Cruise Critic Community
Wanderlust2003

What is your favorite ship class and why?

Radiance class 

Quantum class 

Freedom class 

Will sail Oasis class but like the experience and itineraries on the smaller ships

To date would have to vote for Voyager class. Freedom class is a close second. There is a ton to do but always feels like perfect size ship. However, getting ready to do first Oasis class cruise and looking forward to something new. 

For a big, diverse group, I would not recommend anything smaller.

Just me and the wife? Radiance Class.

Me, wife and son? Freedom/Voyager.

I just realized this is an 8 month old thread so you've probably made your choice already but if not (or for others planning trips for large groups):

With 40 people of diverse ages and interests, it makes sense to go with the ship that offer something for everyone.  Oasis and Quantum class fit the description to a tee. Liberty would probably be the "smallest" ship I would go down to but as an added bonus, I believe I saw on another thread she is going to be AMP'd in Q1 of 2021 so you'd be sailing on one of the "newest" ships in the fleet.

Oasis class 

Ships are a destination on their own and the shows are the best at sea 😊

Something for everyone 

Definitely Liberty is between Mega and Small... and I would factor in the port location since you have so many (40) traveling to there. 

Edited by Tulsacoker

To date, I've been on all classes except the smallest (Empress) and largest (Oasis - though we'll be on her in less than 3 weeks) and I feel that the Freedom Class is a great starter ship for a group with varied ages. We have had two family reunions (Age ranges from 5 to 80s) on that class (Liberty and Independence) and all had a great time.  There was plenty to do and see and it was simpler to go to shows without having to reserve spots like one has to do on Oasis and Quantum class ships. Between the variety of entertainment and dining options on the Oasis and Quantum class ships, it can get a little overwhelming.  To me it would be easer to manage a large group on the other ships.

If I could always have my way, anytime a first time cruiser goes with me I would want them to experience a real cruise ship first (Vision, Radiance, Empress, Majesty).  My theory for that is if they go on Voyager/Freedom/Quantum/Oasis first then everything else will be second rate in their opinion.  I want them to experience true cruising before it became mega resorts at sea.

Edited by Moltar

I took this picture in Cozumel a few weeks ago. It's the Symphony (Oasis class) next to the Enchantment (Vision class). I was sailing on the Enchantment.

Steve

I was on the Symphony looking down 😎

A few years ago I would have said Voyager/Freedom with Oasis class in second place. However, since they have chopped up and added so many cabins on the Voyager and Freedom classes in the past couple of years, Oasis is now my favorite. I only wish Oasis had some view of the ocean instead of being all inward focused. 

Freedom Class first because of size and things to do.

Radiance Class second because of the aft and open seating for breakfast.

Vision Class because it's a "baby" Freedom Class.

2 hours ago, Ron Don said:

Vision Class because it's a "baby" Freedom Class.

I'm interested in why you think this. It looks like an older version of a Radiance class to me. To me the baby Freedom is Voyager class.

Edited by Moltar

9 minutes ago, Moltar said:

I'm interested in why you think this. It looks like an older version of a Radiance class to me. To me the baby Freedom is Voyager class.

I think they’re confused and meant Voyager. 

I like the Freedom and Voyager class the best, but I think for a large varied group the Oasis class would be perfect.  It never feels crowded and the variety of things to do along with the varied eateries will please everyone.  Being able to enjoy the huge promenade , Boardwalk and Central Park make this class different.

9 hours ago, janetz said:

Oasis class 

Ships are a destination on their own and the shows are the best at sea 😊

Something for everyone 

Interesting. That's what I always thought, but in response to a question about bizarre event scheduling, the cruise director on Symphony said something like there was nothing he could do about it because the ship wasn't designed to have everyone aboard at once.