Has the former Go Better, Go Best gone crazy?

lysolqn

Just booked an 11-night cruise (#39 on X) and checked out the perks offers.  We usually choose two perks ($150 OBC per person and gratuities) since we're not drinkers and have no need for unlimited Wi-Fi because Elite Plus status gives us sufficient free Wi-Fi to meet our needs.   What used to be known as Go Better, Go Best is now Sail Plus (two perks of your choice) and Sail All (all four available perks).  Both options allow for refund of deposit should you need to cancel your reservation.  (It appears X has decided to follow the airline industry with respect to cancellations.  What's next?  Charging for checked baggage?)  Bottom line, Sail Plus is $700 per person, while Sail All is $1085 per person.  Am I the only one who finds these prices ridiculous?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lysolqn said:

Just booked an 11-night cruise (#39 on X) and checked out the perks offers.  We usually choose two perks ($150 OBC per person and gratuities) since we're not drinkers and have no need for unlimited Wi-Fi because Elite Plus status gives us sufficient free Wi-Fi to meet our needs.   What used to be known as Go Better, Go Best is now Sail Plus (two perks of your choice) and Sail All (all four available perks).  Both options allow for refund of deposit should you need to cancel your reservation.  (It appears X has decided to follow the airline industry with respect to cancellations.  What's next?  Charging for checked baggage?)  Bottom line, Sail Plus is $700 per person, while Sail All is $1085 per person.  Am I the only one who finds these prices ridiculous?

We were booked for 2 cruised this year before this new policy started. As long as it continues, it will be our last 2 Celebrity cruises. I have no intentions to book with non refundable deposit, and I have no intentions to pay $700 for something that's worth $300. There are so many options around. 

• Like 3

I can’t do without WiFi, want a premium drink package and will pay gratuities. If I paid for those individually it would amount to a lot more (especially for a longer cruise) - so for me, bundling them is a good option.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Prices under the new sail your way bundling are horrible (for us) compared to just a few months ago. Knowing what prices were under the original  “Go Better”  plan and seeing the new prices for bookings today would have me steering clear of Celebrity.  Our 2020 Silhouette Cruise has gone up over $2000 since originally booking. No matter who we sail with we want to feel like we got a fair price or a deal on the cruise. I’d feel ripped off from day one at these new prices and not feeling you’re getting your monies worth is a bad way to start or end a vacation. I’ve already booked outside of Celebrity for 2021 because of these skyrocketing prices. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, lysolqn said:

Please tell us what you would consider a 'fair' price for these perks?

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF the drink package is off no value, I see the point...to me, it is the value...nice to have options..

I'm all for options but...I don't think it's much of an option at all if you must purchase a perk package in order to get your deposit refunded, should you have to cancel your reservation.

• Like 2

For $100, there is a complaint for lowest price?

For more than $100, unless one drives to the port, do we complain about this to the airlines?

What about the hotels?

Not that I particularly support the non-refundable fee in practice, I usually book refundable fares, even for airlines and hotels because never sure if my plans will change or not...

Of course it is an option, possibly one you rather not have to choose from... to get the 'most economical' rates, correct?

bon voyage

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

For $100, there is a complaint for lowest price?

For more than $100, unless one drives to the port, do we complain about this to the airlines?

What about the hotels?

Not that I particularly support the non-refundable fee in practice, I usually book refundable fares, even for airlines and hotels because never sure if my plans will change or not...

Of course it is an option, possibly one you rather not have to choose from... to get the 'most economical' rates, correct?

bon voyage

My DH & I were cheap you know what and would not pay the $20 non refundable hotel fee for a stay a day before our cruise. Now were locked into a costly hotel that after doing some research I would cancel & book another hotel. 

Lesson learned for lol $20

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

If the prices are too high now, it may pay to wait until after final payment date to book. Celebrity has been offering very low prices on many cruises, without perks, on the weekly exciting deals.

Agree. As thingsnow stand with their entire pricing structure, the only way we would book is after final payment. The problem is, I am a planner,  & I keep finding fair (to me) prices on other lines for sailings prior to final payment & booking them, so X gets locked out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richsea said:

Agree. As thingsnow stand with their entire pricing structure, the only way we would book is after final payment. The problem is, I am a planner,  & I keep finding fair (to me) prices on other lines for sailings prior to final payment & booking them, so X gets locked out.

Understood and accepted, for sure.

And a good way to do it, if possible.

bon voyage

30 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The problem is Celebrity thinks their customers are idiots and cannot do a simple math that $700 is worth more than $300 the the two perks are worth.

Could you please explain your $700 dollars?  We recently booked a 7 night cruise and the cost for all 4 perks is $560 ($315 for Sail Plus and an additional $245 to upgrade to Sail All).

Edited by Oville

Celebrity has really gone off the rails with their new pricing. In February, we booked an 11 night Equinox cruise for this coming October. We opted for Go Best and the total cost was $4,476. This same cruise with 4 perks is now $5,263.

I also had been looking at an 11 night on the Silhouette post- revolution. Earlier in the year the price was about $5,400 with 2 perks which was more than we wanted to spend. It's now over $7,000 with 2 perks.

It seems like the Edge had been selling at premium prices, so they've now priced the entire fleet at the same levels. 

Earlier this year, we sailed on MSC in their Yacht Club (all inclusive suite area similar to the Retreat of NCL's Haven) for less than a balcony would have cost us on the Edge. Don't roll your eyes about MSC. The Yacht Club is a totally different experience than the rest of the ship and far superior to NCL's Haven.

We like our beverage packages too and will be looking at Princess and HAL this summer when they offer their Sip and Sail and Explore 4 promos. They offer a comparable cruise experience and their prices are much more reasonable than X even if they bump them up a bit for the promo.

• Like 2

So far, the new pricing is working in our favor.  We had booked a 15 night repo under old pricing so no perks.  We would have hopefully caught a 50% off sale and spent a $1242 for Premium Beverage package.  Then 1 WiFi package-$187.  TA was paying gratuties.

When the new pricing came out we checked and found that for $2100 total for both of us we could get 4 perks.   So doing the math $2100 extra  compared to what we would have spent

less $1242 PBP @50% off 🤞

Less$187 1  WiFi with CC discount,

less $540 gratuties 

less $300 OBC (covers extra gratuties, and misc on board ).

Bundled prices cost us $169 less than we would have spent and we get 2 WiFi packages, no trying to catch 50% off sale on PBP.  Plus we are getting $975 refundable OBC.

For those that don’t want a Bev Package the new pricing probably isn’t a plus unless your willing to lose the $100 non-refundable deposit.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Oville said:

Could you please explain your $700 dollars?  We recently booked a 7 night cruise and the cost for all 4 perks is $560 ($315 for Sail Plus and an additional $245 to upgrade to Sail All).

This is what OP mentioned in his first post as difference between non refundable and refundable with 2 perks. It might be less on 7 night cruise. Here is an example for 12 night cruise:

image.thumb.png.f602c7e484cf0cfa7e7a84b9c2d48c5e.png

This is for veranda cabin. To compare, I can book similar cruise on Princess for about $1,000 CAD less per person, then get Internet for $10/day which is extra $120 or $60 per person. HAL is even less. 

45 minutes ago, Oville said:

I am seeing Delta's for the Sail Plus and Sail All more in line with what the OP has stated. I think that $560 for all 4 perks would be rare. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

The problem is Celebrity thinks their customers are idiots and cannot do a simple math that $700 is worth more than $300 the the two perks are worth.

They know there are idiots out there, that's why they do this kind of thing.

They couldn't care less about their customers and that won't change until people stop throwing their money at them, yet some still complain. The ONLY thing they care about is, will the credit card clear.

• Like 2

We have found the new pricing with perks to be far above what we’re willing to pay. To get all four perks on the five day sailing we booked four month ago is now $1000 more. To sail on the Infinity, especially before refurbishment, should not cost almost $3k for a five night cruise. We have enjoyed Celebrity, but we’re comfortable booking with other lines. 

4 hours ago, lysolqn said:

We've cruised since 2003 and have also noticed that the prices have escalated over the years.  So, instead of cruising, we'll be flying to a resort, (ex: Sandals, Beaches, etc.) for future vacations. IMHO-- More bang for your buck!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is what OP mentioned in his first post as difference between non refundable and refundable with 2 perks. It might be less on 7 night cruise. Here is an example for 12 night cruise:

image.thumb.png.f602c7e484cf0cfa7e7a84b9c2d48c5e.png

This is for veranda cabin. To compare, I can book similar cruise on Princess for about $1,000 CAD less per person, then get Internet for $10/day which is extra $120 or $60 per person. HAL is even less. 

My numbers were for an Apex Cruise in 2020.