on our first Regent cruise, on board Explorer on its Feb. 21, 2020 10-day Miami round trip to the Caribbean.  Previously, we have only been on main stream lines, most recently Celebrity (Aqua Class) and are eagerly awaiting to be pampered on Regent.  I have learned much about Regent (no lanyard for me this time) and want to thank the posters.  Now the questions:

1.  We have signed up for two (2) Culinary Arts Kitchen classes.  Not that it matters too much, but how long do the classes usually last?

2.  Our first Culinary Arts class is on the first Sunday at 10am, which is a sea day.  The last full day of the cruise is also a Sunday sea day.  Will the Sunday brunch likely be on the first Sunday?  If so, will my class cause me to miss it?

Thanks.

My guess is that the brunch will be on the first Sunday.  The brunch takes place from 10 AM to 2 PM so you can go to the brunch after your class which will run about 90 minutes to 2 hours. Hope this helps. 

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

As a reminder, the "lanyard thing" started last year when someone wanted to buy something (not expensive) for their friend that was taking their first Regent cruise.  My response was that they are not generally worn on Regent.  I didn't want her to buy something that her friend might not use.  

No one thinks about lanyards until the topic is brought up.  I, for one, would never say anything to a passenger wearing a lanyard.  On a Silversea cruise, someone in our group wore a lanyard the whole time and seemed fine with it (it was her first luxury cruise).

On 5/24/2019 at 1:43 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Once you have sailed on Regent you will likely understand my comments a bit more.  Keep in mind that this thread is asking questions of people that have sailed Regent and we are responding in the most honest way possible.  It may not be what someone wants to hear but this is our experience over the past 15 years sailing with Regent.

When people have celebrations all of the time on Regent and they are done quietly and sedately and generally in one's suite where your butler or stewardess may have decorated your suite for the occasion.  

There are times and places on the ships that you can laugh, be loud and have a good time (thinking of the Country Fair that is held onboard some cruises as well as the games that are played on the ship on sea days).

I was just reading through these topics to see what Regent would be like and it seems quite stuffy and pretentious. To think that there are times and places that you can laugh and have a good time seems draconian to me. Surely one should be able to laugh and have a good time anywhere on the ship at any given time. I think we will give it a miss. Thanks for painting the picture it is quite useful to know the vibe of Regent.

1 hour ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

I was just reading through these topics to see what Regent would be like and it seems quite stuffy and pretentious. To think that there are times and places that you can laugh and have a good time seems draconian to me. Surely one should be able to laugh and have a good time anywhere on the ship at any given time. I think we will give it a miss. Thanks for painting the picture it is quite useful to know the vibe of Regent.

After spending 131 nights on Regent on the World Cruise, I completely disagree with TravelCat.  I celebrated my birthday aboard ship.  It was a 3 day celebration.  Started with dinner in Prime 7 with another couple because Prime 7 was closed on my actual birthday.  I requested a quiet meal so no singing Happy Birthday by a bunch of crew.  I only had two crew members sing.  The Dom was the highlight.  The next day I had a birthday doughnut with candle and the "bunch" singing Happy Birthday as well as all of the tables around us.  Dinner that night was at a table for 8 in Compass Rose with my guest list.  We told them to not bother the crew and my guests took care of the song along with our waiter and asst. waiter.  The next day many passengers commented about the great time we had and they wanted the same thing for their birthday.  Just because we could, we had another party the next night at the Pool Grill.  Cakes for all three parties.  You can laugh and have a good time at any time at anyplace on the ship.  Maybe not the library but I only went in there to pick up Menza and drop off paperback books I did not want.  We did not have a butler but our cabin was decorated for my birthday.  My only complaint was they took the decorations down after a week.  There was not one stuffy passenger on our cruise.  Throughout the cruise we learned we were traveling with some very wealthy people.  You would not know that by the way they acted.  Of course, maybe their jewels would tell you that.  But, I am not a jewelry person so it told me nothing.  Nothing stuffy and pretentious about the passengers on Regent.  Laugh and have fun all you want.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

You may have misunderstood my post.  Of course you can laugh and have fun wherever you are but it isn't loud and boisterous like Carnival and Royal Caribbean.  There may be an open bar but passengers are not getting drunk.  

Most Regent passengers are fun and interesting to be with as they tend to have a lot of travel under their belt.  They are not pretentious or stuffy at all (except for a rare few).  

HotRoot disagreed with me but they have done a World Cruise which is, as they said in the film Over the Rainbow, "a horse of a different color."  The world cruisers are unique and do not necessarily represent the Regent cruisers that sail on shorter itineraries.  

Having said that, Regent is nothing whatsoever like Celebrity (for instance ...... and we have sailed on Celebrity).  It is the service, food and drinks that are upper class rather than the passengers.  For some people Regent does not offer enough excitement but that is not what luxury cruising is all about.  

In any case, it is fine if Regent is not for you but I wanted to make sure that it was not reasons because it is stuffy or pretentious.  Regent has become so popular that we need to book our cruises 2+ years in advance.  That says a lot about a cruise line!

19 hours ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

Just ignore what was said, it's just one opinion, believe me.  When I started cruising on Regent almost 20 years ago, I too thought it would be stuffy and pretentious.  Nothing could be further than the truth.  Raucous it's not, most of the time, but at times it is, just like regular life.  We have heaps of fun onboard ship, and so do most pax--they mostly walk around with big smiles on their faces. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

Well, I’ve only done about 10 Regent cruises and I can count on one hand the number of stuffy, pretentious people I’ve encountered.  Regent cruisers may not be the ‘get drunk and do cannonballs into the pool’ crowd but most everyone we’ve met has been fun, outgoing, and generally good company.  In fact, one of the stuffiest and most pretentious couples I met was in the Connoisseur Club complaining about how Crystal was superior to Regent in every respect.  I don’t think I saw either of them smile once the entire cruise.

I think it all hinges on expectations - if you’re looking for a club atmosphere rocking it into the wee hours or Newlywed Games or drinking contests, well, no, Regent won’t be a good choice.  But if you want good cocktails, interesting conversation, decent shows, etc. it might be worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen the -There are times and places on the ships that you can laugh, be loud and have a good time- before and I have never seen an area on the ship marked "laugh here" or "quiet here"  I have found that the vast majority of people on Regent's ship are enjoyable to be around and fun loving, they are also helpful to other passengers.  We were on a "panoramic" tour in Jerusalem (panoramic here meant in a vehicle and little walking) When we got to the Western Wall I could tell a lady (in a wheelchair) on our bus wanted to go up to the wall but didn't feel she could since her husband could not take her to the female side of the wall. At least 3 of us got together and said we would take care of her.  We pushed her to the wall, waited our turn to get to the wall and she had time to contemplate whatever and place a prayer in the wall.  When we were all done, we pushed her up hill to her husband.  Then our bus driver got a ticket because he took us too close so the passengers passed the hat to take care of the fine.  These are the type of people you will usually find on a Regents cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I have seen the -There are times and places on the ships that you can laugh, be loud and have a good time- before and I have never seen an area on the ship marked "laugh here" or "quiet here"  I have found that the vast majority of people on Regent's ship are enjoyable to be around and fun loving, they are also helpful to other passengers.  We were on a "panoramic" tour in Jerusalem (panoramic here meant in a vehicle and little walking) When we got to the Western Wall I could tell a lady (in a wheelchair) on our bus wanted to go up to the wall but didn't feel she could since her husband could not take her to the female side of the wall. At least 3 of us got together and said we would take care of her.  We pushed her to the wall, waited our turn to get to the wall and she had time to contemplate whatever and place a prayer in the wall.  When we were all done, we pushed her up hill to her husband.  Then our bus driver got a ticket because he took us too close so the passengers passed the hat to take care of the fine.  These are the type of people you will usually find on a Regents cruise.

mj_holiday - thank you so much for sharing that.  What you and other did for that woman was wonderful and is indeed the type of people that typically cruise on Regent!

On 7/26/2019 at 8:44 AM, mj_holiday said:

If you do not have a butler, you can call Regent a couple of months before your cruise and let them know what you want in your bar set up (liquor, wine, beer, soda).  When we have done this it shows up the afternoon we board.  When we tell our attendant when we first meet we will get the bar set up by the next afternoon.

Is there a list of available liquor, tonic water and such?  Do they have diet Fever Tree tonic water available?

Thanks!

On 7/27/2019 at 10:48 AM, birthdaygal said:

Going on Explorer in January, Regent first timers, wondering if there is a quiet room with chaise lounges to read.  On Celebrity they have the room near the Spa where you can read your Kindle while looking out at the ocean in air conditioning and I am looking for where we can do similar on Regent.  Am booked in Concierge Suite if that makes any difference at all.  I know balcony depends upon the sun and the temps.  I know usually there are library areas but wondering if somewhere with the chaises in the AC with a view and pretty music playing.....Thanks and am sure enjoying reading the thread here.  Did I mention I was thinking of wearing a feather, rhinestone encrusted lanyard while reading????

There is a resting area near the Spa but am not sure how many people hang out there.  There is definitely no place with a view, chaise lounges and music playing.  Keep in mind that Regent ships are one quarter to one third the size of Celebrity (we have been on Celebrity and have seen the type of room that you are referring to).  

One area that is good for reading is the Observation Lounge (not in the evening as it is busy).  Very few people in there in the morning - great views and it is quiet (but no chaise lounge or music).  

Thanks TravelCat2 that is a good idea to just look at the observation lounge when not busy there!  And I have found a spot outside near the spa pool that looks nice if wanting outside.  And the chairs on the balcony look comfy enough to use them more!  Appreciate the idea!