Astounding event happened for humanity

JMorris271

I don"t know where to post this here , so forgive me if it is the wrong place.

We were coming home from our 2 week cruise Japan via Tokyo International Airport on April 27 and had ridden the Skyliner train. Once arriving at NRT, we saw

that my luggage was taken from the train by someone before we could exit.  One lg suitcase hard shell and a smaller carry on. where I had my tablet,cloths and phone with 2 weeks worth of the photos I took, gifts and ect.

.  We reported it to the train reps there at the airport where the train arrives but didn't have time to go to the police due to our flight time. Once home, we contact them by E mail.to try go get a report for insurance purposes.  Nothing had been turned in and we gave up hope.

What a thing to happen on the very last day of our trip!

I went and purchased a new phone, tablet and underwear that I lost last week including my very dear Clemson Football National Championship sweatshirt was gone.

Today, we were notified by the Tokyo police that both of the pieces of luggage have been recovered, fully intact with all of the contents right down to my phone, tablet ,sweatshirt and rum inside.

Not only that but because we had several tags from the Millennium with our name and address on the bags, the police have recovered ANDas of today, already sent both pieces to us here in SC. USA.

I am in tears, What else can I say except tag all of your luggage.

This was not because of luck. It was because of the goodness consideration in some people.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

I don"t know where to post this here , so forgive me if it is the wrong place.

We were coming home from our 2 week cruise Japan via Tokyo International Airport on April 27 and had ridden the Skyliner train. Once arriving at NRT, we saw

that my luggage was taken from the train by someone before we could exit.  One lg suitcase hard shell and a smaller carry on. where I had my tablet,cloths and phone with 2 weeks worth of the photos I took, gifts and ect.

.  We reported it to the train reps there at the airport where the train arrives but didn't have time to go to the police due to our flight time. Once home, we contact them by E mail.to try go get a report for insurance purposes.  Nothing had been turned in and we gave up hope.

What a thing to happen on the very last day of our trip!

I went and purchased a new phone, tablet and underwear that I lost last week including my very dear Clemson Football National Championship sweatshirt was gone.

Today, we were notified by the Tokyo police that both of the pieces of luggage have been recovered, fully intact with all of the contents right down to my phone, tablet ,sweatshirt and rum inside.

Not only that but because we had several tags from the Millennium with our name and address on the bags, the police have recovered ANDas of today, already sent both pieces to us here in SC. USA.

I am in tears, What else can I say except tag all of your luggage.

This was not because of luck. It was because of the goodness consideration in some people.

Right on. 

It would be interesting to know the story behind the recovery.  It is pretty unusual to have that kind of luggage theft in Japan (it is too common in Italy and some other parts of Europe).  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It would be interesting to know the story behind the recovery.  It is pretty unusual to have that kind of luggage theft in Japan (it is too common in Italy and some other parts of Europe).  

Hank

We once ended up bringing home luggage that wasn’t ours, I think DH drove it to the airport where the owner was. Family of 7, had 5 young kids, felt terrible.

4 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Sake drinkers don't like rum.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

Always check your luggage tags, just to make sure it's YOURS!  We add ribbons to our luggage...all the same color, on every handle...so it's easier to spot.....but you never know that someone else didn't do the same thing!  Check the tags!

honestly this does not surprise me at all.   as a nation, the Japanese are among the most civilized, polite and honest  people you could ever hope to meet.   even in Tokyo you can safely leave your  door unlocked without fear.  

• Like 1

What a fantastic story. Thank you.

At one point I had a grey suitcase with the handle wrapped in tie-dye duct tape. Very distinctive, and I figured nobody else would do that. Then came the day when a gentleman and i grabbed each other's suitcase, checked the tag, and looked confused. He had exactly the same idea i did - grey suitcase with the handle wrapped in the same color tie-dye duct tape i had found.

Thanks for sharing this positive experience.  Sure beats all the negative things posted on these boards.  Had a similar experience recently, albeit on a much smaller scale.  I left my phone on the plane returning home from my last cruise.  Went out and got a new one the next day as I was certain I would never see the old one again.  About a week or so later, got a call from United Airlines lost & found department.  Someone actually found it and turned it in!  I was reunited with my old phone a few days later.  Really restored my faith in humanity that there are still good, honest people out there.

UPDATE

It turns out that the police's idea of 

'"returned to us" has a different meaning in Japan than it does to me.

What they meant to say was that they had released my luggage to a fellow that works at the same company in Tokyo as my wife does here in the US and that he is the person that was to ship it on to us which he did through a courior company in Tokyo called TNT which operates in the US

• Like 1

TNT has notified this friend that the shipment he dropped off for us is being stopped and RETURNED to him because of suspicous content in the package.  I have no idea what they are talking about except maybe  rum mini bottles!

And here we go again.

Edited by JMorris271

I'm so glad you received your luggage with contents intact.  As others have said, it is highly unusual for things to be stolen in Japan (not that it doesn't happen), but as soon as you posted, I wondered if someone mistakenly took it as their own.  I'm sure you'll add some unique identifiers the next time you travel!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

Well, I guess this is some progress knock on wood. 

Our friend reported that he opened the case again, went through the contents just to double check that all was well.  It was so we'll see.

I got an Email verifying that the Luggage package was taken back to the FedX shipping office and was in transit. WooHoo.

But when I checked the tracking number out. so far, this package is stiil at NRT. HMMMM?

Wonders of wonders!  Home At last! My recovered luggage has been returned to me.  The only thing missing is my 5 mini bottles of rum taken out during a search to see if all of the potentially dangerous objects were removed.

20190523_134248.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing and glad to know everything worked out for you.  Having been to Japan many times, we have never experienced any type of crime there...and the Japanese are downright polite.  When I first read your post, we were guessing perhaps your luggages were simply taken by mistake.  Again, thank you for sharing.