Top Tips for Regent First Time Cruisers

czardas

3 hours ago, lisajltx said:

Is there a list of available liquor, tonic water and such?  Do they have diet Fever Tree tonic water available?

Thanks!

Fever Tree isn't one of the standard mixers on board but I've heard of people requesting it 30 days prior to a cruise and it was on board.  Speaking of which, some Fever Tree Ginger Beer might be a nice request prior to our next cruise...although we're going to the Caribbean and I tend to drink rum drinks there more often than not...hmmm, Dark and Stormys perhaps??

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Fever Tree isn't one of the standard mixers on board but I've heard of people requesting it 30 days prior to a cruise and it was on board.  Speaking of which, some Fever Tree Ginger Beer might be a nice request prior to our next cruise...although we're going to the Caribbean and I tend to drink rum drinks there more often than not...hmmm, Dark and Stormys perhaps??

You are usually 100% correct but in this case, there is another "but" (as opposed to "butt").  Depending upon where the ship is in the world, you may have to give 90 days notice for a special request.  Ships like Explorer (now in Norway) cannot necessary obtain Fever Tree products within 30 days.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, lisajltx said:

Is there a list of available liquor, tonic water and such?  Do they have diet Fever Tree tonic water available?

Thanks!

On our Voyager cruise in the Caribbean earlier this year there was diet tonic available, but I don't know which brand.

• 5 months later...

We are going on our first Regent cruise next month, in the Caribbean.  One of the amenities for our concierge suite is a tote bag --  is it large enough to carry  two beach towels and a few other sundries (like sun block) on a beach excursion?  If not, we will bring our own beach bag.  Thanks.

I'd recommend hitting Amazon and picking up a mid-sized dry bag.  We took a large and a medium with us on our first Caribbean cruise and they were worth their weight in gold, especially when we got rained on on our boat ride to see the stingrays - everyone got drenched but DW and I had nice dry towels and shirts to change into on the way back.  I keep cameras, keys, etc. in them, too.

And finally, I pack any souvenir booze in them when we fly back - in case a bottle breaks, it's contained in the bag. 

43 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I'd recommend hitting Amazon and picking up a mid-sized dry bag.  We took a large and a medium with us on our first Caribbean cruise and they were worth their weight in gold, especially when we got rained on on our boat ride to see the stingrays - everyone got drenched but DW and I had nice dry towels and shirts to change into on the way back.  I keep cameras, keys, etc. in them, too.

And finally, I pack any souvenir booze in them when we fly back - in case a bottle breaks, it's contained in the bag.

Thanks for the great suggestion; we already have some smaller dry bags, but I had not thought of using a large one to hold the beach towels and a change of clothes.

Jerry

Paid for our first Cruise..May 4th Lisbon/London today!  Nervous...a little 🙂  Hubbie is a non-cruiser and not thrilled with 14 day cruise.  Called today to ask what wine I can request for my suite....waiting for answer.  What other advise can you offer for what I might want to request for room......in a concierge suite on level 6.

Just completed our first cruise...loved it on Explorer!

Had asked ta to ask for Drambui liquor to be in our concierge suite so upon entering the room there was iced champagne, and a huge bottle of Drambui awaiting us.  When we checked the sodas etc in fridge realized we needed to ask for some faves there too.  Should have done ahead so do that too.  However, they were delivered to us within a short time.

5 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

Also request any liquor, beer and soda you want in your suite.

My experience is limited to the current cruise that I am enjoying.  I would amend that stemmed to any liquor, beer, or soda that they carry in stock.  I am not sure if you can request liquor that cost extra on board.

By the way the food on the Explorer is the best that I have ever experienced on a cruise ship.  A wide range of choices and high quality.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

May have asked this before so apologies in advance......

my better half is giving me grief because our first trip with Regent is 16 nights and they advertise two formal nights....but I’ve read that the majority don’t do black tie / tux' and said I won’t need to lug mine across the Atlantic....

Am I right or will I need to book another case on the flight?

Regards 

Anxious from England!

16 minutes ago, Oscarsgrandad said:

May have asked this before so apologies in advance......

my better half is giving me grief because our first trip with Regent is 16 nights and they advertise two formal nights....but I’ve read that the majority don’t do black tie / tux' and said I won’t need to lug mine across the Atlantic....

Am I right or will I need to book another case on the flight?

Regards 

Anxious from England!

It is 2 Formal Optional nights.  It is your choice how you dress.  You don't have to dress formal, business casual is fine for all nights.  Some people may dress formal while others will dress as they do for all other nights.  Not mandatory to dress formal

You are correct, the majority will not dress formal.

I have to say, I am considering taking a cruise with RSSC, and one thing that worried me about a luxury line was the potential to feel out of place.  I am a professional, educated, and based on the responses I am seeing on this thread, I think my concerns can be put to rest.  Thanks!

• Like 1

We have been on 5 Regent cruises and have met many wonderful people on board from all walks of life and different professions.  I am a retired teacher, and my husband is a welder.   You will find most passengers to be friendly and fun to be around.  Oh sure, you'll find the occasional snob or grump, but they are few and far between.   No worries about "fitting in!"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheltieluv said:

We have been on 5 Regent cruises and have met many wonderful people on board from all walks of life and different professions.  I am a retired teacher, and my husband is a welder.   You will find most passengers to be friendly and fun to be around.  Oh sure, you'll find the occasional snob or grump, but they are few and far between.   No worries about "fitting in!"

Wonderful!  I am excited to give it a try.  It certainly seems to be a different experience than the mainline cruises.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nyc2pdx said:

I have to say, I am considering taking a cruise with RSSC, and one thing that worried me about a luxury line was the potential to feel out of place.  I am a professional, educated, and based on the responses I am seeing on this thread, I think my concerns can be put to rest.  Thanks!

I had similar concerns prior to our 1st Regent cruise this past fall.  We felt ABSOLUTELY comfortable!  We did have 2 dinners (a shared table in Chartreuse and a dinner with the General Manager) where our dining companions wanted to make sure we knew how many nights they had been on Regent and not in a good way.  Otherwise, everyone we met was welcoming and really nice!  There are going to be "those sorts" everywhere.  We felt that the Regent experience was very nice!

On 5/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, amusea said:

Hey Lana. 

I was on the 28 day HAL Eurodam cruise with you in March/April this year.  I couldn't agree with you more.  There were 2,000 passengers and that is just too many although in today's market that is considered a mid-sized ship.  I only opt for HAL if there is a unique itinerary which was the case with the Eurodam in March since HAL has the only ship that sails to Polynesia round-trip from the USA.  I think I would have a hard time being lured back to HAL again even though I booked a Neptune Suite just as you did.

I had taken a 64 day cruise on the Amsterdam in 2007 and it was a totally different atmosphere.  Great food, fabulous service and much more formal (twice a week) although I don't think that is necessarily an asset.  And the ship only accommodated 1300 passengers.  But I fear that sticking with smaller ships, especially Regent, guarantees a much better cruise as you can see by my future sailings below (Azamara, Crystal, Oceania and Regent).  We were on the Mariner in 2002 when it first sailed. 

I am sure you will have wonderful time on the 2020 World Cruise!

On 5/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, amusea said:

Hey Lana. 

I was on the 28 day HAL Eurodam cruise with you in March/April this year.  I couldn't agree with you more.  There were 2,000 passengers and that is just too many although in today's market that is considered a mid-sized ship.  I only opt for HAL if there is a unique itinerary which was the case with the Eurodam in March since HAL has the only ship that sails to Polynesia round-trip from the USA.  I think I would have a hard time being lured back to HAL again even though I booked a Neptune Suite just as you did.

I had taken a 64 day cruise on the Amsterdam in 2007 and it was a totally different atmosphere.  Great food, fabulous service and much more formal (twice a week) although I don't think that is necessarily an asset.  And the ship only accommodated 1300 passengers.  But I fear that sticking with smaller ships, especially Regent, guarantees a much better cruise as you can see by my future sailings below (Azamara, Crystal, Oceania and Regent).  We were on the Mariner in 2002 when it first sailed. 

I am sure you will have wonderful time on the 2020 World Cruise!

Just reading thru this thread as we have just booked our first Regent cruise to Alaska to replace part of our Oceania Insignia Asia cruise which has just been cancelled. Looking forward to the Regent experience.

We  were also on the Eurodam March/April and we were all  on the cabin crawl together. Small world!
We did have a wonderful time on that cruise and a great group of friends was formed. We are planning a reunion cruise in 2021.

Rosalyn 
I can’t delete one of the posts above pls ignore.

Edited by cruiseaholic78
I’m seeing double.