Chef's Table Question

Do you dine with any of the staff, like the Captain or is just other guest? I'm planning our 25th wedding anniversary trip and I know my husband would love being able to converse with the Captain or Head of Engineering, etc. about the ship over dinner but if it's just a bunch of other guest then it wouldn't be something we'd be interested in as we can talk to other guest anywhere. TIA

Hi

Sorry... just a bunch of other guests. 😁 There are some opportunities to speak with the ship officers, but they aren't typically set up for any prolonged discussion about ship operations with the public, more the idea of taking questions. This would be the case on pretty much all the mass market cruise lines mainly because of the large number of passengers involved, rather than not wanting to socialize. You do see on occasion how some captains make more of an effort to be out there "mingling", but that would be an exception and just a personal preference. You can imagine many people would rather not "talk shop" over dinner. There are behind the scenes tours when you could ask specific questions (not necessarily with the captain).

3 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Sorry... just a bunch of other guests. 😁 There are some opportunities to speak with the ship officers, but they aren't typically set up for any prolonged discussion about ship operations with the public, more the idea of taking questions. This would be the case on pretty much all the mass market cruise lines mainly because of the large number of passengers involved, rather than not wanting to socialize. You do see on occasion how some captains make more of an effort to be out there "mingling", but that would be an exception and just a personal preference. You can imagine many people would rather not "talk shop" over dinner. There are behind the scenes tours when you could ask specific questions (not necessarily with the captain).

Thanks. I figured as much, especially since its called the Chefs Table. We have done the Behind the fun tour and he took full advantage of being able to talk to the ships captain then. We're going to book a captain's suite as part of the celebration and I thought that would just make my husbands day. Maybe another behind the fun tour is in order. 

With all of that said, the Chef's Table was awesome. Time in the kitchen with several chef's and amazing samples. Then a private dining room with an incredible 7 course dinner. Truly one of the best "Chef's Menu" type of meals I've ever had.

2 minutes ago, kd1irk said:

With all of that said, the Chef's Table was awesome. Time in the kitchen with several chef's and amazing samples. Then a private dining room with an incredible 7 course dinner. Truly one of the best "Chef's Menu" type of meals I've ever had.

I agree my wife and I attended with some friends of ours. One was an ex Navy self described "redneck" and he said it was absolutely one of the best dinners and most enjoyable times he has had. I thought he would like it but was a little surprised by how much.