Air Canada question

erby2283

I understand it may not be Air Canada but a smaller subsidiary...

A few months ago I posted that they changed my flight time - making it so that I would miss my connection. Re-booked to an earlier flight but that gave us a 6 hour layover instead of 2 hours.

Today, I look up my flight (I like to periodically check it to see how full the plane is getting and make sure times haven't changed again) and lo and behold, the flight is gone. Replaced with a smaller plane and new flight number. Times are similar - says it run by Air Canada Express - Air Georgian.  Have a call into my TA but hopefully the airline has automatically switched me to this flight. Makes me feel really uncomfortable that they can make all these changes - especially when there's a connecting flight to BCN I need to make.   With under 90 days until flying, do I need to be vigilant in checking these times to make sure they don't change again?

Edited by erby2283

What you are experiencing is not unusual.   All the airlines do things like this and, yes,you probably should keep on checking the times.   It’s not big deal for the airlines to change your flights to accommodate you,

Short answer - yes, yes you do. The airline should contact you (or TA since you're using one) when there's a significant change but bumping times around, replacing aircraft with different sizes, is totally normal. Air Georgian does operate AC Express services on Charlotte to Pearson routes and seems to have done so for years so I wouldn't be concerned that it's them as opposed to any other subsidiary airline.

I recall one Vegas flight with Air Canada that they changed the time, aircraft, and flight number at least half-a-dozen times on me within the month before departure, and on several occasions I've checked-in on a flight online 24hrs in advance for YYZ-YVR only to show up at the airport next day to find my seat choice redundant because they've swapped metal or amalgamated my flight with another (there are often 3 or 4 flights within a couple of hours on this route so it seems to happen often).

So do keep checking in case they screw with your timing enough to jeopardize the connection!

21 minutes ago, alidor said:

What you are experiencing is not unusual.   All the airlines do things like this and, yes,you probably should keep on checking the times.   It’s not big deal for the airlines to change your flights to accommodate you,

Thanks. In all my cruises (15+) and the several times a year I fly, other than a few minutes swing in either direction of changing times (or due to bad weather), never had this many changes with one flight.  Last time it seemed to be a little bit of a headache bc I had paid for seats and they wanted me to pay again...which I refused. My TA worked it out. 

8 minutes ago, martincath said:

Short answer - yes, yes you do. The airline should contact you (or TA since you're using one) when there's a significant change but bumping times around, replacing aircraft with different sizes, is totally normal. Air Georgian does operate AC Express services on Charlotte to Pearson routes and seems to have done so for years so I wouldn't be concerned that it's them as opposed to any other subsidiary airline.

I recall one Vegas flight with Air Canada that they changed the time, aircraft, and flight number at least half-a-dozen times on me within the month before departure, and on several occasions I've checked-in on a flight online 24hrs in advance for YYZ-YVR only to show up at the airport next day to find my seat choice redundant because they've swapped metal or amalgamated my flight with another (there are often 3 or 4 flights within a couple of hours on this route so it seems to happen often).

So do keep checking in case they screw with your timing enough to jeopardize the connection!

Thanks! Guess it's a good thing my connecting doesn't leave until 8 pm....unless they cancel this flight altogether bc the the only other non-stop gets in after my connecting leaves.  Do they usually automatically switch you to another flight?

Edited by erby2283

19 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Have a call into my TA but hopefully the airline has automatically switched me to this flight.

Did your TA not give you your 6 digit record locator number so you can check for yourself online?

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Did your TA not give you your 6 digit record locator number so you can check for yourself online?

I'm personal friends with my TA so I always just ask him.😊 But yes, I did call Air Canada with my ticket number. They had already re-seated us on the new flight and assigned us seats as well.  It was good I called bc I wanted to check my baggage allowance as my TA didn't think any checked baggage was included in the fare I purchased and AC confirmed that in fact the first piece of luggage was included.

My daughter was travelling air canada from ZHR to Toronto to St Maarten and back a couple of weeks ago.   The flight Toronto St Maarten disappeared.  Long hour wait on helpline and they said did not know if and how this flight was going to be replaced, just monitor on ‘my bookings’ ! Several days later (and only about 8 days before departure - can you imagine the stress for my daughter if this complicated trip - with all arragements and accomodations booked was going to work or needed to be cancelled ?) she was then rebooked to a flight that left 3 days before the previous flight would have arrived in Toronto !?!  Another One Hour  holding time on their helpline, but they rebooked to a connection that worked via Newark with overnight (no compensation at all for airport hotel) and then on United to St Maarten.  Another flight on the return trip was rescheduled to Air Rouge.  All related to the Boeing Max problem.  When questioning why no email or other notification was made since it was booked directly with airline, response was that they had thousands of changes for next months and this could just not be done.   Advice was to regularly consult ‘my bookings’ for further changes.  Can t imagine what if we had not checked !

Could your reschedules also be related to the Max ?

Edited by odysee

On 5/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, waterbug123 said:

Question. When I called AC they said we were in seats 2A 2C. But when I go to their website and check via "bookings" it shows me this: 

This booking appears to have been completed elsewhere than on aircanada.com (with either a travel agent or on another website).
Use this seat selection tool Opens in a new window to choose your seats for your flight.

Does this mean that I don't have a seat assignment or is this a standard statement that it always says? 

Edited by erby2283

19 hours ago, odysee said:

Can t imagine what if we had not checked !

Could your reschedules also be related to the Max ?

Can't imagine the frustration so close to travel! At least I have a couple days to play with before the cruise leaves...but still am worried as I have never had this happen in the past.

Not sure if it's related. I'm thinking the size of the plane just wasn't filling up to their liking and opted for a smaller plane.

5 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Question. When I called AC they said we were in seats 2A 2C. But when I go to their website and check via "bookings" it shows me this: 

This booking appears to have been completed elsewhere than on aircanada.com (with either a travel agent or on another website).
Use this seat selection tool Opens in a new window to choose your seats for your flight.

Does this mean that I don't have a seat assignment or is this a standard statement that it always says? 

You can click on the underlined statement and it will show you the seat assignment. At this point you can change seats as well.

• Like 1

You must be quite unlucky.  I have been flying Air Canada for the last 30 years and all my booked flights operated as planned.  I think they - and others - have a real problem with the grounding of the 737 MAX.  They have 24 of those, each with 169 seats.  If each aircraft does three flights a day on average (I have no idea what the real number is) then that's over 12,000 passengers a day on 737 MAX.  Which means 120,000 passengers over the next ten days have to be re-routed.  Clearly, that is going to take some time and manpower.  In fact, passengers are booked 40, 60 or 90 days in advance so it could have meant that a million had to be re-routed following the grounding.  What a mess!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OVgirl said:

You can click on the underlined statement and it will show you the seat assignment. At this point you can change seats as well.

Thank you. I did that and it did show us assigned to seats 2A and 2C.  I'm okay with that. 

11 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

You must be quite unlucky.  I have been flying Air Canada for the last 30 years and all my booked flights operated as planned.  I think they - and others - have a real problem with the grounding of the 737 MAX.  They have 24 of those, each with 169 seats.  If each aircraft does three flights a day on average (I have no idea what the real number is) then that's over 12,000 passengers a day on 737 MAX.  Which means 120,000 passengers over the next ten days have to be re-routed.  Clearly, that is going to take some time and manpower.  In fact, passengers are booked 40, 60 or 90 days in advance so it could have meant that a million had to be re-routed following the grounding.  What a mess!

With all the issues they have, I guess I'd rather not be on the Max - better be safe than sorry although I have no clue if my original flight was on one.

Question. How do you know if your seats are near a galley or bathroom. This is from seat guru but when I go in to air canada to change seats, it shows 51 rows and seat guru only goes to 39. Clearly not the same plane. Don’t want to ridk being near a bathroom or galley but how do you know for sure? 

Edit: figured it out. There are two types of airplanes on seatguru. The other version had 51 rows. 

Edited by erby2283

Here's a suggestion on seat selection:  you can check-in online 24 hours before departure.  Part of the check-in process allows you to see what seats are available and you can move to a different seat.  Done it many times.  There's a big advantage in your case - because of your connection to, you are checking in for the long-haul flight hours before the local boardings can so you will get a better selection of seats than they do.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:41 AM, erby2283 said:

Question. How do you know if your seats are near a galley or bathroom. This is from seat guru but when I go in to air canada to change seats, it shows 51 rows and seat guru only goes to 39. Clearly not the same plane. Don’t want to ridk being near a bathroom or galley but how do you know for sure? 

Edit: figured it out. There are two types of airplanes on seatguru. The other version had 51 rows. 

This link contains the fleet information.....

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

Toronto and Montreal to Barcelona is operated with the Rouge Version of the Boeing 767-300 ER  (towards the bottom of the page).  This version of the aircraft has 51 rows and is used mostly on tourist destinations.  The front cabin only has Premium Economy (basically the type of seat you see on domestic aircraft in the US sold as First Class).  The economy seats are also a bit tighter.

The version of the 767-300 ER with 39 is the mainline version (towards the top of the link).  The reason it has few rows is the front cabin has International Business class, where the seats open up into beds.  These seats take up more room.  This version of the aircraft is used mostly on business destinations.

Yes, the Boeing MAX grounding is causing them to move flights around more than normal.  

Enjoy the transfer through Toronto.  It is far more convenient than trying to connect from an international flight at a hub in the US.

11 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Toronto and Montreal to Barcelona is operated with the Rouge Version of the Boeing 767-300 ER  (towards the bottom of the page).  This version of the aircraft has 51 rows and is used mostly on tourist destinations.  The front cabin only has Premium Economy (basically the type of seat you see on domestic aircraft in the US sold as First Class).  The economy seats are also a bit tighter.

The version of the 767-300 ER with 39 is the mainline version (towards the top of the link).  The reason it has few rows is the front cabin has International Business class, where the seats open up into beds.  These seats take up more room.  This version of the aircraft is used mostly on business destinations.

Yes, the Boeing MAX grounding is causing them to move flights around more than normal.  

Enjoy the transfer through Toronto.  It is far more convenient than trying to connect from an international flight at a hub in the US.

Thank you so much for the information! It was very helpful. I was just worried about being bear a bathroom or galley for 7 hours but we’re in aisle 18 so I think we’re good. 

I was thinking of possibly leaving the airport and taking the train to downtown since we have a 6+ hour layover. But not sure I want to deal with customs or go thru security again. I did see on my tripit app that they are so nice lounges. May be worth the $35 p/p to use one. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, em-sk said:

Can you tell me more about Canada Rouge? It says I have premium economy seat1K 

23 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Can you tell me more about Canada Rouge? It says I have premium economy seat1K 

I posted in response to you in the other thread as well, but the premium Rouge seats were fine for us.  We were in them for international flights to Lisbon and then a return from Barcelona.  We were able to get a little bit of sleep because we could recline a little bit.  They provided iPads with a lot of movie choices, and the meals were all right.