Panama canal itinerary questions

poss

I get the sense that other than the canal transit itself, most of the ports aren't all that memorable?  I.e. I sometimes see that people are looking forward to that cruise mainly for the ship itself?   And for being with other CC friends.   (As the one on Splendor)   

Is one direction"better" than the other?

Is one side of the ship "better" for each of those directions?

For those of you who've done the transit, I'd love to hear some of the ports/excursions that you really enjoyed.   And for those of you who are doing it again (and again), why?   I.e. what's the great appeal of this itinerary?

Many thanks. 

I'd recommend south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) since that way you won't be sailing into the sun.

Unfortunately, the canal is one trip where the absence of an outside forward deck on Splendor (and Explorer) will be felt since that's the perfect place to be (we were on Voyager).

Port versus starboard:  if doing the Pacific to Caribbean direction, we'd opt for port since that would be landside for the most part, at least in the Pacific.

If traveling from the Pacific to the Caribbean, within the Panama Canal itself, I would prefer the starboard side.  That way you could sit on your balcony and see the most interesting workings of the locks.

Certainly agree that on the Explorer class ships the absence of an outside forward deck will be a negative while traveling through the Canal.

Edited by shuguley

poss, I personally do not see the difference between port or starboard while transiting the Panama Canal (unless you are sitting in your balcony).  Having said that, you may be able to see the "newer" canal on the starboard side if you are going east to west.

It is bloody hot in this area of the world so having an outside forward deck does not mean much to me.  Getting a good seat in the Observation Lounge is the key to fantastic viewing of the canal (in comfort).  We will be doing the canal on Splendor in March 2020 but feel that we have "been there - done that" so we will not be spending hours in the Observation Lounge but will glance at it occasionally.  

Having done both ways, IMO the Atlantic to Pacific route is the best.

Having first the Gatun locks which are 3 chamber in a row are most dramatic. From the ocean side entrance you can see all three stepping up in front of you, ending at reaching the Gatun lake. Since you are in these locks for some time you can easily go around the ship to get various vantage points to see all the locks operations. Once in the Gatun Lake the you are closed to and can see to top of the Gatun Dam which is really the engineering miracle that makes the whole canal system work.

It is unfortunate that Regent ships no longer make a port stop in Gatun lake as they did years ago. Then excursions included going onto the locks; or, a boat ride on the lower Chagres river. Regent (Raddison) also used to put on a BBQ at the  Gatun Yacht club from where you could go swimming in the  canal (lake).

We did the Panama Canal cruise on the Mariner in 2005.  We are booked on the Splendour in March 20.  We wanted to repeat the cruise because it was the most interesting one we have ever taken.   The on board lecturer who spoke about the canal was a man who had worked for 25 years for the PCA and there wasn't much he didn't know about the canal or about Panama.  The ports - we boarded in LA, stopped in San Diego and then CAbo San Lucas, Acapulco, another Mexican port whose name I have forgotten, and then in Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  Following the Transit we stopped at Key West.  Puntarenas was an outstanding port and we loved the excursion we took to the Poas volcano.   The Mexican ports - not so interesting!  Key West - this was our first time there and we liked it.  But subsequently went back after 2008 when 70% of its shops, restaurants etc were all shuttered up.  We did NOT like it then.

The day of the transit was memorable.   Started at 0530 out on deck as we saw the lights of Panama City flickering in the distance.  We stayed up on deck, enjoying the commentary from our lecturer AND someone the canal people put on board, until about 0900 when we got tired.  Really enjoyed the Miraflores locks...   Then we went to our suite (PH-A) and ordered breakfast - bagels and smoked salmon.  Ken, the New Yorked, joked that we were having "lox in the locks".  Good one that!    We anchored in the Gatun lake and went ashore.  Took a great helicopter ride over the Gatun locks and the remnant of the French canal.  Then the "folkloric" dancing started and we beat a hasty retreat to the ship!!  Dinner in the Compass Rose at a window table as we went through the locks...lovely view with the starter, then a wet concrete wall with the main course (repeated!) and finally lovely view as we sailed into the Caribbean.

This time we have a Grand suite in the stern of the Splendour, on the starboard (I think - can never keep those terms straight) side - anyway odd numbered and we will have the majesty of the Pacific sunsets to look at from our terrace!   Makes no sense to choose the other side because you are out in the shipping lanes all day long and see very little of the land anyway.  And those sunsets are amazing!    We do not, as a rule, take a cruise to go sightseeing so the fact that there are some not-so-great ports doesn't bother us.  We ARE very much looking forward to our stop in Nicaragua (if it happens!!) and to Guatemala.  There is a tour to a textile museum there that we are planning to take.  Their textiles are amazing.  Also to Costa Rica - probably this time take the train to Monteverde.   

We are also delighted that there are a lot of CC people on board and look forward to putting faces to names and to making new friends.   AND of course to experiencing a brand new, very luxurious ship!

Often overlooked is that after a few locks, being aft and looking at where you've been instead of where you're going can be excellent.  We were fortunate to have had Terry Breen on board for our one transit, and she pointed this out. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought of it. Also, the transit will take almost all day, so you will have lots of time to view it all from different places.

5 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Often overlooked is that after a few locks, being aft and looking at where you've been instead of where you're going can be excellent.  We were fortunate to have had Terry Breen on board for our one transit, and she pointed this out. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought of it. Also, the transit will take almost all day, so you will have lots of time to view it all from different places.

My husband and I were so fortunate to have Terry Breen on a Mariner Lima-Manaus cruise about 15 years ago. Does anyone know if she'll be onboard when I sail thru the Canal this October, again on Mariner? She is a wonderful conversationalist.

15 hours ago, poss said:

I get the sense that other than the canal transit itself, most of the ports aren't all that memorable?  I.e. I sometimes see that people are looking forward to that cruise mainly for the ship itself?   And for being with other CC friends.   (As the one on Splendor)   

Is one direction"better" than the other?

Is one side of the ship "better" for each of those directions?

For those of you who've done the transit, I'd love to hear some of the ports/excursions that you really enjoyed.   And for those of you who are doing it again (and again), why?   I.e. what's the great appeal of this itinerary?

Many thanks. 

Poss, not sure what the exact itinerary is that you're looking at--the ports vary quite a lot.  As you probably remember, we did Caribbean - Pacific, from Miami to Lima.  So I can comment on the Caribbean side only. Nice snorkeling in Bonaire, lovely tropical drive around Grenada (beautiful, but poor), and Colombia, which was really interesting, two stops--in Santa Marta we took a bus ride out Tayrona National Park--physically stunning, but physically demanding, unfortunately.  And Cartagena, a lovey colonial city.

But then again, our upcoming 2021 WC trip through the canal is quite different.  Still includes Aruba (submarine to a reef!),  Bonaire and Grenada, but new islands (for us), St. Lucia and Antigua.  

Haven't done a "regular" Panama trip, but I've always thought that any stops in Costa Rica would be great, but not too excited by Mexico any more.

Have gone through both ways and preferred Pacific to Atlantic. If you go that way would recommend Port side as the new canal is on the Port side of the ship and you have a great view of the new lock which is closer than the one of the Atlantic side which will be on the Starboard side as you exit. Interestingly if you go Atlantic to Pacific it will be the same way, Port in the morning and Starboard in the afternoon, so I guess I would take Port side either way. Of course if you are out and about on the ship, it does not matter much since you can go side to side. Also, when you go through the lake and Gilliard Cut the view is basically the same. I would also recommend doing at least one lock at the rear of the ship. You can go down there, no one will be there and you are in the shade, right next to the walls, as you go up and down. As others have mentioned, it takes all day, there are six locks and you can view the thing from multiple locations. At six am, everyone is jammed up front, by the third lock the crowd thins out, in the afternoon as you exit, there are no where near as many people crowding the good places for pictures, as some are already getting ready for dinner.

As for stops; when we did Mariner Sept 2016 we went San Francisco to New York. We stopped at Acapulco, Puerto Quetzel, Guatemala, Corinto, Nicaragua, Puntarenas, Cartagena and Charleston, SC. Missed Cabo due to a hurricane, but I am sure you'll stop there. The Guatemala and Nicaragua stops (as is Puntarenas) are industrial ports, but that had some good excursions into the countryside where you see volcanoes. Cartagena was a beautiful city and the old city and fort were good stops, but plan on walking on cobblestone. I think you will do basically the same stops in either direction on Regent.

Finally, always recommend anyone going through the canal should read the David McCullough book Path Between the Seas, which is the best history on the construction and frequently quoted by the ship narrators.

So appreciative of the responses from you oldies and goodies.    And haha, lox in the locks!     Good one, Ken.  Btw, I've been haunting the thread on the March 2020 Splendor cruise.    'Twill be a dandy rendezvous, for sure.

The cruise I'm half-considering is on Mariner (a ship I prefer to Explorer) in May 2020.    My husband will be turning 90 during that itinerary and it disembarks in San Fran, where we could spend time with his kids ("kids" nearing 70!) and do other things in a state that we love.    There are any number of other itineraries that we would both prefer, but the flying game has become a bit too tough for us.    We live on the west coast of FL, so at least we'd have only one flight.   (I'm not eager to embark at the port of Miami, of course, but it beats flying.)   (or does it?)

Wendy, as I think you know, I'm also waitlisted on the first leg of your World Cruise.   (Oh, are you going on a World Cruise?)   That would be a lovely 50th anniversary gift to ourselves, and if the cards fall right, we may even shoot for the 2nd leg as well.   (looong flight home)   I remember that you and David have a friend in Lima, or near Lima, and that was surely one of the reasons you have great memories of that cruise.   Can you tell me, please, whether other than the nice personal connection you very much liked the ports in Ecuador and Peru (if they were indeed the same)?

Poss - the Terminal that Regent and Oceania use at the Port of Miami is light night and day compared to MIA airport - it is really comfortable, lots of receptionists etc.  And really easy to get to.

I have learnt from posts above that our Grand Suite is on the Starboard side, which is where we were when on the same cruise on the Mariner, only that time in a PH-A.   Since the suite has a large balcony I am sure we will be able to see the new locks from that.   And since we have been through the canal once before I think it will be fun to have the view from the stern, as David said above.

Terry Breen is sensational - we were with her in Alaska and again from LA to Buenos Aires years ago.   Would be fabulous if she were on the Splendor as well!!

22 hours ago, poss said:

...  We live on the west coast of FL, so at least we'd have only one flight.   (I'm not eager to embark at the port of Miami, of course, but it beats flying.)   (or does it?)

Wendy, as I think you know, I'm also waitlisted on the first leg of your World Cruise.   (Oh, are you going on a World Cruise?)   That would be a lovely 50th anniversary gift to ourselves, and if the cards fall right, we may even shoot for the 2nd leg as well.   (looong flight home)   I remember that you and David have a friend in Lima, or near Lima, and that was surely one of the reasons you have great memories of that cruise.   Can you tell me, please, whether other than the nice personal connection you very much liked the ports in Ecuador and Peru (if they were indeed the same)?

I think that embarking in Miami definitely does beat flying, but then you have to get from the Gulf coast over there.  We have done this a couple of times, and have rented a car one-way from Dunedin, and it's worked a treat. But that might not work for you, and don't know if the only alternative is to fly from wherever you are close to (Ft. Myers?)

We have a friend in Manta, Ecuador.  Manta I would say is a take-it-or-leave it port, as far as spending the day there.  We spent almost a week there, and had a great time.  The places that stick in my mind are the nearby Pocache rainforest (an hour's drive or less, as I remember), and the nearby town of Montecristi.  It's a shopping town, but fun and bustling, lots of indigenous crafts and of course the Panama Hat makers (they originate there.)  There are some nice beaches, but it's a surf town, so swim at your peril, and no snorkeling.

Guayaquil is a big city, and the boat ride up the estuary was nice.  We did a paid excursion that visited a large orchid grower, and two other plantations, one producing cocoa and the other a grower of exotic tropical flowers, shipping internationally.  All were very interesting.  We spent time in the downtown as well since we overnighted there on the way to Manta.  It's modestly interesting to walk around, and pretty safe, but not outstandingly beautiful.

As for Peru, we are into history, archaeology, ancient cultures, etc., so there was plenty of interest.  In Trujillo (port Salaverry) we visited some pre-Incan ancient temples and did a lunch at a horse ranch with a performance of riders and horses.

In Lima, we spent a three or four days, don't have friends there, but we did have great private guides.  Lots to see there, a couple of great pre-Columbian museums that are stress-free (i.e., air-conditioned.)  We also went to some ancient sites there.  Lima is also known for food, and the ceviche is ubiquitous and wonderful.

One highlight was a boat trip out to the Palamino Islands from Callao.  This was in a small boat with about 20 other tourists, almost all South Americans, little English.  I was happy I took my seasick meds, very choppy.  They took us out to the islands to a giant sea lion colony, and then everybody (but us) jumped into the water (mostly in wetsuits) and swam with the animals.  They had a couple of guides in the water to help people (visualize young children hanging onto noodles.)  It was great, although I had NO desire to get into that frigid water.  The sea lions were numerous, active and huge.  Later we saw some Humboldt penguins on another island, from a distance.  This is not offered by Regent as an excursion as far as I can see, but it's a common boat tour and we booked it through our guides.

Coastal Peru is a desert and very hot at that time of year, at least it was for us, just FYI.  The ancient sites were very hot especially.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

What tours do people like to do from Colon?   (Since we don't especially enjoy just being on the ship, and there are so many, many sea days anyway, I'm trying to get a sense of how many ports will be of interest to us.   Colon shows a handful of excursions, but I don't understand exactly what they are.)

Always, thanks.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:04 AM, Hambagahle said:

I should also have said that we are VERY excited about a walking tour of old Cartagena - we have never been there and the photos of the old town make it look wonderful!!

We will also be walking around Cartagena.  Dennis is anxious to purchase some kind of jewelry for me there (have no what - it will be a belated 40th anniversary present).  No matter what he plans on buying, it should be an interesting day in Cartagena.

We probably will do excursions in Nicaragua and Guatemala (particularly Guatemala since Dennis had to do a great animal oriented excursion by himself last February since I couldn't walk after I fell).  Nicaragua does not hold much interest but a quick tour to see the divers should be ok.  Will stay onboard for Cabo as we have no desire to get ripped off or get food poisoning again (although wouldn't mind getting having a fish spa - it is relatively close to the ship).

Perhaps we have traveled too much because we no longer like to repeat places very often and that includes the Panama Canal.  Yes - it is great and certainly worth the time to sit for hours so that you can see as much as possible.  We have lots of photos of the canal, locks, etc.  We are doing the cruise for the ship - not the itinerary as we find the itinerary rather mundane.  

5 hours ago, poss said:

What tours do people like to do from Colon?  .....

Always, thanks.

It is very rare that Regent stops in Colon. Lucky you. Take any of the tours that include the  " Lookout at the Gatun Locks."  There several that include this stop. Me, I would recommend the one the has the "Eco-Tour". This one also take you on a boat tour of the lower Chagres River, below the Gatun dam. You get tot see the dam and also the jungle.

Viewing the Canal operations from shore-side, in the island between the two lock chambers is a totally different experience that the one from the ship. IMO you haven't really seen the Panama Canal if you haven't actually stood on the locks and watch a ship do a transit in, up/down and out of the chamber.

J

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

It is very rare that Regent stops in Colon. Lucky you. Take any of the tours that include the  " Lookout at the Gatun Locks."  There several that include this stop. Me, I would recommend the one the has the "Eco-Tour". This one also take you on a boat tour of the lower Chagres River, below the Gatun dam. You get tot see the dam and also the jungle.

Viewing the Canal operations from shore-side, in the island between the two lock chambers is a totally different experience that the one from the ship. IMO you haven't really seen the Panama Canal if you haven't actually stood on the locks and watch a ship do a transit in, up/down and out of the chamber.

J

I wanted to second this vote.  I did an excursion on another line that included a visit to the Miraflores Locks.  I could have spent all day there watching ships go through.  It was amazing seeing the size of the ships going through.  So if you have the opportunity to see the working of the locks up close, either Miraflores or Gatun, I would do it.

• Like 1

Can't speak for the other ports, but I just got back from Panama (NOT a cruise, stayed @ Westin Playa Bonita) and only hung around Panama city area, unfortunately. The stacks of ships waiting to go through the canal was the sight to see from the shore. 30-40 every day. Uber is a definite thing in Panama City and area if you are adventurous and want to go out on your own.

If you have the opportunity, you might want to see the old town of Panama City and a tour of the locks if they offer one. The Minaflores set has a good visitor center and great view of the locks when operating. I understand the expansion is quite limited for visitors so if you are offered a tour to see them it might be worthwhile just for the novelty since 99% of people can't or don't go there.

As for the Panama city, one thing that really took me as being special is the number of souvenirs that are for sale are actually made from locals. The "made in china" junk that almost every other major city tourist place doesn't seem to have taken hold here. You can get legit, unique Panamanian items for great prices. 

A quick comment, as I have provided previous thoughts on port excursions and other aspects having done several Canal crossings, both Carib to Pacific, and visa versa.

These are encapsulated on Page 27 of the Regent general thread under the caption, "FYI Navigator to Cancel ports in Guatemala and Nicaragua."  So, will not repeat same which was provided when aboard Navigator for that particular July 2018 L.A. to NYC Canal crossing.  Except:  reemphasize reading McCullough's book before making one's first Canal crossing.  As to Cartagena--what I recall from our city/museum tour was the extreme (even for me) heat, uneven pavement, and aggressive street vendors. 

We will be aboard Splendor in March, 2020 doing yet-another crossing, this time San Diego to Miami.  Cannot resist a postscript to the "locks within the locks" comment.  My input last July was that, while experiencing going through one particular lock midway through the crossing, I decided to repair to La Veranda and seek out a bagel. 

Chew on that one. 

Regards,

GOARMY!