Confiscation of Electric Gadgets

tv24

17 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I believe that this was one of the reasons that many ships now require a card to be inserted before you can turn on the lights and other electrics in the cabin. Unfortunately, it didn't take passengers long to realize that any old card could be used, which rather defeated the purpose of ensuring that things were turned off when you left the cabin. 

This was seen as a way to conserve power, more than the dangers of leaving appliances plugged in, since many folks just left the lights on when leaving, and any really dangerous items (before the newest batteries in cellphones and the like) were prohibited and confiscated.

17 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Perhaps if ships confirmed that air con stayed running without a card, then pax would desist from this practice.

Typically, if these systems interact with the AC, then it doesn't shut the system down, but merely turns the thermostat up 5* or so.  It is really inefficient to allow a space to heat up and then work to cool it back down.  Besides, the fresh air supply, which is cooled, is never shut off, whether the balcony door is open, or there is no card in the slot, so this is providing cooling at all times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jkrislc said:

So disappointed by this revelation. Just to clarify, this means I can bring my catapult as long as I leave my slingshot at home, right? 😉

That may depend on the nationality of the security officer in charge. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jkrislc said:

So disappointed by this revelation. Just to clarify, this means I can bring my catapult as long as I leave my slingshot at home, right? 😉

Of course you can!  But you will probably end up in the 'galley' (and I don't mean the kitchen!)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I was planning on using a multi port charger like this on our cruise in July on the Noordam. I hope it is approved.

61quHpMgKzL._SL1000_.jpg

I brought something similar on the Koningsdam last summer without any issues. 

This is likely a dual voltage device. If so, if you bring a plug adaptor for the 220 outlet, you'll free up the other outlets that you might need. 

1 hour ago, jkrislc said:

I brought something similar on the Koningsdam last summer without any issues. 

This is likely a dual voltage device. If so, if you bring a plug adaptor for the 220 outlet, you'll free up the other outlets that you might need. 

Any item with a two-prong plug cannot be surge protected, so they are allowed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow - I’ve taken my electric curling brush on several cruises and it’s never been questioned.  Prior to it, I took a regular curling iron and it too was allowed.

Me too. I never travel without my curling iron. I have also never had it so much as blinked  at on a cruise. Even at home, I unplug it after every use. 

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That is an excellent suggestion.  The heat generated during charging can be dangerously high.

I have to charge my cell phone and my little computer but  I always do it when I am in my room and awake. When I leave the room, I disconnect. 

23 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We never have left  anything charging when we leave our room-it’s a fear of mine.  

We've returned to our cabin more than once to find that the steward had unplugged put devices.