Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

Such devastating news.  Prayers for all families affected  by this tragedy.  😪😪😪

Can’t believe this has happened during the Royal’s first day ever in Alaska. 

Edited by 4cats4me

3 minutes ago, JanetAlice said:

Any word on the operator of the other plane? We flew with Island Wings many times. 

I haven't seen the other carrier named yet but the news organization in this link has been updating information quickly.  So incomprehensibly sad.  https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Authorities-working-to-rescue-victims-of-two-float-plane-crashes-near-Ketchikan-509872001.html?fbclid=IwAR1D3nAO38YFH1B1FZtGfJEBhkigNVVH9Vj5yrYjIQz9ZaQWgqNf3nm7hTs

I’m in tears. This is awful. We are booked on a floatplane excursion there in July. I saw that the larger plane was operated by Taquan but haven’t seen which one the smaller one is. Same kind of plane Island Wings operates I think. I’ve heard such good things about Michelle and island Wings. Sending prayers to all affected. 

5 minutes ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

I’m in tears. This is awful. We are booked on a floatplane excursion there in July. I saw that the larger plane was operated by Taquan but haven’t seen which one the smaller one is. Same kind of plane Island Wings operates I think. I’ve heard such good things about Michelle and island Wings. Sending prayers to all affected. 

I believe you are correct. Island Wings has two planes. Not sure what other companies fly.

1 hour ago, idahospud said:

No new updates from the Captain yet. He did say there is a care team available on board for those who need it. We have the Most Traveled Guest cocktail party in a couple hours but I don't expect the Captain to be in attendance now. 

Thanks to everyone for the updated links. Things are pretty somber onboard now. I'll post updates on my blog if I get any more news. I'll also stop by here, too.

Thank you for keeping us informed.  While these types of accidents aren't unheard of, it still sends chills up my spine to hear about them.  It all will get worked out.  My thoughts are with the family and everyone aboard The Royal.

Edited by elliair

I just read about this and I am horrified and so sad. I only left the Royal Saturday after a lovely 7-day cruise. How devastating. My sympathy goes to the relatives, passengers crew, plus Captain a horrid event to happen on his watch.

I have a very sad update. The Captain has announced that nine passengers from our ship on the Princess excursion were rescued but one is still missing. On the other plane, four Princess passengers from our ship as well as the pilot have died.

We are leaving port now and will arrive late in Juneau. Excursions are being rearranged, and if passengers are booked on any flightseeing excursions during the rest of the voyage they can ask for for a full refund if they wish to cancel.

Counselors are available for passengers and crew. We have a very sad ship right now. Please keep the families and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Royal just pulled away from the port and now heading for Juneau. We won’t get there until 10:00 am tomorrow. The mood onboard is quiet and somber. Our prayers go out the all passengers involved and friends and relatives still onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Sent Island Wings a message to confirm all were OK, heard nothing as of yet, Michelle has been such a joy.  Praying she and her crew are safe.  Thoughts with all the families affected. 

12 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I have a very sad update. The Captain has announced that nine passengers from our ship on the Princess excursion were rescued but one is still missing. On the other plane, four Princess passengers from our ship as well as the pilot have died.

We are leaving port now and will arrive late in Juneau. Excursions are being rearranged, and if passengers are booked on any flightseeing excursions during the rest of the voyage they can ask for for a full refund if they wish to cancel.

Counselors are available for passengers and crew. We have a very sad ship right now. Please keep the families and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much for the updates.   So sad!   

My aunt and uncle are on this cruise and booked this tour. I have been nervous since I heard. We are going to Alaska in less than 2 weeks and shared all of our tours and itinerary. (we also booked this tour)

I just got a hold of my cousin and found out my Aunt and Uncle took this flight this morning. Thank God they are safe. They said that they were told by the staff that they should phone home and tell the family they are fine.  I hope others on the cruise contact those that know they booked the float plane tour to reassure them.

My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families that are affected.

• Like 5

Thank you Idahospud, and others on this cruise, for keeping us updated. Those of us who share the love of cruising are sending our love and prayers to everyone affected by this tragedy. I’m sure it will be difficult to enjoy the rest of your cruise given the circumstances. Just know your cruising community shares in your sadness even though we’re miles away. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, dundeene said:

My aunt and uncle are on this cruise and booked this tour. I have been nervous since I heard. We are going to Alaska in less than 2 weeks and shared all of our tours and itinerary. (we also booked this tour)

I just got a hold of my cousin and found out my Aunt and Uncle took this flight this morning. Thank God they are safe. They said that they were told by the staff that they should phone home and tell the family they are fine.  I hope others on the cruise contact those that know they booked the float plane tour to reassure them.

My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families that are affected.

So glad your family members are safe, it had to have been a horrible time waiting to hear. 

My my prayers go out to all those affected by this nightmare. So terribly sad. 

17 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Thank you for this update.  I can't begin to imagine what the families are going through.  We flew with Michelle on Island Wings a couple of summers ago.  She was such an experienced and competent pilot, we knew we were in the best of hands.  The entire close-knit communities of Ketchikan, and Alaskan pilots have to be devastated.  The Royal must, indeed, be a very sad ship. You are all in my prayers.

• Like 3