Comedy Club Hits new Low

4 minutes ago, vidsmart said:

That’s fair—stand-up is so subjective. I saw him on a show with 4 comedians in 2018 and I found him the 4th funniest! But I can imagine the collaboration with him would be productive given his longevity and high profile and thus the contacts he has. 

Fair enough.

Comedy is supposed to make some people uncomfortable.  Comics are supposed to challenge the audience on current events, sex, racism and anything else to make the audience uncomfortable. 

If if you don’t understand comedy, call 911 and stay away from comedy clubs. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/florida-man-calls-911-after-comedian-makes-middle-east-joke

Edited by sullyair
Bad url html code
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

If the "comic" ever harasses you if you get up to leave.  Just explain to them that you figured out you were in the wrong place.  You were looking for the comedy show.  But be sure you leave very quickly after that, you won't want to hear his responses.

No one deserves to be harassed at a show if they're not enjoying it and get up and leave.  I'd complain to the higher-ups and let my displeasure be known.

45 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Was his name Perry? We saw him on Celebrity (I don't know if he also works on Royal). He has a large following, but I thought he was horrible. Most of his "comedy" was insulting certain passengers. Very rude, but there are people that thinks it funny. 

Perry does not do gross "shock jock" comedy.  Never uses four letter words.  However, it is true he does give certain passengers an insult or two and they are usually delighted to be singled out.  There are many famous "insult" comedians with great followings (Joan Rivers, Don Rickles, Rodney Dangerfield to name a few.) Loved by many but not all.  You are obviously not in the former category.

I agree.  Years ago in a royal cruise out if Puerto Rico we saw “two funny guys”.  It was in the main auditorium and our kids were with us.  It was hysterical and we still laugh thinking about it.  Glad to see I’m not the only one that wishes it were better.  

• Like 1

With the adult comedy shows I've gone to, I personally found it wasn't adult enough. It was almost as if they were afraid to go too raunchy. Either way, I usually stay for the entire show as they are entertaining.

• Like 2

All that I know is that when I read reviews for Carnival ships, a lot of people write favorably about their experiences at the comedy club. More often than not, when someone reviews Royal Caribbean's comedy club, the experience seems to be negative. It's just an impression that has formed for me while lurking on both boards.

My only personal experience so far is on Carnival and the comedy was great. My next two cruises are on Royal Caribbean and I'm curious as to what I'll see. I appreciate good live comedy and witty comedians who are quick on their toes.

3 hours ago, MrMarc said:

But as time went by, the F word became every other word and he spent a lot of the show grabbing himself.  Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.    It the same as George Carlin, I liked him much more before he went political.   I don't want to be shocked, grossed out or have my political views reinforced or attacked.  I want to laugh.

So it sounds like you graduated to the alumnae side.

Comedy is edgy.   If you disagree with the general content then don't attend the comedy shows.  If enough people do this then the comedians booked may be to more to your liking.

Nice thing about a cruise ship is most of the entertainment is "free".  If you don't like a show simply walk out.

11 hours ago, Debrad128 said:

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

This sounds like the same guy I saw on the Oasis last November. He spent a lot of time on the oral sex angle. I was with my mother and I had taken her on the cruise because we just lost my grandmother. I was hoping to have some laughs to relieve our grief. Instead, I was mortified sitting through this part of the show next to my mom.  We didn’t leave but I was very uncomfortable. 

Royal listens.  For a while the food was going downhill.  This cruise in April on the harmony was a complete turn around.  The food, presentation and service were tremendously improved.  It’s hard to say how many wish the comedy was funnier and less raunchy compared to how many like it the way it is. They really do care. I think I just shouldn’t go anymore but if I do and I don’t like it I think I’ll leave and it would be great if anyone else offended would leave as well.  I don’t know why some suggested comedy was supposed to make you uncomfortable, I thought it was supposed to be funny and make you laugh.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gatour said:

I find the reference to early Robin Williams a bit amusing.  Around 1983 or 1984, Robin Williams was the headliner for Gator Growl.  For those who don't know, it was a "pep rally" the night before homecoming at the University  of Florida.

It took place in the stadium at that time that sat around 72,000 people.  Half alumnae and half students.  I was one of the students.  All of the students loved the show, while many of the alumnae were offended they were expecting Robin Williams of Mork and Mindy and not Robin Williams the stand up comedian.  The next year Gator Growl was hosted by Bob Hope.  Let's just say the students were not impressed as many of his jokes were tired.

I do think modern comics may go over the line sometimes  in my opinion, however this is just my opinion.  If I am attending a show where it becomes to uncomfortable, I get up and leave.  If they want to "heckle" me so be it.  It will only take me 5 to 10 seconds to exit the room.  They can then continue with their show, and I can continue with my life somewhere else.

In regards to the post that attending a show with just your spouse vs attending a show with spouse along with family members, may make you uncomfortable.  If a show advertised that it has adult content, assume you may be uncomfortable attending the show in the latter situation and DO NOT ATTEND.

Different strokes for different folks.

Lol Robin Williams was filthy and told hilarious jokes. Half his routines were about drugs. When he came in 1982 the UF alumnae lost their minds so we got lame Bob Hope. Then the following year we got Bill Cosby but he said something controversial but was hilarious. That resulted in  The Smuthers Brothers and those yoyo tricks the following year.. Yoyo tricks for amped stadium of college students.

This is why we do not let the most prudish of the group choose the comedians or suggest "parameters". Free shows are optional and you should leave any show you do not enjoy. 

As far as reporting to a higher up if the comedian heckles you...🤔🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, voyager70 said:

No one deserves to be harassed at a show if they're not enjoying it and get up and leave.  I'd complain to the higher-ups and let my displeasure be known.

Yes, I understand you went to an "adult" comedy.  Yes, I see, you got up in the middle of the show because they said something sexual.  Yes, I see you went to the "LOL" adult "LOL" comedy show, and you thought "LOL" that it would be a nice "LMAO" family show.  They poked fun at you? Oh boy, "LOL", that is so shocking.  I will definitely make a note of it that the "Adult" show was very "Adult". 

The bottom line is, do not go to adult comedy, if you think you will be offended, or if you oppose the "F" word, or references to crude sex.  Just don't go.  Complaining about it, won't help, because it is optional, and a choice, and it was advertised as Adult.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, awestover89 said:

like the adult only karaoke, they had all the same songs as the other karaoke venues, nothing "adult" about it

Maybe they meant only adults were allowed to take part, not that the songs had sware words in them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes, I understand you went to an "adult" comedy.  Yes, I see, you got up in the middle of the show because they said something sexual.  Yes, I see you went to the "LOL" adult "LOL" comedy show, and you thought "LOL" that it would be a nice "LMAO" family show.  They poked fun at you? Oh boy, "LOL", that is so shocking.  I will definitely make a note of it that the "Adult" show was very "Adult". 

The bottom line is, do not go to adult comedy, if you think you will be offended, or if you oppose the "F" word, or references to crude sex.  Just don't go.  Complaining about it, won't help, because it is optional, and a choice, and it was advertised as Adult.

What does that have to do with my post 😕

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

We always have a great time at QUEST. 

We used to enjoy Quest.  After 30 or so times it became so repetitive it wasn't funny anymore.  Not to mention the people who bring bags of stuff they know they will be asked for just to win a stupid key chain.  I'd rather spend my late nights elsewhere.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Virtopia said:

With the adult comedy shows I've gone to, I personally found it wasn't adult enough. It was almost as if they were afraid to go too raunchy. Either way, I usually stay for the entire show as they are entertaining.

👍😎👍...right on.

Edited by davekathy

23 hours ago, Debrad128 said:

...  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex...

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

This can be a real problem! 🙄

What the need for oral sex or a person being unwilling? 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

We used to enjoy Quest.  After 30 or so times it became so repetitive it wasn't funny anymore.  Not to mention the people who bring bags of stuff they know they will be asked for just to win a stupid key chain.  I'd rather spend my late nights elsewhere.

Never been to the Quest, what exactly happens?

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I am not easily offended, at all.  Heck, my all time favorite jokes I've heard can rarely be told again unless in very familiar territory.  That said, I still find some that do feel more offensive than funny and am compelled to leave.  I can say I really though the comedians on our last Carnival cruise were great, though one who was super entertaining at the regular show, so brought us back for the adult one - when we came back in for the adult version, he was dressed in a full squirrel costume, I knew then it wasn't going to be my kind of show and continued walking out the back.  

13 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

We've been to a lot also. For us it's all about the audience participation. Always different and funny. But to each their own.