Medical insurance question

WScruiser

We have cancellation insurance, but I'm looking for information regarding emergency medical insurance for a cruise.  I have always been a klutz, and as I grow older, I tend to do damage when I go down.  Would this be something we would purchase from our regular insurance agent?  TIA

Check to see if you don't have some sort of medical coverage from a credit card you use or from your existing health plan or from Medicare.   However Medicare will only cover you if you are in the U.S. or one of its territories.  They won't cover health care if you are on a cruise unless you happen to be in US waters. Other than that, ask your travel agent. They can offer plans to cover both trip cancelation coverage along with medical coverage including Air Evacuation to a medical facility or even back to the U.S. if medically necessary.  The plans we bought in the past had both trip cancelation, medical insurance and even lost luggage.

That would probably be a good place to start.  Your agent might know your needs better and if you discuss your concerns with them they could develop some plan for you.  There are other options out there too like  Travel Guard, Allianz, Amex and a host of others.  You can go to their websites and see what they have to offer.  Your can suit your coverage based on your needs or budget.  Some insurance is better than none.  

If you Google "Travel Insurance", a few sites will come up that help you compare the various companies/plans available. A note of caution, many require you purchase the plan with 2-3 weeks of your initial deposit for pre-existing conditions to be covered and they all have look back periods. That should all be detailed in any comparison. All that said, the medical and evacuation coverage for most of these plans is considerably better than anything HAL offers.

1 hour ago, Double D Cruisers said:

Check to see if you don't have some sort of medical coverage from a credit card you use or from your existing health plan or from Medicare.   However Medicare will only cover you if you are in the U.S. or one of its territories.  They won't cover health care if you are on a cruise unless you happen to be in US waters. Other than that, ask your travel agent. They can offer plans to cover both trip cancelation coverage along with medical coverage including Air Evacuation to a medical facility or even back to the U.S. if medically necessary.  The plans we bought in the past had both trip cancelation, medical insurance and even lost luggage.

I think that our Medicare Supplemental Insurance provides some out of country coverage.  Check with yours to be sure..

• Like 1

I plan to get a GeoBlue policy for a year.It is health insurance only. My credit card from Costco gives good travel insurance coverage if I charge the trip using the card - except no health. GeoBlue https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/  will cost for a year what I would usually pay for one trip insurance policy. And, since I plan to travel more now that I am retired, I think it is worth it. 

1 hour ago, Double D Cruisers said:

However Medicare will only cover you if you are in the U.S. or one of its territories.  They won't cover health care if you are on a cruise unless you happen to be in US waters. 

True for regular Medicare, but many Medicare Supplement ("Medigap") policies cover emergency care overseas (80% via reimbursement, so you still need a credit card with room on it in the interim, but that's also generally true for travel medical insurance).

Edited by Underwatr

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

True for regular Medicare, but many Medicare Supplement ("Medigap") policies cover emergency care overseas (80% via reimbursement, so you still need a credit card with room on it in the interim, but that's also generally true for travel medical insurance).

Yes indeed. Thanks for the clarification.  Medicare Part C (supplemental) does/may cover some/all portions.  I am retired military so in my case Tricare for Life (supplemental)  would pay for all health care to include air evacuation to "the safest closest place" if I were anywhere in the world. However, I may have to pay out of pocket, and the be reimbursed later.  

I don’t sell insurance but supplemental Medicare policies F and G offer emergency out of country medical coverage.  Subject to limits of course.  

Medicare advantage products part C also offer out of country coverage. 

It is alphabet soup.  Do the research online. 

High end credit cards offer travel insurance including cancelation  for a medical reason and emergency medical and evacuation.  Subject to limits of course.  But when I read other threads about insurance I realize many are paying a lot of money to duplicate what their credit card might already offer.   We think high 

end credit cards are worth their yearly fee just for the travel benefits.  

13 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

I don’t sell insurance but supplemental Medicare policies F and G offer emergency out of country medical coverage.  Subject to limits of course.  

Medicare advantage products part C also offer out of country coverage. 

It is alphabet soup.  Do the research online. 

High end credit cards offer travel insurance including cancelation  for a medical reason and emergency medical and evacuation.  Subject to limits of course.  But when I read other threads about insurance I realize many are paying a lot of money to duplicate what their credit card might already offer.   We think high 

end credit cards are worth their yearly fee just for the travel benefits.  

I agree - the high end card I have provides enough coverage so that I no longer purchase the cruiseline's insurance, although it does not cover "cancel for any reason", a bit of a negative.

Nationwide offers several plans for cruise passengers that even cover Itinerary Changes and missed Shore Excursions.  Most important for me is medical + evacuation.  I’ve bought mine through insuremytrip.

Edited by syesmar

We bought the upgraded travel/medical insurance through HAL this past November.  I was injured on an excursion and was taken to the Ships Doctor.  $500 out of pocket right away.  Then x-rays, treatment, and meds.  All in all, over $1k out of pocket.  I was told I could file a claim for reimbursement.  When we got home, I did file.  Several forms and fax back to them. After a couple of days, I was informed by the company that since I had MEDICARE and TRICARE FOR LIFE I would have to file first with MEDICARE and when they denied the claim I would have to file with TRICARE FOR LIFE.  After both of them denied the claim, then I could send documentation to the Company and they would then evaluate and reimburse me.  This was DECEMBER 2018.  I am still waiting for MEDICARE to deny.  The COMPANY sent me an email stating they closed the case but I could reopen when I get all the "Required" documentation.   I am almost sorry I purchased the insurance!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, slimknyzer said:

We bought the upgraded travel/medical insurance through HAL this past November.  I was injured on an excursion and was taken to the Ships Doctor.  $500 out of pocket right away.  Then x-rays, treatment, and meds.  All in all, over $1k out of pocket.  I was told I could file a claim for reimbursement. . . After both of them denied the claim, then I could send documentation to the Company and they would then evaluate and reimburse me.  This was DECEMBER 2018.  I am still waiting for MEDICARE to deny.  The COMPANY sent me an email stating they closed the case but I could reopen when I get all the "Required" documentation.   I am almost sorry I purchased the insurance!

Wow!  That’s a whole lot of rigmarole to go through!  I hope things get sorted out soon for you.

A couple years back, we had a very late arriving flight that originated from Europe.  Because of the Solar Eclipse, flights were sold out to our home airport and we had to overnight in NYC, change our flight to an airport 4 hours away and rent a car to get home.  I had a regular travel insurance policy and also one with my credit card.  The credit card’s insurance said they wouldn’t cover the rental car; however, had I taken a taxi they would have covered it!?!?!  Who would possibly know that in advance when you’re trying to think of “what if” scenarios?  Thankfully, the EU regulation that covers late arrivals kicked in, so it worked out quite well for us.  But it’s hard to know in advance all the ins and outs that can’t be planned for.

Best Wishes!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, syesmar said:

Wow!  That’s a whole lot of rigmarole to go through!

Yup, that's how it works. You pay up front and then wait and wait to be made whole.

My wife had a medical issue and we had to submit all the medical paperwork (both shipboard and hospital) to her medical insurer (she was pre-Medicare) and then forward the EOBs to the travel insurance. The medical insurer misplaced the hospital claim! The travel insurance was patient even though they told me they were putting the claim on the "inactive" list until I got the EOB. Eventually the travel insurance paid 100% of the claim even though contractually they should only have paid 80% - which didn't really help me because it just meant the travel insurance had to pay less.

Edited by Underwatr

On 5/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, cuagrad90 said:

I plan to get a GeoBlue policy for a year.It is health insurance only. My credit card from Costco gives good travel insurance coverage if I charge the trip using the card - except no health. GeoBlue https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/  will cost for a year what I would usually pay for one trip insurance policy. And, since I plan to travel more now that I am retired, I think it is worth it. 

cuagrad90, we have an annual medical travel policy with GeoBlue and have for the past 2 years since we are Medicare age.  We haven’t had to use it, thankfully, but it does bring piece of mind,  like you mentioned, we have good travel coverage from our credit card but no medical.  We travel lots and this is an excellent way to go.

9 hours ago, syesmar said:

Nationwide offers several plans for cruise passengers that even cover Itinerary Changes and missed Shore Excursions.  Most important for me is medical + evacuation.  I’ve bought mine through insuremytrip.

Nationwide let me apply my insurance to the cruise I cancelled to my new cruise. This saved me some money. 

Not sure if that's typical for all trip insurance carriers.

I use a combination of credit card travel insurance then fill the gaps with a policy from Tripinsure.   You can actually buy a yearly health policy for out of the country travel.  I think that is also available on Tripinsure

I truly feel sorry (and the pain) of those that have to wrestle with filing complex medical claims.  Even if the claim is not complex the insurance companies sure can make it seem so.  I spent over thirty years working in the medical insurance (government) industry and was considered an "expert" (by a Federal Court) in many related issues.  About a year ago DW had a major injury in Vietnam (while on a Princess cruise) and it took many months (and a lot more gray hair) to get all the claims resolved and paid.  At the time I still remember thinking, what on earth do the regular folk do?  DW actually said that I should start a consulting business filing claims for travelers (no way!  am truly retired).  

So here is the Ugly truth.  Dealing with medical claims that occur on a trip/cruise can be an absolute nightmare...even for the best informed.  And what is sad it that with a lifetime of medical insurance knowledge and over forty years of extensive cruise experience I have no answers!   Yes, I do make sure that DW and I have adequate travel medical insurance ($250,000 worth) and can suggest that folks get decent health insurance with a minimum of $100,000 of limits (which rules out all the policies sold by cruise lines).   The other piece of advice is that when you do need medical treatment during a trip, carefully document everything and keep a day by day diary (easy to do on a phone or computer) with all the detail possible.   Also get your insurance company involved ASAP (I was on the phone with my insurance provider while DW was still in a Japanese Hospital treatment room) and make sure to log every call (with details).  

One other very important issue, which is impossible for some folks.  One should have one or more credit cards with very high credit limits.  Most foreign medical care must be paid at the time you receive the care and the cost can easily be in the thousands (or a lot higher).   I cannot even imagine the hassles for folks that do not have the ability to handle those large bills.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:26 AM, slimknyzer said:

We bought the upgraded travel/medical insurance through HAL this past November.  I was injured on an excursion and was taken to the Ships Doctor.  $500 out of pocket right away.  Then x-rays, treatment, and meds.  All in all, over $1k out of pocket.  I was told I could file a claim for reimbursement.  When we got home, I did file.  Several forms and fax back to them. After a couple of days, I was informed by the company that since I had MEDICARE and TRICARE FOR LIFE I would have to file first with MEDICARE and when they denied the claim I would have to file with TRICARE FOR LIFE.  After both of them denied the claim, then I could send documentation to the Company and they would then evaluate and reimburse me.  This was DECEMBER 2018.  I am still waiting for MEDICARE to deny.  The COMPANY sent me an email stating they closed the case but I could reopen when I get all the "Required" documentation.   I am almost sorry I purchased the insurance!

One of the reasons I always buy a travel insurance policy that does primary medical coverage.  I don't want to go through all the hoops of my regular coverage before travel kicks in.  When I had my accident on vacation in Italy, it was 10,000EU hospital bill!!!  The travel insurance I had (Travel Assured) took care of everything - I never had to involve my Aetna insurance (my ex's company insurance that he was still paying for back then).   Like Hlitner, I was on the phone daily with the insurer - I had an agent assigned immediately and worked with him the whole time.  Man, was I happy I had my RAZR phone with me and the insurance reimbursed me for my phone bill (back in the day before SIM cards and T-Mobile cheap fees). The amount I pay for the insurance is worth it, considering all that I'd have to pay out of pocket and wait and hope all would be reimbursed months/years later!!

Edited by slidergirl

Don t know about US credit Cards , but most Canadian C/C ( Visa - M/C ) will not cover anyone over 65.  Don t know about AMEX  Even under 65 from what I have heard is never depend on Credit Card .  Before they even pay a claim , they will raise your C/C limit and put claim on your card while they investigate the claim.  You would probably be responsible for the interest and hope and pray claim would be paid.  No idea what their limit is, but suspect it would probably be low.  Don t know if it would cover Medivac ( air ambulance), if unable to fly regular air. Have no idea about pre existing. conditions with C/C .  When buying Travel Medical Insurance any reputable company spells out all the pre existing and better read their interpretation of pre existing. Might be different from yours.

Seems like every Company thinks differently,

• Like 1