Drinks Package

Scottygirl1

32 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Not everyone has an unlimited budget. Worry is the wrong word but I do have to keep an eye on spending.

Don’t we all in one way or another?

8 hours ago, masterty said:

You spend too much time in your cabin. Get up and out in the AM and return in the PM. Get the package and enjoy. The best seats, movies, and views are not found in your cabin or from your balcony. 

That's harsh,

• Like 1

If it’s even close just get it. The improvement in mindset of being worry free vs somewhat painfully overpaying for less than generous wine pours or weak mixed drinks over and over again is worth the difference if it’s not an astronomical difference. Obviously if you’re only going to snag a couple drinks a day then don’t. Math wise, it takes 6-9 alcoholic drinks / day to cover the cost. Less if you factor in the sodas/coffees that come with it as well. I recommend snagging it if you feel like you’re even close. It’s very freeing knowing you don’t have to worry about it and that’s a more fun way to vacation. To me there’s value in that.

• Like 2

I've put the pencil to the drink package versus buying them individually and just can't make it work.  I enjoy a glass of wine or scotch or two in the evening and that's about it.  She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't drink at all, so if both passengers in the cabin are required the purchase the package there is no way I can make it work.

However, with the profit margin on alcohol sales, I hope that lots and lots of people continue to buy the drink packages.  They are helping keep the cruise prices down since the cruise line is hoping to make it up on the upsells.  

9 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've put the pencil to the drink package versus buying them individually and just can't make it work.  I enjoy a glass of wine or scotch or two in the evening and that's about it.  She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't drink at all, so if both passengers in the cabin are required the purchase the package there is no way I can make it work.

The good news is that both passengers do NOT have to buy the package.  Based on what you said, that probably doesn't change the dynamics for you, but it would for many.

7 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

The good news is that both passengers do NOT have to buy the package.  Based on what you said, that probably doesn't change the dynamics for you, but it would for many.

Yep.  I would have to start drinking at sunrise and drink all day to make it work.  If I did that, She Who Must Be Obeyed would have to check me in to a detox center at the end of the cruise.

"moderation in all things, grasshopper"

@Scottygirl1 when do you cruise?  I decided to go with PBP for our cruise Jan 2020.  I like that I pay for it now and can cruise with peace of mind and save up the cash for other things likes massages on sea days.   Would be great if you could let us know how it worked out for you. Based on all the comments, I think it would be a value for me between the Pelligrinos, coffee, wine and spirits. 

This exact decision gave us such a headache - I never realized I needed a math degree to figure out the best plan for drinking on board!!  That being said, this first time cruiser and her loyal companion ended up agreeing on one drink package for the caffeine-addicted spirit-lover among us (me), a la carte alcohol and a soda package for the lesser tempted among us (him), and hoping for the best!  We will find out over New Years somewhere in the Caribbean whether we made the right call!  Lol.

7 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

@Scottygirl1 when do you cruise?  I decided to go with PBP for our cruise Jan 2020.  I like that I pay for it now and can cruise with peace of mind and save up the cash for other things likes massages on sea days.   Would be great if you could let us know how it worked out for you. Based on all the comments, I think it would be a value for me between the Pelligrinos, coffee, wine and spirits. 

We cruise less than two weeks and have bought the package.  Yes, we have port days but we've been to some of them before so will not be doing massive excursions.  Our decision was based on the following:

Coffee plus two waters each  (for taking off the ship)

A couple of wines/beers in our room on our return.

A pre-dinner cocktail/sail away drink

Two wines with dinner and perhaps a Peligrino.

A drink at the show followed by a Peligrino.

A cocktail after the show in Crooners or a port etc.

Going by the latest price lists this comes to well over the cost of the package.  It also means that we will choose more expensive wines (ie $11 a glass compared to $9 if paying as we go).  The cocktails I like are all priced at $9.50 and $10. 

Obviously for a sea day there might be more coffees, some diet soda, more water plus an extra drink or two.  Even if we have a day where we only have a a wine with dinner and a cocktail or two it still evens out PLUS, as was said above, we don't have to consider the cost once on board - just relax.  On other bonus is that the price I have paid for the package has worked out at only $57pp with only 15% gratuity whereas onboard now it's 18% so that makes it even more cost effective for us!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We cruise less than two weeks and have bought the package.  Yes, we have port days but we've been to some of them before so will not be doing massive excursions. 

You did this without getting permission from board members????

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MissAppleBear said:

Are room service drinks included in the Premier Beverage package?

If they were included then this whole thread about how use the PBP to accumulate drinks from the bars for later use in the cabin would be pretty pointless, don'tcha think?

In other words, no. 

4 minutes ago, fishywood said:

If they were included then this whole thread about how use the PBP to accumulate drinks from the bars for later use in the cabin would be pretty pointless, don'tcha think?

In other words, no. 

Ah, I wasn't aware everyone had a beverage package, i guess I just assumed some people were buying their drinks as they go. Shame on me! I should know better! Thank you for your quick response.

3 hours ago, bemis12 said:

You did this without getting permission from board members????

Haha - I didn't realise I needed permission 🙂  The ports we are not doing tours are ones where we will still get off the ship and explore the town etc.  

Regarding the question if room service included drinks in the PBP - can you imagine the poor staff running back and forth bringing drinks to everyone?