Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

I appreciate the blog but as you said people grieve in various ways.  Many people grieve when they cannot control something devastating by wanting to know more information not just feelings.  We want to protect ourselves in some fashion by trying to be more informed when it comes to our own choices.   I believe nature has evolved us to this point.

So yes if there are new facts on the crash related to weather, technical issues, passenger distraction, ....

this can be useful as a learning experience.

I am not one to close my eyes and ears and try to hide.   We all have lessons to learn from tragedies even if those lessons are not pleasant or shared with bad taste.

I was on that ships sailing from LA to Vancouver last week and met the captain and many of the staff during a tour.  I understand its not an easy time.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, mikey 5 m's said:

Thanks to everyone who posted to share information, especially Idahospuds.

I am just wondering if the Royal Princess left a bit too soon after this terrible tragedy. Should the ship have stayed longer in Ketchikan while rescue teams were still searching for survivors?

God bless everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.

As someone who is not on the scene and has no way to discern what the factors are that feed into the decision as to how long to stay at the port where the accident occurred, there is no way that I would try and second-guess the ship's captain's decision in that regard.  Perhaps you have knowledge in that area, however.

Tom

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikey 5 m's said:

I am just wondering if the Royal Princess left a bit too soon after this terrible tragedy. Should the ship have stayed longer in Ketchikan while rescue teams were still searching for survivors?

I had though about that too.  But then I realized that Princess has a care team there to help.  Their team is trained to help.  I would think that the family/friends of the PAXs who were in the horrible plane crash, would be better in a hotel than on a ship.  They would then have access to all the help that the local police, hospital and spiritual communities and care teams can give them.

This accident is just awful and I feel on land there are more resources for them.

So very sad for all.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mikey 5 m's said:

Staying too long may occur additional fees and/or penalties from the port. And unless the ship was actively engaged in the search efforts, I don't see any reason why they'd need to stay. They already stayed several hours later than they were scheduled to, in order to gather any related passengers, luggage, care team, etc. from the ship to assist with efforts in Ketchikan. And there were plenty of people in Ketchikan assisting in the search and rescue efforts.

No need to keep the other 3500 passengers there, when they paid for the rest of their cruise (and may have had paid excursions at the next stop that they were financially on the hook for). There's nothing more the ship and its passengers could do. And even if they had found another survivor, it's not like they'd be getting right back on the ship to carry on like nothing happened.

I could see your point if the ship jetted out of there with a lively deck party 30 minutes after the crash. Or if it took off without leaving behind the necessary resources.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very harsh comment!  Port fees? Are you serious? Passengers died.

Your quote:  "And even if they found another survivor, it's not like they'd be getting right back on the ship..." How heartless!

This should not be about money. 

Be sensitive. Four passengers from the Royal Princess were killed, ten were hospitalized and two others were missing at the time the ship left Ketchikan. The horrible tragedy occurred about 1 pm. I don't know what the protocols are, but friends and family of those killed, missing, and injured had to be all informed, next of kin advised, belongings needed to be packed etc.

This takes time. At the time of departure, two passengers were still unaccounted for.

I am not suggesting that the ship not leave Ketchikan at some point. 

I am curious if passengers on board have any concerns about the ship leaving early in the evening.

I understand the pressure of cruise ships to maintain a tight schedule that contains little room for delays and the domino effect it creates. 

God bless all the people affected by this terrible tragedy. 

• Like 1

According to the Captain, several of the passengers involved in the accident have been released from the hospital. 

Also, it appears we will be having the media at the dock when we arrive in Whittier. Here's the letter we received.

IMG_4804.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

How was your disembarkation, did you encounter all the media that was expected to be present?

We are staying on for the next cruise so we didn't get off the ship. We enjoyed our private yacht day instead. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, idahospud said:

We are staying on for the next cruise so we didn't get off the ship. We enjoyed our private yacht day instead. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. 

That’s excellent that you are staying on.    I do love the private yacht days as well. 😎    Enjoy this leg of your cruise!!!!    

On 5/17/2019 at 12:26 AM, mikey 5 m's said:

Very harsh comment!  Port fees? Are you serious? Passengers died.

Your quote:  "And even if they found another survivor, it's not like they'd be getting right back on the ship..." How heartless!

This should not be about money. 

Be sensitive. Four passengers from the Royal Princess were killed, ten were hospitalized and two others were missing at the time the ship left Ketchikan. The horrible tragedy occurred about 1 pm. I don't know what the protocols are, but friends and family of those killed, missing, and injured had to be all informed, next of kin advised, belongings needed to be packed etc.

This takes time. At the time of departure, two passengers were still unaccounted for.

I am not suggesting that the ship not leave Ketchikan at some point. 

I am curious if passengers on board have any concerns about the ship leaving early in the evening.

I understand the pressure of cruise ships to maintain a tight schedule that contains little room for delays and the domino effect it creates. 

God bless all the people affected by this terrible tragedy. 

I don't think the comments were harsh or heartless...maybe overly practical but I don't think harsh.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, PhoenixCruiser said:

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Who is this comment addressed to and why?  I must have missed something?

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3

Just an update!  My office manager had 6 family members in the larger plane.  Sounds like two have been released to fly home as of today.  The two most serious are now in a hotel, but not released to fly home.  They have an appointment on Wednesday for additional scans and X-rays and then will find out.

Thanks for all your prayers!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

Just an update!  My office manager had 6 family members in the larger plane.  Sounds like two have been released to fly home as of today.  The two most serious are now in a hotel, but not released to fly home.  They have an appointment on Wednesday for additional scans and X-rays and then will find out.

Excellent news!!!   Thank you so much for keeping us posted.    We will continue to pray for them.   Let us know if they have been cleared to fly home on Wednesday.  

8 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

So glad to hear this. Thanks for the update.

16 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

That is such wonderful news!! 

I read an article that one of the survivors is a retired cop, who once received the Medal of Valor for saving a woman’s life while on duty. And after this plane crashed, despite her own injuries, she swam out to rescue several of the people on board — many of whom had injuries that prevented them from swimming. Definition of a hero!

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, CORealtor said:

So happy to hear that! Please pass along word that this passenger on the Royal has kept them in her thoughts since the accident and wishes them a speedy recovery. Thanks again for the update!

Deb

So glad they are on the mend. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk