Confiscation of Electric Gadgets

tv24

31 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For those who don't speak "Brit," I want to point out that a catapult is a slingshot.

Thank you!   I had in mind the Monty Python Cow-catapult.   😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cunard now asks you  not to leave devices on their charges when you aren't in the room.

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That is an excellent suggestion.  The heat generated during charging can be dangerously high.

I believe that this was one of the reasons that many ships now require a card to be inserted before you can turn on the lights and other electrics in the cabin. Unfortunately, it didn't take passengers long to realize that any old card could be used, which rather defeated the purpose of ensuring that things were turned off when you left the cabin. 

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do Canadian kids say catapult or slingshot?

I always called the hand-held device a slingshot.   Catapult is larger, sits on the ground.  Did you ever see the "Cow Fling" episode on Northern Exposure? LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cunard now asks you  not to leave devices on their charges when you aren't in the room.

We never have left  anything charging when we leave our room-it’s a fear of mine.  

2 minutes ago, Walfam said:

I always called the hand-held device a slingshot.   Catapult is larger, sits on the ground.  Did you ever see the "Cow Fling" episode on Northern Exposure? LOL

Didn't they catapult a piano?

The physics class in my town built a giant slingshot and took it to the municipal compost area right after Halloween. People were invited to bring their jack o'lanterns and make them fly. 

pumpkin launch L1050602.JPG

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I believe that this was one of the reasons that many ships now require a card to be inserted before you can turn on the lights and other electrics in the cabin. Unfortunately, it didn't take passengers long to realize that any old card could be used, which rather defeated the purpose of ensuring that things were turned off when you left the cabin. 

Perhaps if ships confirmed that air con stayed running without a card, then pax would desist from this practice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Perhaps if ships confirmed that air con stayed running without a card, then pax would desist from this practice.

I don't recall any kind of instruction/explanation on K'dam. It was just there. I knew what to do because I'd seen this system before in hotels. Perhaps because my stewards saw that my card was in the slot they didn't think I needed a lesson.

31 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Didn't they catapult a piano?

The physics class in my town built a giant slingshot and took it to the municipal compost area right after Halloween. People were invited to bring their jack o'lanterns and make them fly. 

pumpkin launch L1050602.JPG

Yes, an old upright, but the original plan was a cow. Part of the dark humor of the show.  This is what I call a catapult ---Catapult

Northern Exposure piano fling  

Edited by Walfam

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I was planning on using a multi port charger like this on our cruise in July on the Noordam. I hope it is approved.

61quHpMgKzL._SL1000_.jpg

I have been bringing one of these on HAL ships for many years.  This is not a power strip but a very low-voltage USB charger.

After several naughty room visits, I have learned that if anything looks like power strip, Port Security MAY send your bag to the naughty room. 

I bring several European-US adapters in addition to the above charger to take advantage of many devices (tablets/phones/laptops) that are 110-220 Volts.  In additon, I bring US-voltage multiport adapters to plug in devices that are not dual voltage.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I was planning on using a multi port charger like this on our cruise in July on the Noordam. I hope it is approved.

61quHpMgKzL._SL1000_.jpg

Should be fine. We used one of these and no one blinked an eye.

HAL provided the item below to dh for his cpap.

IMG_20190204_062303465.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do Canadian kids say catapult or slingshot?

Definitely slingshot.  A catapult is something you build in your back yard with your friends, to see who can fling water balloons the farthest.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes it is tough to tell is an AC power plug strip (not a low voltage USB multi-charger) has a surge protector.  So to err on the side of safety, the crew will grab any power strip they see at checkin.   

Most hair dryers have built-in GFI trip devices in case you drop the hair dryer in a sink or tub full of water and reach for it.  If you do, you will be toast.   So all current hairdryers have GFI protection to kill the power if there's any current leakage in water.   That works similar to a surge protector, so they will be confiscated.   HAL provides 220 volt hair dryers that must be plugged into the 220 volt outlet at the desk, where there is no chance of the user dropping it in water, or standing in water while using it.  If you try to plug the HAL provided hairdryer into the bathroom shaver 220 volt outlet, it will not work. Leave your hair dryer home, you won't need it.

27 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Sometimes it is tough to tell is an AC power plug strip (not a low voltage USB multi-charger) has a surge protector.  So to err on the side of safety, the crew will grab any power strip they see at checkin.   

Most hair dryers have built-in GFI trip devices in case you drop the hair dryer in a sink or tub full of water and reach for it.  If you do, you will be toast.   So all current hairdryers have GFI protection to kill the power if there's any current leakage in water.   That works similar to a surge protector, so they will be confiscated.   HAL provides 220 volt hair dryers that must be plugged into the 220 volt outlet at the desk, where there is no chance of the user dropping it in water, or standing in water while using it.  If you try to plug the HAL provided hairdryer into the bathroom shaver 220 volt outlet, it will not work. Leave your hair dryer home, you won't need it.

Do you know if they also confiscate GHDs?

2 minutes ago, J4NEC said:

Pardon my ignorance, what is a GHD ?

If it an electrical heating device that plugs in, yes, they probably will grab it.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Definitely slingshot.  A catapult is something you build in your back yard with your friends, to see who can fling water balloons the farthest.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

In Australia we call it a "shanghi"

51 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

Whew. I thought I'd have to leave my trebuchet at home.

Pretty much the same thing, right?

Have you ever seen the Pumpkin Fling contests?  Some awesome equipment gets created for those.

6 hours ago, J4NEC said:

On the Noordam they were indeed confiscating electric hair curlers and straighteners.  Quite a few passengers in the Naughty Room trying to deal with this.

13 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For those who don't speak "Brit," I want to point out that a catapult is a slingshot.

So disappointed by this revelation. Just to clarify, this means I can bring my catapult as long as I leave my slingshot at home, right? 😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

On the Noordam they were indeed confiscating electric hair curlers and straighteners.  Quite a few passengers in the Naughty Room trying to deal with this.

Wow - I’ve taken my electric curling brush on several cruises and it’s never been questioned.  Prior to it, I took a regular curling iron and it too was allowed.

11 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Sorry, but a GFCI does not work similar to a surge protector, and is completely safe to use on a ship.  A GFCI merely compares the current flowing in both wires of the appliance, and when there is an imbalance (caused by current flowing in the water, for instance, to ground, or through you), it will merely open the circuit.  A surge protector, on the other hand, looks at voltage, not current, and when the voltage gets too high, a semi-conductor starts conducting and diverts the voltage to ground, but does not open the circuit.  These semi-conductors from power to ground are the dangerous part of a surge protector, and GFCI equipped appliances do not have these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1