Lovely Aurora!

jeanlyon

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Ann have you looked at the prices at the moment. Either they are keeping them high or selling very well. 

Insides at £120.00 pppn

mini suites, (small) over £250pppn.

i don’t pay that much for a full suite. And on the couple of cruises I looked at all suites sold.

On P and O website a 7 night cruise on Iona for april 2021 is £579pp for an inside cabin and £729 for a balcony.A bargain even if prices don t drop further

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

On P and O website a 7 night cruise on Iona for april 2021 is £579pp for an inside cabin and £729 for a balcony.A bargain even if prices don t drop further

The ones I looked at were June 20.

We were on the same cruise as well and can confirm that Jean isn’t exaggerating about Civitavecchia. I have a lot of even more impressive photos and some video as we were on the ship throughout (like Jean, unable to get off). Might try to post one or two but might get in a muddle. The small silver Audi A2 on the quayside ended up severely damaged. The constant battering of water on it gave it a dented roof (that sea water was pooling in) and trim hanging off it. By the time the owner returned the weather was back to normal and they must have wondered what on Earth had happened to it! The three very large tugs were going full pelt on our starboard side all day and struggled to keep us against the dock all day. The Deputy Captain told us that the ships thrusters can only hold the ship against up to 20 knots and, as Jean says, it was 70 knots. 

Like John, we didn’t have any issue with sound volume whatsoever and went to all the shows Jean referred to. We are in our 50’s so no major hearing loss (yet!) but none were too loud for us. I do know that some folk with hearing aids find them too loud because they need to turn their hearing aid volume down and don’t (no offence meant Jean, I’m sure that’s not the case with you and your travel companions). Maybe it varies depending on whereabouts in the Theatre you sit?

The Captain is indeed marmite. Again, like John, we liked him because he’s very visible around the ship and he gives out lots of interesting info about the route etc but I know that many didn’t. He’s certainly controversial and said a number of things that we found amusing but can very easily see how others would have been offended. Although he is amusing, he repeats the same gags over and over again. Here are some of his lines from the cruise....

”I hope that we will be able to let you go ashore in 5 or 10 minutes at the speed of a thousand gazelles”

”The Deputy Captain did very well getting us onto the berth this morning, so I shall be placing him on his changing mat later and tickling his tummy as a reward”

”As we leave Lisbon you will see the statue of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies” (Note - like Jean, we aren’t religious but winced at that one knowing that religious types would have been deeply offended)

”We are late leaving Seuta as the tour returning from Morocco is stuck at the border with one gentleman haggling over how many camels he can trade his wife for”. This was followed later in the evening with “Enjoy your dinner. I’ve missed mine so will be having a cold camel sandwich” and on the last night with “Those of you picking up your car at Southampton tomorrow may experience some delays (Note - instant alarm as all passengers start to worry) - the gentleman who traded his wife for three camels has to work out how to get them in a Ford Fiesta”

A couple of classics from the Peninsular drinks;

”If you don’t like something, don’t post it on Cruise Critic. Tell us and give us a chance to fix it. If we don’t, then go ahead. But I don’t care then as we’ve had your money” (Note - I raised an issue three times and they didn’t resolve it so it will be in my review Captain!)

”Thank you for paying for my mortgage this month. Those of you who cruise regularly also paid for an extension on my house last year”

There were lots more, but the one that made us laugh the most was his running gag about “those down in Super Super Saver having to row hard tonight”, not because it was funny (when you heard it very day) but because he upset some sniffy people on the lower decks and when he was told he just ramped it up a notch - or two. He just didn’t care! Mid way through the cruise we spoke to him just after a gentleman was lecturing him about the fact that at the Baltic lunch there had been much displeasure from some about him deriding those on lower decks as being in ‘Super Super Savers’ and “don’t you know Captain that some of us prefer to be down there”? We were fascinated to see what he would do the next day and roared with laughter when he went up a gear and thereafter referred to those in “down in Super Super Super Savers needing to row even harder”. To rub salt in the wound, on the last night he finished his last broadcast with “A special thank you to those in Super Super Super Saver who have worked very hard rowing throughout the cruise and, next time, if you pay a bit more you can go on a higher deck and let someone else do the rowing”.  

Didn't know that Paul Ludlow was on board, but we always comment on how many senior officers stand around the edges of the Peninsular drinks parties and talk to each other rather than to passengers. I guess that if the top man does the same they don’t really want to know what us mere mortals think!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

We've only been on her once Andy and that was last year - 24 days Canada and USA. Just found it too  dark but also sleepy and dull for so many sea days. Loved Oriana so was surprised  that we didn't  like Aurora but maybe we're too used to the bigger ships and we love Britannia now - and I'll duck for cover  blaspheming on an Aurora thread :classic_biggrin:

Aurora is my favourite ship, as she was the first ship we sailed on and have had several memorable cruises on her, including nearly seven weeks in 2017 when we did two legs of the World Cruise (from Singapore to San Francisco) and the 24 night USA and Canada cruise that you were on last year. 

The sea days crossing the Pacific were brilliant in 2017 - long days of endless sun, and it was a highlight of the cruise. 

However, I agree about the sleepy and rather dull atmosphere on the sea days on the USA and Canada cruise last year, especially on the 6 days at the end of the cruise. If it wasn’t for the cinema showing a decent film each day, I think I would have ended up being quite bored ( and I’m usually quite happy spending my sea days reading and doing world puzzles)

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Didn't know that Paul Ludlow was on board, but we always comment on how many senior officers stand around the edges of the Peninsular drinks parties and talk to each other rather than to passengers. I guess that if the top man does the same they don’t really want to know what us mere mortals think!

There is a simple solution to that - I make a beeline for them, interrupt politely and engage them in conversation! I think many are scared to talk to passengers!!

• Like 1

Paul Ludlow was only onboard between Alicante and Lisbon (I presume partly to view the refit?).At the Peninsular party he seemed to be observing (don't think he took notes!!)but I was disappointed that the captain didn t introduce him to give him an opportunity to thank us all for our loyalty!It made me laugh though because as he was leaving the party someone passed him in the corridor (and I think assuming he was one of the entertainers)said 'Still finding your way around, lads!(He was with another chap-not sure if he was another big wig from Carnival or his partner)

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We were on the same cruise as well and can confirm that Jean isn’t exaggerating about Civitavecchia. I have a lot of even more impressive photos and some video as we were on the ship throughout (like Jean, unable to get off). Might try to post one or two but might get in a muddle. The small silver Audi A2 on the quayside ended up severely damaged. The constant battering of water on it gave it a dented roof (that sea water was pooling in) and trim hanging off it. By the time the owner returned the weather was back to normal and they must have wondered what on Earth had happened to it! The three very large tugs were going full pelt on our starboard side all day and struggled to keep us against the dock all day. The Deputy Captain told us that the ships thrusters can only hold the ship against up to 20 knots and, as Jean says, it was 70 knots. 

Like John, we didn’t have any issue with sound volume whatsoever and went to all the shows Jean referred to. We are in our 50’s so no major hearing loss (yet!) but none were too loud for us. I do know that some folk with hearing aids find them too loud because they need to turn their hearing aid volume down and don’t (no offence meant Jean, I’m sure that’s not the case with you and your travel companions). Maybe it varies depending on whereabouts in the Theatre you sit?

The Captain is indeed marmite. Again, like John, we liked him because he’s very visible around the ship and he gives out lots of interesting info about the route etc but I know that many didn’t. He’s certainly controversial and said a number of things that we found amusing but can very easily see how others would have been offended. Although he is amusing, he repeats the same gags over and over again. Here are some of his lines from the cruise....

”I hope that we will be able to let you go ashore in 5 or 10 minutes at the speed of a thousand gazelles”

”The Deputy Captain did very well getting us onto the berth this morning, so I shall be placing him on his changing mat later and tickling his tummy as a reward”

”As we leave Lisbon you will see the statue of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies” (Note - like Jean, we aren’t religious but winced at that one knowing that religious types would have been deeply offended)

”We are late leaving Seuta as the tour returning from Morocco is stuck at the border with one gentleman haggling over how many camels he can trade his wife for”. This was followed later in the evening with “Enjoy your dinner. I’ve missed mine so will be having a cold camel sandwich” and on the last night with “Those of you picking up your car at Southampton tomorrow may experience some delays (Note - instant alarm as all passengers start to worry) - the gentleman who traded his wife for three camels has to work out how to get them in a Ford Fiesta”

A couple of classics from the Peninsular drinks;

”If you don’t like something, don’t post it on Cruise Critic. Tell us and give us a chance to fix it. If we don’t, then go ahead. But I don’t care then as we’ve had your money” (Note - I raised an issue three times and they didn’t resolve it so it will be in my review Captain!)

”Thank you for paying for my mortgage this month. Those of you who cruise regularly also paid for an extension on my house last year”

There were lots more, but the one that made us laugh the most was his running gag about “those down in Super Super Saver having to row hard tonight”, not because it was funny (when you heard it very day) but because he upset some sniffy people on the lower decks and when he was told he just ramped it up a notch - or two. He just didn’t care! Mid way through the cruise we spoke to him just after a gentleman was lecturing him about the fact that at the Baltic lunch there had been much displeasure from some about him deriding those on lower decks as being in ‘Super Super Savers’ and “don’t you know Captain that some of us prefer to be down there”? We were fascinated to see what he would do the next day and roared with laughter when he went up a gear and thereafter referred to those in “down in Super Super Super Savers needing to row even harder”. To rub salt in the wound, on the last night he finished his last broadcast with “A special thank you to those in Super Super Super Saver who have worked very hard rowing throughout the cruise and, next time, if you pay a bit more you can go on a higher deck and let someone else do the rowing”.  

Oh God, I didn't need to read them as well as hear them!!!!

The man should stick to doing what he does know how to do, keep his trap shut and stay on the bridge.

Just for info, our hearing is very good, no offence taken.  In fact, I rather wish I had a hearing aid, I could turn it down!!  We have sat at the back, we have sat half way down,, it makes no difference.  Applause was perfect.  Atonish was deafening and so was Runaway kids and actually their humour was extremely childish as well.

Hey ho,  none of it spoils my holiday, just would prefer some more sophisticated announcements, like Capt Box used to make.  Really interesting information, not garbage.

19 hours ago, ann141 said:

I would have liked to book the maiden voyage on Iona but Mark wasn t keen on going to the fjords so soon again.Hoping for a real bargain on her next year that Mark won t be able to refuse!! There are a lot of cabins to fill!

We have just booked 14 nights on Iona for November 2020 to Spain etc for £719 inside saver and 7 nights straight after to Hamburg etc for £399.

Wasnt sure if we wanted to go on her, but at them prices, couldn't resist.

Andy

• Like 1

Re the USA & Canada cruise last year, we were on that one too and we found the same as the others above that six sea days in a row were just too much, given that we find the P&O ‘entertainment’ of very little appeal. We wouldn’t do another transatlantic unless there were stops both ways (Azores etc). At least we now know that we would never want to do a World cruise!

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We have just booked 14 nights on Iona for November 2020 to Spain etc for £719 inside saver and 7 nights straight after to Hamburg etc for £399.

Andy

Iona is certainly being priced very keenly for 2020. Sadly this hasn’t been the case with Aurora. Our 2020 cruise on her is significantly more per night (allowing for the net price after OBC) than the one we have just come off (same cabin, both booked at launch). Suspect that it’s a combination of service charge being recouped, the move to adult only and the fact that Oriana will be no more. 

We had 4 cruises booked and have just completed the first.  2 on Aurora and 2 on Arcadia.  The deal on the one we have just done was excellent.  We paid around £70 per night, give or take.  The next one in October is quite expensive as around £100 per night or just over.

The next 2 on Arcadia are back to being cheap.  About £71 per person per night.   They are mostly 19 nights, one is 17 nights, so I think that's cheap.

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Iona is certainly being priced very keenly for 2020. Sadly this hasn’t been the case with Aurora. Our 2020 cruise on her is significantly more per night (allowing for the net price after OBC) than the one we have just come off (same cabin, both booked at launch). Suspect that it’s a combination of service charge being recouped, the move to adult only and the fact that Oriana will be no more. 

I think demand is the key, the smaller ships are becoming more popular with the seasoned cruisers who are looking for a more traditional holiday.

We have noticed the jump in Aurora prices, but the key is, if they don't sell at the increased prices, they will be reduced and if Iona does prove to be popular, the prices will increase.

These are the benefits and pitfalls of fluid pricing.

Andy

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Anyone from R906 had their post cruise questionnaire e-mail yet?

Yes John. 5.14pm Monday. Haven’t had time to fill it in yet. Very nice cruise but we were miffed that the accessible balcony cabins had not been given the new wall mounted large screen TV’s following the refit that ALL other balcony cabins and above had. Tried 3 times to get an answer as to why and they just ignored me. I made the point that there is tons of wall space above the 3 seater sofa and being 50% wider cabins the bigger screen TV’s would have been much appreciated. That will be going on my feedback. 

46 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes John. 5.14pm Monday. Haven’t had time to fill it in yet. Very nice cruise but we were miffed that the accessible balcony cabins had not been given the new wall mounted large screen TV’s following the refit that ALL other balcony cabins and above had. Tried 3 times to get an answer as to why and they just ignored me. I made the point that there is tons of wall space above the 3 seater sofa and being 50% wider cabins the bigger screen TV’s would have been much appreciated. That will be going on my feedback. 

We intend to raise the same issue Selbourne. We did have a visit from a senior member of housekeeping after I  complained, her initial response was that our cabin was a lower grade than the others on A deck, just why do P&O not train their staff better.

57 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We intend to raise the same issue Selbourne. We did have a visit from a senior member of housekeeping after I  complained, her initial response was that our cabin was a lower grade than the others on A deck, just why do P&O not train their staff better.

Interesting. We had a male deck manager visit after I raised it the first time on the First Impressions form, but purely to see what we were complaining about. Once I explained he said he would find out and get back to us. Never saw him again. Raised it on the mid cruise feedback. Nothing. Asked Reception to get the deck manager to contact me. Nothing. On the final feedback form I made the point that I don’t appreciate being ignored. I wondered if the big screen TV’s were only in Superior Balcony and above but I made a point of looking in balcony cabins that were exactly the same grade as ours and all had the large TV’s. We spend a lot of time in our cabin and were really looking forward to the big screen TV’s. 

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes the prices are good for the winter season however the summer season yo yer Fjords still look very high with most select inside fares over the £100 pppn with the highest grade of inside  being nearer to £120 pppn.

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

Yes the prices are good for the winter season however the summer season yo yer Fjords still look very high with most select inside fares over the £100 pppn with the highest grade of inside  being nearer to £120 pppn.

Interesting. We got a balcony cabin on the Maiden cruise for £125 pppn, taking into account OBC (as I always do to compare prices, given P&O’s tactic of price goes up, OBC goes up, price goes down, OBC goes down). The Aurora cruise we have just been on was £102 pppn net of OBC and next summers Aurora cruise was £158 pppn - same grade balcony cabin, both booked at launch. 

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. We got a balcony cabin on the Maiden cruise for £125 pppn, taking into account OBC (as I always do to compare prices, given P&O’s tactic of price goes up, OBC goes up, price goes down, OBC goes down). The Aurora cruise we have just been on was £102 pppn net of OBC and next summers Aurora cruise was £158 pppn - same grade balcony cabin, both booked at launch. 

Yes as you know I always book at launch. Just looked out of interest and in early June 2020 booking now standard balconies are around £160/£170 pppn

23 hours ago, ann141 said:

I would have liked to book the maiden voyage on Iona but Mark wasn t keen on going to the fjords so soon again.Hoping for a real bargain on her next year that Mark won t be able to refuse!! There are a lot of cabins to fill!

We're doing a  B2B in Feb/March 2021 Ann and it's the cheapest we've paid for some time. Think it's £80 per night and we got the pick of the balcony cabins so very pleased. 

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

We're doing a  B2B in Feb/March 2021 Ann and it's the cheapest we've paid for some time. Think it's £80 per night and we got the pick of the balcony cabins so very pleased. 

Have I said that we are on a BtoB at the same time as you. Well your second our first. Was that on another forum.

Dai

36 minutes ago, daiB said:

Have I said that we are on a BtoB at the same time as you. Well your second our first. Was that on another forum.

Dai

Don't think I knew that Dai but hopefully we can meet up for a drink. It's great to put  a face to a pretend name :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

Hope you have a great time Andy.  They'd have to pay me to go on her 😀

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

Hope you have a great time Andy.  They'd have to pay me to go on her 😀

We did think the same as we like the smaller ships, but took the plunge with Britannia and loved it, so will give Iona a go and am looking forward to it.

We may not like it, but at least we would have tried and it is not costing a fortune to try.

Andy