Aft Corner Sky Suite

colliercruiser

I've searched the Solstice-class cabin thread, but with very limited results... so asking here.

We've booked the last available suite on a Feb 2020 Silhouette cruise and am wondering about the location since we've never been in an aft cabin.  This is an aft corner sky suite on deck 7, suite #7358, aft starboard side.  Questions:

• What are the advantages & disadvantages of this suite & location?
  • We've normally book cabins/suites in mid ships.  Any differences being in the aft?  I've heard some love the view, but any other plus & minuses?  
  • Is this location too far from the other parts of the ships?
  • Does this location (and on deck 7) get noise or vibrations from the azapods?
  • If offered another Sky suite in a mid-ships location, would that be preferable or less so?
  • Would you upgrade (if available) to a Celebrity suite?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, sippican said:

You hit the jackpot!  I wouldn't move for anything - but I'm an aft junkie, in particular, the corner sky suites. 

Did you search the cabin information sticky at the top?

Yes, I used the suite number to search for it, and didn't get any results.  I also looked at the ship's deck plan and searched for other similar corner aft sky suites, and no luck.  I may be doing something wrong in my search, although I was able to do that in the past.

Other than the aft view (saw some others comment on liking the view of the wake), what do you like best about those sky suites?  Any drawbacks come to mind?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Yes, I used the suite number to search for it, and didn't get any results.  I also looked at the ship's deck plan and searched for other similar corner aft sky suites, and no luck.  I may be doing something wrong in my search, although I was able to do that in the past.

Other than the aft view (saw some others comment on liking the view of the wake), what do you like best about those sky suites?  Any drawbacks come to mind?

Thanks.

I think it may be the CC site itself - I'm having a great deal of difficulty and thought it might be my browser. The suites are very large. We were in 9376 on Silhouette for a transatlantic. There is a great round window on the side in addition to the slider. The balcony is huge so you get a view to the side as well as the wake. Here is a blog (sorry it's long, but if you scroll way down, you'll see some great photos of a corner aft suite). https://effli.wordpress.com/category/travel/europe/baltics/

Yes they have a pole - it doesn't bother most a bit. Yes it is a long walk, but soooooo quiet back there. Some complain about soot - we've rearely had any, and we usually cruise aft. Vibrations may happen occasionally, but not common.

Edited by sippican

Most people really prize the S1 corner aft sky suites on S-Class.  Usually one of the first cabins to get scooped up when new itineraries are announced. We have sailed it a couple of times and love it.  It is a larger cabin with a very nice balcony and great views.  It has a nice interior porthole window.  It does have a pole near the bed.  Downside to some.  Also it is a pretty long walk to elevators if you are mobility impaired.  But most love this cabin.  There are a couple on each ship that have window washing equipment parked on the corner of the balcony.  Most do not but check the one you are booking.

8 minutes ago, sippican said:

I think it may be the CC site itself - I'm having a great deal of difficulty and thought it might be my browser. The suites are very large. We were in 9376 on Silhouette for a transatlantic. There is a great round window on the side in addition to the slider. The balcony is huge so you get a view to the side as well as the wake. Here is a blog (sorry it's long, but if you scroll way down, you'll see some great photos of a corner aft suite). https://effli.wordpress.com/category/travel/europe/baltics/

Yes they have a pole - it doesn't bother most a bit. Yes it is a long walk, but soooooo quiet back there. Some complain about soot - we've rearely had any, and we usually cruise aft. Vibrations may happen occasionally, but not common.

Thanks.  The pictures really help.

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Most people really prize the S1 corner aft sky suites on S-Class.  Usually one of the first cabins to get scooped up when new itineraries are announced. We have sailed it a couple of times and love it.  It is a larger cabin with a very nice balcony and great views.  It has a nice interior porthole window.  It does have a pole near the bed.  Downside to some.  Also it is a pretty long walk to elevators if you are mobility impaired.  But most love this cabin.  There are a couple on each ship that have window washing equipment parked on the corner of the balcony.  Most do not but check the one you are booking.

The Celebrity agent suggested that this was probably available due to a cancellation since it was the only suite available and what she thought would be desirable.  Any idea how to confirm if the window washing equipment is near this one?  The suite is on deck 7.

• Like 1

We had one of the aft corner Sky suites on Silhouette and agree with others that you have hot the jackpot. We loved it. Yes, it's a long walk, but quiet and peaceful in that part of the ship. Large balcony is wonderful, aft views are amazing. The side porthole is large and gives you extra light as well as another view outside. Cabin is roomier than a midship Sky suite, the sofa is in a good location with a coffee table in front of it. Pole didn't bother us at all. There is a little entryway that gives you even more separation from the corridor so you won't be bothered by other passengers, cleaning carts, etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed , I would grab it.,

7 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

The Celebrity agent suggested that this was probably available due to a cancellation since it was the only suite available and what she thought would be desirable.  Any idea how to confirm if the window washing equipment is near this one?  The suite is on deck 7.

7 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Window washing equipment is higher up, i.e. deck 10 for most S class ships.  We loved this cabin.  The pole did not bother us.  Loved the large window.  The balcony is longer than most balconies and allows you to see around to the side of the ship.  It is not a very deep balcony and is mostly uncovered.  Depending on your cruise destination, that may be a minor concern.  Have a great cruise!

We have stayed in the aft corner S1 on deck 7.  It is a great cabin, either port or starboard.   The views are great from the aft. There is no window washing equipment parked outside the porthole window.  The balcony is nice with two lounge chairs, 2 footstools, and one table.  The balcony is uncovered so it could get quite warm in hotter climates.  There is only one closet in this room, so if you are a clothes hog then it could be tight.  We did a B2B, first in a S2 cabin (has 2 closets) and then in the S1, we found the closet space to be limited.  You are in the only suite on this deck, besides the other corner S1, so the butler may or may not make a lot of appearances.  Bulgari products, as of April 30th 2019 on the Solstice, were still being furnished in the bathroom.   I don't remember if the aft S1s on deck 7 have a pole in the room or not, but no big deal.  Don't remember if there is any vibration, but everyone is different.  I, because I am also and aft cabin lover, would take this cabin in a minute.   And the location helps you walk off all the drink/food intake.  😉

Edited by wv4891

We are sailing on Millennium at the end of the month - Seward to Vancouver. We are in an aft corner Sky Suite and try booking that location on all ships whenever possible. Love the view and it’s a nice, quiet area of the ship. 

3 hours ago, SteveGT3 said:

We are sailing on Millennium at the end of the month - Seward to Vancouver. We are in an aft corner Sky Suite and try booking that location on all ships whenever possible. Love the view and it’s a nice, quiet area of the ship. 

I didn’t know the Millennium class ships had corner aft facing sky suite cabins. The only suites I can find are the Penthouse suites on deck 6.  If I might ask, what is the cabin number?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

22 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

I've searched the Solstice-class cabin thread, but with very limited results... so asking here.

We've booked the last available suite on a Feb 2020 Silhouette cruise and am wondering about the location since we've never been in an aft cabin.  This is an aft corner sky suite on deck 7, suite #7358, aft starboard side.  Questions:

• What are the advantages & disadvantages of this suite & location?
  • We've normally book cabins/suites in mid ships.  Any differences being in the aft?  I've heard some love the view, but any other plus & minuses?  
  • Is this location too far from the other parts of the ships?
  • Does this location (and on deck 7) get noise or vibrations from the azapods?
  • If offered another Sky suite in a mid-ships location, would that be preferable or less so?
  • Would you upgrade (if available) to a Celebrity suite?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

We have had a aft corner sky suite.  While we liked it- a few comments.  The balcony most days was very sunny and we were unable to enjoy it-  Also soot was all over the balcony, worse some days then others.  I suggest you do not leave your swim suit to dry on it.  Also the window washing equipment and cage were parked outside our port hole side window the entire trip.  I think that the closet was actually smaller on the S1 aft then an S2 in the middle of the ship.  Do not recall any problem with vibrations. Some people also do not like the pole that might be next to the bed if they get up at night to use the bathroom.  

I would, if within your budget, upgrade to a Celebrity suite- if you mind the issues above, consider an S2.

Edited by Cruise a holic

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have had a aft corner sky suite.  While we liked it- a few comments.  The balcony most days was very sunny and we were unable to enjoy it-  Also soot was all over the balcony, worse some days then others.  I suggest you do not leave your swim suit to dry on it.  Also the window washing equipment and cage were parked outside our port hole side window the entire trip.  I think that the closet was actually smaller on the S1 aft then an S2 in the middle of the ship.  Do not recall any problem with vibrations. Some people also do not like the pole that might be next to the bed if they get up at night to use the bathroom.  

I would, if within your budget, upgrade to a Celebrity suite- if you mind the issues above, consider an S2.

What ship and deck were you on?  From what I could tell via various videos & pics, the window washing equipment is not outside the porthole window on Silhouette's deck 7.

On our first celebrity cruise about 9 years ago we got upgraded to a sky aft corner suite on solstice, had never had a suite before and never had a aft before we loved it. , now we always book suites, love celebrity perks but back there were no suite lounge and dinning room like now. 

13 minutes ago, George C said:

On our first celebrity cruise about 9 years ago we got upgraded to a sky aft corner suite on solstice, had never had a suite before and never had a aft before we loved it. , now we always book suites, love celebrity perks but back there were no suite lounge and dinning room like now. 

Was starboard.  Think 10.  Do not remember as I have sailed over  40 times and the silhouette multiple times.  This was when she was only a few years old. Last sailing on the Silhouette was this past march .  We were in a Celebrity suite

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 2 weeks later...

Loved our Solstice aft corner sky suite for Alaska a few weeks ago, 9374.  Had the option to have sky suite on deck 12 but knew we would enjoy the aft corner suite much more.  I have been in aft corner suite on Disney Wonder once before and in port side sky suite on Reflection.  This sky suite was very quiet.  There was an ante room so no noise from hallway.  And very little noise from other decks or cabins as well.  It has a great set up with plenty of room, drawers, etc.  Doesn't hurt that we burned off a few more calories walking to and from back of ship.

Views were amazing from the balcony.  Had some cruise critic roll call friends over for our departure from Ketchikan.  Plenty of room for all of us on balcony and/or in room.  Butler provided cheese tray and shrimp tray for us.  And then just had to roll out of bed to enjoy our Tracy Arm cruising starting around 6 AM the next morning. 

Booked another cruise in March 2021 in same cabin.

We are currently in 7356 on Solstice, love the aft view. According to my fitbit it is 190~ steps to midship. I have short legs!

2 poles in our room, I don't think there are any next door.  I notice vibration a bit more than the same cabin on deck 8 which we were in a few years ago. I would not take a Celebrity suite over a sky suite, I like to see the ocean/outside from bed. 

• Like 1