Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

Apparently Regent has abandoned its longstanding tipping policy and the suggestion to donate to the Crew Welfare Fund. 

The following was published in today’s “Passages” on the Mariner:

Crew Gift Certificate Program 

Our warm and friendly crew always aims to go above and beyond to make you smile. Now there’s another way for you to recognize those crew members that made your experience even more memorable. As a part of a new program, you can reward crew members for particularly exceptional service with an onboard gift certificate. Visit Reception (deck 5) for details and to purchase. 

As an FYI, this can only be done with cash or refundable OBC. 

Non-refundable credits cannot be used. 

I wonder where this Gift Certificate is valid??  If in the on board shops I doubt it will have any benefit at all to the crew --  I have never found anything to buy in those shops (except for Advil!) that I needed...

Plus - this looks to me as though Regent is moving away from the "Tips included" policy - I think this is a mistake.  the Crew Welfare Fund benefits all the crew - especially those behind the scenes...

This was discussed on the Regent World Cruise site earlier this month. The gift certificates can be used by the Crew for the spa, boutiques and Internet. I am not sure how I feel about this. We have always supported the Crew Welfare Fund.

I hate this.   I agree that the unseen crew are at a disadvantage,  in addition, it creates a motive for insincerity rather than what seems like genuine graciousness of most staff.  I also hate the tipping culture and the class distinctions it emphasizes.  Do your job, receive a fair wage, and behave nicely to everyone.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, forgap said:

I hate this.   I agree that the unseen crew are at a disadvantage,  in addition, it creates a motive for insincerity rather than what seems like genuine graciousness of most staff.  I also hate the tipping culture and the class distinctions it emphasizes.  Do your job, receive a fair wage, and behave nicely to everyone.  

Very, very well said. Leave things alone.

• Like 4

Leave the crew welfare fund in place, please!!!!  "Unseen" crew contribute to the overall Regent experience, and they should not be left out.  This Certificate Program is a terrible idea in my opinion.

• Like 2

It appears to be a way for Regent to benefit from passengers’ interest in giving specific crewmembers additional tips.  This way the crewmember has to use the certificate on board rather than spend the cash tip somewhere else.  I expect that most crewmembers would rather use cash tips to benefit their families.  We prefer donating to the Crew Welfare Fund, and this new Gift Certificate idea is a terrible alternative.

• Like 3

Ridiculously self-serving program for Regent.  Not only does it exclude the majority of crew who are not in front of passengers, but restricts the use to high margin items benefiting the company. No thank you!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, forgap said:

Agree! I'm very sorry , but with the exorbitant prices that Regent charges, I will not be tipping extra any time soon, unless a crew member truly goes beyond the call of duty. That hasnt happened, but if it were to happen, I would give them cash, not those ridiculous certificates they're now peddling

Edited by cruiseluv

Very ridiculous. If someone wanted to tip a crew member why would they go to all the trouble to go to reception to by a limited use gift certificate when they could just give cash? I believe its in very poor taste for a cruise line that says its all inclusive, that gratuities are included to even talk about tipping let alone devise a method to do it.

• Like 1

The more I think about this Certificate program, the more annoyed I get. 

When I'm on the Navigator this fall, I'm just supposed to forget about the guys who are scraping and painting the hull, just because my suite attendant, waiters, and bartenders are the ones who are "visible" and "taking care of me"?  Regent, are you saying that the dishwashers, engine room personnel, and laundry workers don't matter to the passengers?   Guess what?....They certainly do and we appreciate their hard work.

In the past we have always contributed to the Crew Welfare Fund, because all staff would benefit.

I'd like to meet the bonehead(s) who thought this ill-conceived notion would fly.

I'm usually a very easy-going person, but this Certificate nonsense has put me over the edge.  End of rant!😀

• Like 2

.....and the folks who tip in cash (despite Regent’s suggestions not to do so) will tip anyway no matter what the policy dictates.  Why come up with another scheme?  

This is a terrible idea and counters the “tips included” marketing.  Perhaps the next brochure should read “All tips are included except when you want to buy a gift certificate, slip the crew some cash, or contribute to the crew welfare fund.”   And, I hate the guilt inducing dilemma of being seen as a cheapskate vs. a high roller vs. someone who doesn’t esteem the staff.   

I think I would much rather the crew welfare fund take a higher marketing profile with verbiage on how it is used.   if you have OBC - refundable or non-refundable- that should go to this fund if you choose.  

I agree about the certificate idea, really don't care for this.  Tipping or crew fund really does the same 

thing.  Many of you said when giving to the fund the crew knows about it because you've said they thank you for giving.  So to me what is the difference.  I for one think tips are included in the fee you pay to cruise for normal service because that is what Regent states, but Regent also (on CC post) have stated that if someone

does something outstanding it's OK to give additional tip(s) to those crew members.  I can't believe that during a cruise outstanding service doesn't happen---I've always had crew members go above what I except.

I've also seen guest on a cruise treat crew members without respect and expect too much!

So at the end of the cruise and only at the end I decide who and how much extra I want to reward in the form of an additional tip and give it to them in private with at thank you.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 1

Here we go again discussing tipping. Frankly this new Regent "policy" is nothing else that a cynical marketing ploy on their part to increase their own revenues via higher sales at boutiques, spa and internet. They must think we're dupes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I’m about to get on a ship today and also find this idea horrible.  I hope Regent takes notice. 

You may want to write a comment on the mid-cruise or final cruise comment card.  As evidenced by this thread, it seems that we all agree that this is not a good idea (one of the few times that there is agreement on a tipping thread).

P.S.  Not sure why Regent does not permit donating extra OBC's to the Crew Fund which, In my opinion, is a good use of OBC's.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2

Perhaps I am wrong but the announcement refers to another way of rewarding staff which seems to imply the crew welfare fund, which I think is one of the best ideas at sea btw, will remain. If so I will ignore cash and gift certificates and continue to say a little thank you to the entire crew.

The latest ploy is one of the worst conceived ideas I have ever heard of.

• Thanks 1

The easiest way to express one's displeasure is simply not to buy the darn things!  I'll sure join the boycott.

I certainly hope the boneheads in Miami that thought up this idea are reading, and paying attention to, this thread.

Edited by shuguley

I wonder how the crew reacted to this.......what exactly would they want in the boutique?  When would they have time to use spa services?  And, I think that free internet access should be a benefit of working long hours and being away from your family for months at a time.  Just my humble opinion.....

I'm confused.  Is the option to donate to the Crew Fund gone?  Or is this an additional way to recognize the crew, albeit an individual crew member only.  And I agree the gift certificates is a dumb idea.