Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

We are on the Coral, and were just sitting down to dinner when our Captain announced news of the accident. The dining room was completely silent as everyone realized the magnitude of the losses. Yesterday was a beautiful day in Ketchikan, but when we saw multiple emergency vehicles heading out of town we knew something bad had happened. I am so sad for those on the Royal, and hope that the beauty of Alaska will help in the healing process for passengers and crew. Our hearts go out to all affected, including the families of the pilots. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nick659 said:

We are on Royal Princess and going to Juneau scheduled to arrive at 10am. I found this letter on the floor at me bedroom door. 

98CE7916-2270-4F02-871A-92B9070B8158.jpeg

Glad to see that Princess is allowing passengers to cancel any upcoming flight seeing excursions without penalty. I would be freaked out about going on one of those now if I was one the Royal. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected.

Edited by ReneeFLL

36 minutes ago, doublemm16 said:

I am familiar with them. I flew with mountain Air last summer to Traitors Cove. Randy was an excellent pilot who was referred to us by Island Wings. This is horribly tragic!

It is so very sad. 

1 hour ago, idahospud said:

I've just posted an update of what's transpired onboard so far on my blog. I hope it's okay I've copied and pasted it here. 

Royal Princess Accident Update

As people are looking for more information about what is happening on the Royal Princess in regards to yesterday's plane crash in Ketchikan, Alaska, I thought I'd update you on what we know so far.
  • Monday afternoon after our all-aboard time, an announcement came over the speakers in our cabin. We assumed it would be the standard passenger services desk call looking for those passengers not yet onboard. But it was the Captain with the sad news that one of Royal Princess' float plane excursions to Misty Fjords had been involved in an accident and that a second plane on an independent tour also had Royal Princess guests on it. He said there was a collision of the planes and the condition of the passengers was unknown. We were all asked to contact family and friends to let them know we were okay and that a care team was available onboard for those who would like to use it. We also learned at that time that our planned 3:15 pm departure from Ketchikan would be delayed.

I am curious, is Princess facilitating people contacting their families? For instance, for those that may not have cell or internet service are they providing a way for those folks to reach out without being charged?

I've still been seeing lots of reports of people who know someone on the Royal now but have been unable to get any confirmation of their well-being even as of this morning.

31 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

I am curious, is Princess facilitating people contacting their families? For instance, for those that may not have cell or internet service are they providing a way for those folks to reach out without being charged?

I've still been seeing lots of reports of people who know someone on the Royal now but have been unable to get any confirmation of their well-being even as of this morning.

We were on a cruise one time and friends received  a message from their daughter that there was a fatal accident back home. Princess let them make as many calls as needed with no charge. I am sure in this instance they will accommodate everyone as best as possible. Thankfully most of those passengers not affected would have cell service while in port and be able to make contact with loved ones. We did a float plane on our trip to Ketchikan and had this happened I would of made sure to reach out to my daughter to let her know we were safe since our bear trip was something we anticipated for months. 

• Thanks 1

My heart just breaks for everyone involved.  We still have very fond memories of flying with Michelle. In fact, my husband's screen saver picture is of us on the "beach" where Michelle landed so we could all get out and take pictures. It is just terrible.

Monika

Having unfortunately needed Princess Care, it starts on the ship with someone to help you. They’ll even do the packing for you. They take your luggage right from your cabin and guide you off the ship. They assist you with Immigration or Customs if needed. They provide transportation and make hotel or any other arrangements for you. They then continue to offer any help or assistance you need, whatever it is, even a week or two after. I can only speak for our experience. Others may have had different experiences. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I are on the Coral Princess and were on a flight seeing tour with Michelle from Island Wings and two other couples from the Royal Princess yesterday morning.  During our flight Michelle told us that there are 1200 flights taking off and landing from Ketchikan on a daily basis, primarily float planes. There is only air traffic control in the immediate vicinity of the airport and harbour. While in the air we could see other planes at almost all times. As a nervous flyer, I was on pins the whole time, and while I enjoyed the magnificent scenery, I was very glad when we were safely back on the ground again.

We were walking around town shortly after our flight when we saw emergency response vehicles go by and heard a couple of locals saying there had been a crash involving two float planes. It was a stressful time for our friends and relatives who knew we were taking a similar tour until we contacted them to let them know we were okay. 

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this awful tragedy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We live in Anchorage and are devistated. We love seeing all the guests traveling to Alaska being so excited with their travels here. Our state is so beautiful and majestic we love living here. There is still a lot of investigating to be done. The Royal will we Disembarking in Whittier (although they say Anchorage) on Saturday. Hopefully in the next few days will bring more information to this terrible accident. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Years ago on a Princess cruise we got word that my wife's mother was in the hospital but not which hospital.  We made numerous calls to find out (we were at sea and would not see land for a few days).  Somehow these calls never showed up on our bill.  Princess is a class act

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If guests are thinking about disembarking or know of other guests who who need to arrange travel to/from Ketchikan or Juneau, Alaska Airlines can be reached at 1-800-252-7522 and has several flights to/from Seattle each day.  

Edited by Sosai X
correcting punctuation

34 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

As a follow up to the previous post, the Juneau Public Library right on the waterfront has free internet … I have used it many times.

If it’s not open you can stand outside and still access their Wi-fi to send a message. 

I flew with Randy and Mountain Air last May, and I am just devastated by this news. I sat in the front with him and he was conscientious, smart, kind, and had a strong passion for showing guests his home. 

My heart and thoughts are with all those affected during this difficult time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

So sorry to hear the news.  As others have said, thoughts and prayers to all involved or affected.

i have been on Misty Fjord tours, including the floatplane tours, several times.  I see from the news articles that one of the companies involved was Taquan Air, and I have toured with them.  You see their planes and location from the ship in Ketchikan.  I always felt safe and well cared for on their tours.  Their pilots always seemed safe, gentle, cautious, and considerate.  Again, so sorry for all.

I have done float planes several times in Alaska and have never felt unsafe, but we did Misty Fjords by boat.  Unfortunately, accidents happen and  nothing in life is 100% safe. I would hop on one again without any hesitation, but that's just me.

Condolences to everyone involved.

• Like 1