Comedy Club Hits new Low

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

• Like 3

We've seen a couple of pretty bad performances but nothing worth writing on CC about. It's not easy getting up in front of a crowd and be funny. Some times you just gotta chalk it up to a bad night and move on.

If it's advertised as adult that's what I'd expect and if I didn't find it funny I would leave.

I fully understand what you mean but sometimes we have to judge for ourselves and not rely on others to censure things for us.

• Like 8

I agree, but so many times it is really funny and not crude.  This was the worst, which is why I wrote.  I guess I’ll just cross this off my list of things to do especially with my adult children.  I was just curious if others thought some minor guidelines would be nice.  It’s such a diverse audience. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I've avoided it because so many other things on Royal that are advertised as "adult" are actually completely family friendly in content, so I basically just avoid anything that says "adult oriented" because I assume it won't actually be adult content (like the adult only karaoke, they had all the same songs as the other karaoke venues, nothing "adult" about it)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Debrad128 said:

I didn’t leave.  Have you seen how they react to people who leave if just to go to the restroom?  I should have.  

Yes. Been to plenty of the adult only comedy shows on cruises. We expect and except anything goes at those shows as it should be that way. If you didn't care for the show you should have left. Regardless of possibly being part of the act for a few seconds. 

Edited by davekathy

42 minutes ago, Debrad128 said:

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

There is never a comedy act that has 100% of the people liking it.  With that being said, and that it is adults only, I would say, that maybe you misunderstood the potential to be.  Sex is a common topic in adult comedy.  If you find sex to be disgusting, you should also not go.  Nothing wrong with your opinion, since it is yours. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Debrad128 said:

One more comment, sex is not disgusting.  His portrayal was.  

Well said.  Personally I wouldn't have been offended if it were just me & SO but I would have been mortified if watching with my teenage kids or parents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debrad128 said:

I agree, but so many times it is really funny and not crude.  This was the worst, which is why I wrote.  I guess I’ll just cross this off my list of things to do especially with my adult children.  I was just curious if others thought some minor guidelines would be nice.  It’s such a diverse audience. 

They pretty much lay the guidelines at the beginning.  Anything goes.

44 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If you didn't care for the show you should have left. Regardless of possibly being part of the act for a few seconds. 

Agreed, it would only be a blip of their act, if at all.

12 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Well said.  Personally I wouldn't have been offended if it were just me & SO but I would have been mortified if watching with my teenage kids or parents.

The kids have to be at least 18 to be in the comedy club, so they are a mature teen at least by age.  I doubt that I'd be offended if Owen was with us, unless the comedian was asking me questions directly.  On that note, Owen should be more embarrassed than us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So who decides the guidelines?   I personally do not enjoy the profanity laced and graphic style of comedy that has become prevalent.  Personally, I do not like it, for example, I like early Robin Williams much better.  But imposing "parameters" is a scary thing.  It was an adult show, so expect "adult" content.  But versions of that particular joke (I didn't hear it, but I am sure of the jest of it) have been around forever.

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of the time My wife and I took her parents to see a show in Las Vegas.  I guess she didn't think about how prevalent topless showgirls were.  She was clearly embarrassed.  My father-in-law saw this, so he started to talk to me about comparing sizes and shapes.  I miss him.

Edited by MrMarc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

I think the real issue is the difference between the comedy club on Carnival and that on Royal Caribbean. 

Royal Caribbean does a lot of things right, but stand up comedy seems to be on area where Royal Caribbean needs to step up their game. I've seen stand up on Carnival and it is very good. Carnival's partnership with George Lopez seems to be paying off.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I think the real issue is the difference between the comedy club on Carnival and that on Royal Caribbean. 

Royal Caribbean does a lot of things right, but stand up comedy seems to be on area where Royal Caribbean needs to step up their game. I've seen stand up on Carnival and it is very good. Carnival's partnership with George Lopez seems to be paying off.

I believe the relationship with George Lopez has ended.

• Like 2