2 float planes crash in the water in Ketchikan

Coral

Two floatplanes crash near Ketchikan, Alaska; 6 people missing, Coast Guard says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/13/alaska-floatplanes-crash-rescue-crews-search/1194789001/

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Authorities-working-to-rescue-victims-of-two-float-plane-crashes-near-Ketchikan-509872001.html?fbclid=IwAR3qVE_m15hM2SvyLueHI7Sn9ZLBZDXPB6jjlyYAllEKb0DJNAZxGfS78HA 

According to reports on Princess's board from someone on the Royal Princess, one plane is a Princess excursion and the other plane had someone from the Royal Princess on it.

Edited by Coral

Sad situation. I have never felt comfortable with flight excursions in smaller planes, especially in Alaska. Fast changing weather conditions, multiple planes in the same area and sometimes pilots without a lot of experience in the area.   I know they have a good safety record, but if something goes wrong, there are the added factors of extremely cold water, remote areas that can be difficult to reach and wildlife that could reach any survivors before rescuers are able to arrive. 

Edited by JT1962

I know.. we are scouring the news too. The plane with the five dead are from the same type plane she flies (DeHavailland  Beaver) but I imagine there are many of those flying around Ketchikan. I felt very safe with her. Hate to think of it at all but can’t help but hope it wasn’t her........How tragic.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BullyLvr said:

I know.. we are scouring the news too. The plane with the five dead are from the same type plane she flies (DeHavailland  Beaver) but I imagine there are many of those flying around Ketchikan. I felt very safe with her. Hate to think of it at all but can’t help but hope it wasn’t her........How tragic.  

I just noticed it was a Beaver model, I'm so freaking out.  I reached out to ask them to confirm all are OK with Island Wings, but nothing yet... terrible either way, but Michelle and Shondra have been so nice to us... so sad

• Like 1

So sad! I know these flights can be scary, we didn't do it, but my parents did. I get the feeling these pilots are just so experienced in this, but anything can happen of course. Thoughts are with all those affected!

This article is saying they've now got 5 dead, and still 1 missing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7025713/The-Latest-10-hospitalized-floatplanes-mishap-Alaska.html

29 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

I just noticed it was a Beaver model, I'm so freaking out.  I reached out to ask them to confirm all are OK with Island Wings, but nothing yet... terrible either way, but Michelle and Shondra have been so nice to us... so sad

Please update if you hear back. I don't want to bother them as well. Praying for everyone. This is so sad. We will be there in 2 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

Please update if you hear back. I don't want to bother them as well. Praying for everyone. This is so sad. We will be there in 2 weeks. 

I will, we are scheduled for 3 months out... nothing yet

12 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

We are scheduled on the 29th. I really feel so heartbroken for everyone. I hope that Michelle and her team are safe though. 

There are a lot of planes in Ketchikan. I remember several years ago, Michelle helped/assisted during another crash.

1 hour ago, bulldogmommy said:

If anyone can confirm the plane is NOT Island Wings, that would be fantastic.  Michelle is a great pilot, praying for all involved.

Trying to find that out as well. I have flown with her multiple times. The type plane involved is one her company flies, but there are several other companies that use the same plane. 

1 hour ago, bulldogmommy said:

If anyone can confirm the plane is NOT Island Wings, that would be fantastic.  Michelle is a great pilot, praying for all involved.

Someone posted on a roll call that Michelle’s plane was not involved and that she is safe. 

• Like 5

Unfortunately the air safety in Alaska in really poor. I remember a couple years ago the Smithsonian Channel wanted to do a spinoff of Air Crash Investigations solely based on Alaska crashes and the state legislature threw a major fit claiming it would scare tourists.

Part of it is the weather and the terrain, and part of it is the fact that so many people own planes there, but still...

It would be an amazing experience but after living in Alaska and taking a couple bush planes out of necessity I don't think I'd ever trust an excursion in one.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

There are a lot of planes in Ketchikan. I remember several years ago, Michelle helped/assisted during another crash.

The reason we booked with her was because of her safety record. ❤️  I still feel sick over the loss of life though 😞 

1 minute ago, Katwoman007 said:

The reason we booked with her was because of her safety record. ❤️  I still feel sick over the loss of life though 😞 

I know - it is very sad.

One of the other companies that flies out of Ketchikan with a Beaver is Seawind Aviation. No matter which company, prayers to the families of the pilots and passengers. In any area, but especially Alaska, the general aviation community is very tight knit. My heart hurts for all involved.

20 minutes ago, Hope89 said:

Someone posted on a roll call that Michelle’s plane was not involved and that she is safe. 

We are booked with Island Wings and Michelle in 2 weeks.  I am very shaken up about this crash. My Aunt and Uncle were on this tour through Princess and on the flight right before the one that crashed. Thank goodness the staff on the ships asked the people who might have a worried family to call home!

• Like 1